Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Hi there, introducing myself

"Hi there" seems like an awkwardly cheerful way to introduce myself on this particular forum but I think it's fitting since I am often both awkward and cheerful. My name is Myra. I'm part of the lgbtq+ community and have been married for 6 years. I am currently working on both my PTSD and eating disorder recovery. My hobbies include doing whatever is a giant F U to the eating disorder, playing Harry Potter trivia, gardening and growing my own food, and lots of handicrafts to keep me busy like spinning yarn and painting. I am a pet person who, besides having a service dog for my PTSD, also has another dog, a cat, and an assortment of fish. Please enjoy these photos of my dogs. Two days ago I disclosed my trauma to my therapist, the first person I've ever told and something I've been hanging onto for fifteen years. I'm having A LOT of feelings about it, so I started looking for online support and that's how I got here. I guess I'm just hoping to feel less alone and abnormal. So hello everyone. 

IMG_20200310_220324_173.jpg

IMG_20200704_134542.jpg

Dear  myra

I am sorry for all that you have been through.   You have been so brave in reaching out to us, please know that this is never easy!   We are all here for you and we want to support you.  You're not alone in your healing journey and are always welcome to lean on us for extra support.  You can post as much or as little as you like.  We are here to support you in the way you need.  I have found this community to be very helpful.  Everyone is so understanding and non-judgmental and I am hoping you feel the same way once you've gotten to know us a little.   

Cute dogs 

All my best,
missfrier

Hello @MyraG

and welcome to After Silence. :flowers:

This is the first post I see including pictures of dogs, they look very nice. 

I am sorry for your trauma and all that comes with it. We discuss plenty of mental health on this platform, PTSD for example. Feel free to be open about that and anything you like, in the amount you feel comfortable with.  

After Silence invites all kinds of survivors, carrying a wide diversity of them. Our members create a wonderful support system. I am happy you have a long term therapist to open up to. I hope this community will be a comforting addition to your support system. :youcanheal:

If you have any questions do not hesitate to reach out to me or any staff. Your hobbies sound like lovely crafting. I like to make jewelry myself. 

Happy you found us! 

- Wanna ☀️

Hi @MyraG

Welcome to AS. I'm sorry for the trauma you have experienced, but I'm glad you found the site and decided to join. This is a caring and supportive community and we are all here to help each other heal. It is never to late to begin the healing journey. I'm really proud of you for recently opening up about your trauma to your therapist. The healing process can be tough, but you are strong enough to get through it. Talking with other survivors can help you to feel less alone. You are welcome to post and share on the site whenever you feel comfortable. 

Thanks for sharing the pictures of your dogs. They are so cute! I love the pride flag stuffed toy. 

Welcome @MyraG to After Silence.  I’m sorry for what brought you here but I’m happy you are here reaching out for support.  Good job taking this step in your healing process.  You are not alone and what happened to you wasn’t your fault.  Take your time exploring and post when you are ready.  If you have any questions feel free to message me. 

P.S.- Your dogs are adorable and I am also a member of the lgbtq+ community.  

Hi Myra,

Welcome to AfterSilence. I am very sorry for the trauma you have endured 15 years ago. Sometimes it takes awhile for us to seek help, but it is never to late. I can attest to that, as it took me over 30 years. You are not alone. I know the courage it takes to speak out those words, so I would like to acknowledge this bravery. You will find support and understanding here in our community, as you are fully accepted and validated.

I find many survivors do have a creative outlet and if you ever feel like sharing some of your creative expression, please take a look at our Healing Thru Creativity forum.  As with anything tho, do feel free to take your time looking over the site and interact when you feel comfortable.

As the others have mentioned...beautiful dogs. I find animals can be a source of comfort, whether they are officially therapy trained or not. It is nice you have both and it crosses species, as well. I hope they give you great comfort.

Again, I am glad you found our community and wish you well, as you move forward down your healing path.

Mary

:notalone: 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @MyraG! I am glad you feel comfortable enough to start opening up about what has happened. I hope you find the support you need!   

Your dogs are adorable!