Welcome to After Silence - A message board and chat room for rape, sexual assault, and sexual abuse survivors.

Welcome to After Silence, a message board and chat room designed to help survivors communicate in the recovery of rape, sexual abuse, sexual assault, and all types of sexual violence.

After Silence has over 30 different forums, ranging from topics created to discuss specific areas of healing and recovery from rape and sexual violence, as well as forums open to general discussions and lighter topics. Because we value the privacy of our members, most of our forums are private, which means that ONLY REGISTERED members have access to them. Please register for a free account to gain full access to the After Silence Online Support Group.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us at aftersilence.org@gmail.com
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Nobody's Ever In Chat Anymore

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 Windy

Windy
  • 537 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 06:53 PM

Hey,

I've noticed that since chat has changed, nobody is hardly ever in chat anymore. I really miss that, and I wonder why hardly anyone is there.

Windy

sad...........chat withdrawl.............

#2 Courage.hope

Courage.hope
  • 124 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 06:54 PM

I can't log into chat for some reason. I would love to chat! But I can't seem to get it to log me in!

#3 swespa1967

swespa1967
  • 75 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE(Windy @ Jun 13 2007, 07:53 PM) View Post
Hey,

I've noticed that since chat has changed, nobody is hardly ever in chat anymore. I really miss that, and I wonder why hardly anyone is there.

Windy

sad...........chat withdrawl.............

I think it is because you can't chat individually like before, then I could click on your name and send you a message but that does not work anymore. I miss it too.

swespa1967

#4 AmyLyn

AmyLyn

free at last

• Banned
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:22 PM

QUOTE(Courage.hope @ Jun 13 2007, 05:54 PM) View Post
I can't log into chat for some reason. I would love to chat! But I can't seem to get it to log me in!

Hi there,
You need 25 posts before you can access chat. After you get 25 it should work fine. flowers.gif

#5 Donna

Donna

Liver Schmiver

• Contributing Member
  • 9,726 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:26 PM

Have you thought of msging the people you normally have spoken to and asking them if they would like to join you?

#6 ainedb

ainedb
  • 482 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:36 PM

I haven't a clue how to use it, otherwise I might try it. I've gotten PMs and those are enough usually. Then again, I'm always on AIM and prefer that to anything else...

#7 Windy

Windy
  • 537 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 09:01 PM

Have you thought of msging the people you normally have spoken to and asking them if they would like to join you?

Yes, and I've done that, but I still miss the group chats, and the simplicity of it........being able to scroll down and see who's there and join in. I just miss it so much. I want to cry.............. and I kind of figured it had something to do with not being able to chat individually anymore, and that makes me so sad, because that is making everyone leave. cry.gif cry.gif cry.gif

Windy

#8 girlsnz

girlsnz
  • 85 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:22 PM

I have been in the chat room a few times since it has changed-Your right no one is ever there.
I could not get in at first after the chat room changed- I had to download Java from the internet

#9 nat_6152

nat_6152
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 11:14 PM

QUOTE(Windy @ Jun 13 2007, 09:01 PM) View Post

Yes, and I've done that, but I still miss the group chats, and the simplicity of it........being able to scroll down and see who's there and join in. I just miss it so much. I want to cry.............. and I kind of figured it had something to do with not being able to chat individually anymore, and that makes me so sad, because that is making everyone leave. cry.gif cry.gif cry.gif

Windy

Aaww, Windy........know how you feel, hun... blush.gif but just my two cents worth...
I'm often in chat, but for the next week or two I have uni exams which are my #1 priority just now......but will be around more after that, tc flowers.gif
Nat
tealribbon.gif

#10 dodo

dodo

before the end

• Newbie Support Team
  • 17,378 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 01:06 AM

It is true that chat is quieter since the changes - but I think that is to be expected? It is very different to the last chat room and maybe people are finding that difficult - but I think and hope poeple will gradually find their feet there again.

Also as new people join the site and reach the 25 posts they will wander into chat and for them they will not know the old chat room so will not have the same problems

best wishes

karen

#11 Courage.hope

Courage.hope
  • 124 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 03:16 PM

Thank you for the info on having to make 25 posts... now that makes sense!

wink.gif

#12 Ashley-Michelle

Ashley-Michelle

Unapologetically Liberal

• Consultant
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 05:20 PM

QUOTE(swespa1967 @ Jun 13 2007, 06:58 PM) View Post
I think it is because you can't chat individually like before, then I could click on your name and send you a message but that does not work anymore. I miss it too.

swespa1967

Which means that, if no one is coming into chat, the substance of the main discussion is pretty much the same as it was before.

Part of the reason we went to a new chat is because of the PM issue. Too many members were abusing the PM feature and not actually participating in the main chat, despite repeated individual and group warnings.

I think if the removal of PMs is the main reason why no one is in chat anymore, it further validates why it needed to be taken away. Too many members were being ignored and neglected in favor of private conversations that were strictly prohibited by the rules--several individuals especially seemed to forget that chat is a privilege, not a right, and it was one that frankly had not been appreciated in recent months.

I have every confidence that chat will rebuild itself, it is simply in a transitional phase again, and hopefully will be the nurturing, supportive, relation-building device it had not been as of late due to excessive lurking and PMing.

#13 cloudsdescending

cloudsdescending
  • Inactive Member
  • 245 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 06:40 PM

agree2.gif

#14 Windy

Windy
  • 537 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:17 PM

I hope so. I don't want people to feel left out of conversations either. I just miss the group chat. It's not the pm chat I miss so much. Because if I want that I can just im someone. I miss looking down there and seeing a lot of people and logging on and joining a conversation. I miss talking to people I wouldn't otherwise really talk with because I don't im them, you know? I liked meeting new people, etc. I just miss it and wish everyone would come back.

Windy

#15 Enola

Enola

All Aboard to Ride the Crazy Train

• 868 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:47 PM

QUOTE(Ashley-Michelle @ Jun 14 2007, 06:20 PM) View Post
Which means that, if no one is coming into chat, the substance of the main discussion is pretty much the same as it was before.

not really......now there is no one in chat. No one in during my lunch hour at all this week. Before, there were 5-6 of us during my lunch hour. And 20 or some some nights.

QUOTE(Ashley-Michelle @ Jun 14 2007, 06:20 PM) View Post
Part of the reason we went to a new chat is because of the PM issue. Too many members were abusing the PM feature and not actually participating in the main chat, despite repeated individual and group warnings.

It was rare that I saw someone's name listed in the column as being "in chat" and they didn't participate at all. Although there were a few. Most of us though, did quite well at chatting in the main room and PM-ing at the same time. Right now I have 2 IMs on and this screen. Most of us multi-task quite well.