Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

oldie but newbie!

Hello everyone,

I'm just starting on this forum hoping it will help in my recovery.  I am 43 years old.  The assault occurred when I was 14.  In a nutshell, it's been 30 years of trying (and pathetically failing) to maneuver around this unresolved trauma.  I finally started therapy 3 years ago, I am hopeful therapy and this forum will be of help with all the issues that have formed such deep roots in me for so long.  

It's a beautiful day outside my window, I hope you all are enjoying a nice day too.  

Hello AP welcome to AS. I am sorry for you gone through when you were 14. It's hard when things stay with us for a long time. You will find many of here have the same feeling.  You will find support here and you are not alone. :notalone:

Patricia 

3 hours ago, Avoidance Perfected said:

Hello everyone,

I'm just starting on this forum hoping it will help in my recovery.  I am 43 years old.  The assault occurred when I was 14.  In a nutshell, it's been 30 years of trying (and pathetically failing) to maneuver around this unresolved trauma.  I finally started therapy 3 years ago, I am hopeful therapy and this forum will be of help with all the issues that have formed such deep roots in me for so long.  

It's a beautiful day outside my window, I hope you all are enjoying a nice day too.  

Hi Avoidance,

Welcome to AS. I am very sorry for the trauma you experienced at 14, but do know that you have found a very supportive site. My opening introduction almost 3 years ago was very similar to yours. I called it living in denial (after 30+ years). This site has helped me find my voice and the understanding and kindness of the members here is very comforting. It was the first time I did not feel alone after so many years of not acknowledging what had happened. It's a big step to reach out and I wish you so many more forward steps on your journey of healing.

Mary

:notalone: 

Hello @Avoidance Perfected

Welcome to Aftersilence!  This is a great place and is filled with such supportive, loving souls.

I too, put my healing 'on hold' for many years before I finally found peace.  So I can definitely understand!

I hope being here in tandem with therapy brings you comfort!

Best wishes,

Capulet

Edited by Capulet
14 hours ago, Avoidance Perfected said:

Hello everyone,

Hi and welcome! I'm sorry you were assaulted at 14 :( I understand the many years of avoidance (nice user name!). I can't speak for everyone but personally, I've found that being here at AS helped me greatly before I was able to find the right therapist. Having both together is great. I hope that your being here will help you too. :) 

17 hours ago, Avoidance Perfected said:

Hello everyone,

Hello @AvoidancePerfected, welcome to AS,  I hope that you will find our community a supportive place to heal. I am sorry you were assaulted at 14, it is such a vulnerable age in many ways. I was 15, and my situation was similar when I first joined, I had managed to avoid things for about 30 years too... I hope that you will find therapy and AS a helpful place to work on getting at those roots.  We are also having a beautiful warm spring day here as well!

:notalone:

Hi @Avoidance Perfected welcome to AS. Sorry for the trauma you endured and the years or avoiding it also very trauamaic. Youve come to a supportive site here, everyones been through something so we can all relate on some level with you. Myself I have had a lot of trauma and about a decade of avoiding dealing with them. Therapy is working for me almost 2 years after I started hope it is for you as well. Its a beautiful day here today. Can't wait to see you around the forums.

One

@Avoidance Perfected,

Welcome to AS! I am truly sorry for what you’ve endured and I know how hard it is to have to deal with this.  Just know you’re not alone here and many can relate in their own way.  Glad to hear you are speaking to someone about your past.  Best wishes on your healing journey. 

PB