Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Fresh Face

Hi, I'm Kate. I am a R**, sexual abuse, and two time attempted suicide survivor.(although that is a weird miracle in itself as G** was not willing to let my attempts even work). This little lady loves to read. I use it as an escape from the reality of my own world. I especially sink in to fantasy and mystery novels; some of those being, Harry Potter, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, Lord of The Rings, as well as many others. I enjoy hiking, kayaking and watching TV shows on Netflix. 

I used to think i;d grow up and be a poet or an author. I was discouraged though after a relative told me i would never get any of my work famously published. I stopped writing for a long while. However, recently, i've taken it up again and it made me realize how much i missed it; how much i really got out when i was writing; how therapeutic it is for me. So hopefully, i'll bust out some really good work soon and submit them to some poetry contests or something. 

Edited by deeppoet
grammar issues

Hi Kate, welcome to AS. I am sorry for what you have been through in the past. You will find this a helpful site, with many who will support you.

I am glad you took up something you gave up years ago.

Patricia

Thanks, i joined another site similar to this one a couple days ago. it's called Survivors Chat. It might be another good resource for others. 

2 hours ago, deeppoet said:

Hi, I'm Kate. I am a R**, sexual abuse, and two time attempted suicide survivor.(although that is a weird miracle in itself as G** was not willing to let my attempts even work). This little lady loves to read. I use it as an escape from the reality of my own world. I especially sink in to fantasy and mystery novels; some of those being, Harry Potter, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, Lord of The Rings, as well as many others. I enjoy hiking, kayaking and watching TV shows on Netflix. 

I used to think i;d grow up and be a poet or an author. I was discouraged though after a relative told me i would never get any of my work famously published. I stopped writing for a long while. However, recently, i've taken it up again and it made me realize how much i missed it; how much i really got out when i was writing; how therapeutic it is for me. So hopefully, i'll bust out some really good work soon and submit them to some poetry contests or something. 

Hi Kate,

Welcome to AS. I am very sorry for all the trauma you have experienced, but you have found a very supportive site. We all need healthy escapes, and writing is one of those healthy ways. I dabble myself, tho have never been able to shared. I am sorry you were discouraged in pursuing it, but if you are interested in doing so, we do have a forum called Healing Thru Creativity. I do wish you success on regaining that aspect of you. I also wish you the best on this journey of healing.

Mary

:youcanheal:

4 hours ago, deeppoet said:

Welcome Kate, and I am sorry to hear of the circumstances which brought you to this site...I can relate to reading..with so many books available you can't go wrong. I've made reading one of my primary ways to get by, because it is nice to use my imagination and also because I am a very conservative and 'solo' kind of girl too.. I am looking for good books to start reading soon. I love mystery and fiction best. 

Otherwise I also write, and find it very cathartic and face it, you can write whatever you want and no one can limit your imagination! I hope you can overcome other people's doubts about your own ability to succeed. I feel the same about becoming a writer/poet, and used to write alot but lost interest because I don't want publicity really. Now I just write in a journal. 

Welcome to AS, deeppoet! I am sorry for what you were put through and for what your relative said. Hope finding your way back to poetry may help with your healing and that you find lots of support here. 

On 4/7/2017 at 11:37 AM, Ian37 said:

I have not yet published anything other than educational articles at this point but am working on an educational book and also a movie script. My hope is to get these out there soon so as to help others. Even still, there is such a beauty within writing in general and it's something you should do for your own self if it is something truly enjoyed.

I really hope you do get those published! I think the more literature out there about these tough topics the better! 

On 4/7/2017 at 0:41 PM, MeBeMary said:

Hi Kate,

Welcome to AS. I am very sorry for all the trauma you have experienced, but you have found a very supportive site. We all need healthy escapes, and writing is one of those healthy ways. I dabble myself, tho have never been able to shared. I am sorry you were discouraged in pursuing it, but if you are interested in doing so, we do have a forum called Healing Thru Creativity. I do wish you success on regaining that aspect of you. I also wish you the best on this journey of healing.

Mary

:youcanheal:

Thank you Mary,

I did find Healing Thru Creativity and have posted a poem I wrote there. IT felt really good share it. Even though it isn't the most elaborate work  lol. 

Hi Kate! Welcome to AS! I'm so glad you survived. Safe hugs :hug: if ok. I hope you find this site inspirational in your healing process. Keep writing. I believe through tragedy people can draw inspiration and it's without a doubt you will do great things. Your survival I think is some higher power telling you that it's not your time, you still have work to do. Keep a notebook or recorder near by to record thoughts that come to mind, and write like you've never written before! You'll be amazing!!