Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Hello everyone! I am KeLLe and I am happy to have found this space.

I am a survivor and am hoping to work through some things here, as well as to support others.

Thank you for accepting me!

Hi KeLLe,

Welcome to AS. I am very sorry for whatever has brought you here, but you will find much support here. Our members are understanding and kind. It takes courage to reach out, so I acknowledge this in you. Take your time and look around the site. You will see many others share your struggles. When you are comfortable, feel free to jump in. I wish you the very best on this journey of healing.

Mary

:aswelcomesu:

Thank you all for making me feel welcome!

It's funny because for the longest time I thought I had healed, but I have begun planning my own wedding and it has brought up so many things for me!

I was strong enough yesterday to tell my step-mom what had happened to me as a child. She was so upset, I felt bad for upsetting her. 

23 minutes ago, KeLLe said:

was strong enough yesterday to tell my step-mom what had happened to me as a child. She was so upset, I felt bad for upsetting her. 

That must have taken so much courage. You should be proud of yourself for being open with her and sharing your truth.  I know it’s probably hard, but try not too feel to bad for upsetting her, she’s probably upset because she loves so much! 

Also, congratulations on your wedding! :)

Hello, @KeLLe, welcome to AS. 

That was a very strong thing you did. Sometimes people who love in a healthy way get upset when they find out about the things that happened. Try to remember you didn’t do this to her - the person who hurt you did. 

Hi @KeLLe - welcome to After Silence!!!  I am slow to get in my official welcome, but you know what they say - better late than never. :)  I'm so sorry that trauma has led you here, but I am glad you've found a safe place.  The folks here are fantastic.  

I hope that being here brings you peace, comfort and healing - I know that wedding planning can be SO stressful (congratulations to you and your to-be!) and that stressors are famous for bringing up things we don't necessarily want to deal with.  But you're definitely not alone here. :)

Looking forward to getting to know you - again - welcome! :)

Best wishes,
Capulet

Hi, I am new today too! :) Also planning a wedding - we are getting married next year and my fiance was the first human I ever told about my abuse. Absolute hero

When are you getting married?xxx

6 hours ago, M1l0 said:

Hi, I am new today too! :) Also planning a wedding - we are getting married next year and my fiance was the first human I ever told about my abuse. Absolute hero

When are you getting married?xxx

Welcome @M1l0 ! 

Hopefully we can both find the supoort and healing that we desperately deserve and seek. 

We were planning on getting married next year, however, that has now been revised to 2023 so we can save more money, move house, pay off other debt,  etc. No rush because neither of us are going anywhere!! 

I have told many different people about my abuse over the last 15 or so years. I have decided to tell my family this year. I have told one family member when I was 16 but unfortunately I didn't receive the support that I needed. I am no longer going to allow this to stay locked away inside me, I cannot carry this any longer. 

Best of luck with everything! 

Hi, KeLLe

I just joined today. Congrats on your upcoming wedding, I been married for over 22 years and my husband is my biggest supporter, It took me 21 years to finally tell him all the details and it was the hardest thing I ever done, but when I did I felt so much weight lifted off me. Now I have a person who I feel is 100% on this journey of healing with me. my therapist recommend a book called Allies in Healing, which he read cover to cover and said he wished he had it when we first got married. I hope your soon to be hubby will be a great support for you as well.  Good Luck on your journey.