Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Still feeling it after 9 years

Hello,

Thank you for accepting me into this community.  I have gone to therapy before to discuss this but it didn’t get to the heart of the matter. I was provided with tools to cope and adjust my thinking which only went so far. I feel like I need a community to help me really understand why I still feel the way I do after all this time out of my toxic relationship. 

I appreciate any support and suggestions on moving forward.

Warmly,

Mel

Hi, Mel Y, and welcome to AS! :wave: I’m sorry for what you’ve gone through, but glad you’ve found our site. It’s very supportive, and I’ve found it to be very helpful. Take your time looking around and getting to know the site. It takes time to heal from what we have been through. Each person’s journey is different. :notalone:

Hi Mel, welcome to AS, I am sorry for the tramua that you have been through.  I think you will find most of us go through what you are feeling. There has been times in my life that I deal with my abuse and then other times I but it on the back burner. You will find here that others understand, you are not alone here. 

Patricia 

4 hours ago, Mel Y said:

Hello,

Thank you for accepting me into this community.  I have gone to therapy before to discuss this but it didn’t get to the heart of the matter. I was provided with tools to cope and adjust my thinking which only went so far. I feel like I need a community to help me really understand why I still feel the way I do after all this time out of my toxic relationship. 

Warmly,

Mel

Hi Mel Y, welcome to AS!  :wave: I hope you will find that a supportive community will help you get to a deeper understanding of things. I am glad you had some T but it sounds like their approach was more of a surface one, which can help with coping for sure but maybe didn't quite get to the roots of how you are feeling. It is not uncommon to still be sorting things out years later, I know I still am. I hope you will less alone with things here. 

g

It’s funny, I believed that since I had a few sessions under my belt I could just learn to apply what my therapist and I spoke about that I  could put this behind me but trauma is so darn persistent.

7 hours ago, Mel Y said:

Hello,

Warmly,

Mel

1 hour ago, Mel Y said:

It’s funny, I believed that since I had a few sessions under my belt I could just learn to apply what my therapist and I spoke about that I  could put this behind me but trauma is so darn persistent.

Hi Mel Y,

Welcome to AS. I am very sorry for abusive relationship that you endured and the struggles you face because of it. It takes a coward to hurt others, as he did to you. You are not alone tho. Our community is filled with understanding and supportive members. I am sorry the therapy wasn't a little more helpful to you. Do know you can express yourself with whatever you are comfortable with. No pressure of judgment. Sometimes reading other member's posts can help too. So I encourage you to look around.

We always hope that the healing process is easy. It isn't fair, is it? It is a long process with many peaks and valleys. I remember a saying tho. "Whenever everything feels like an uphill battle, just imagine the view from the top". Be patient with yourself and remember you are worth the fight to make it to that hilltop.

Mary

:notalone: 

That’s beautiful Mary. I always enjoy a beautiful view. I’m not afraid of a hike but sometimes I feel like I have to do an operation on myself to see what’s inside, that’s the part that makes me uneasy. Does that make sense?

It makes perfect sense. Sometimes it is even hard to identify who that person inside of us is. So much of what was has changed. I do think tho nobody can take everything away. The good part of us is still there. Just hiding, waiting to be found. :)