Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Not In Kansas

Hi, I am new here, I’m not exactly sure what I’m doing here really. Part of it is that my counselor has suggested that I find a sexual assault support group, I’ve known him and seen him for years, so I am not sure why this should come up now, unless he knew I wouldn’t have done it before.

I don’t know that I belong here, yes there is sexual abuse in my past. But it is like the physical abuse I pretty much just chalk up to something that happened…Most find this an odd response, occasionally I laugh about it which bothers people but I just don’t have the deep down feelings or reactions that are expected of me. Though I have to say that I am not finding writing this to be a bundle of laughs (my hands are shaky and my stomache a little woozy)

I guess my question if there were one here in my babbling is what do you feel you get out of being in a support group? And second I guess whether my counselor is right and this is a good idea for me considering that I do not feel particularly like a victim (or survivor) just someone who was there.

I wanted also to say that I admire each and everyone of you and appreciate that this site is here to ask silly questions like mine, to offer support and solace to those in need.

Thank you,

Sara

welcome sara! :hi:

the biggest things that I get from this "support group" are understanding and support, and to me and my healing that is very important. I hope you get to know the people here better and feel the same way. good luck to you. :)

Hi Sara,

We don't necessarily think of ourselves as victims. However we do have a place of love and understanding. A place with a common thread of experience which helps us compare our experiences.

I have found it enormously helpful to review my childhood with my sister. We both do so without much emotion, yet we often come on unexpected insights in how these experiences have shaped who we are and molded such similar struggles in our lives. Without her, I wonder if I'd be able to stumble on these insights, or be able to understand forgive and love myself in the same way. I think that this board is similar for the things we've experienced... in a way we are all bound in the same way siblings often are- common experience and from that we have a natural compassion for one another that is hard to find elsewhere. While we give to each other we also recieve the benefit of self-reflection and understanding through comparison.

Hi, I am new here, I’m not exactly sure what I’m doing here really. Part of it is that my counselor has suggested that I find a sexual assault support group, I’ve known him and seen him for years, so I am not sure why this should come up now, unless he knew I wouldn’t have done it before.

I don’t know that I belong here, yes there is sexual abuse in my past. But it is like the physical abuse I pretty much just chalk up to something that happened…Most find this an odd response, occasionally I laugh about it which bothers people but I just don’t have the deep down feelings or reactions that are expected of me. Though I have to say that I am not finding writing this to be a bundle of laughs (my hands are shaky and my stomache a little woozy)

I guess my question if there were one here in my babbling is what do you feel you get out of being in a support group? And second I guess whether my counselor is right and this is a good idea for me considering that I do not feel particularly like a victim (or survivor) just someone who was there.

I wanted also to say that I admire each and everyone of you and appreciate that this site is here to ask silly questions like mine, to offer support and solace to those in need.

Thank you,

Sara

Hi and welcome to AS

Other than my T I don't have any support than AS.

I do not find it eay to talk but I can write - I alsolike to off suport to others as well

best wishes

karen

welcome sara! :hi:

the biggest things that I get from this "support group" are understanding and support, and to me and my healing that is very important. I hope you get to know the people here better and feel the same way. good luck to you. :)

Thank you,

I truthfully am not sure that this can help me but I am willing to give it a shot (I even filled out my card and everything :P )

I have counseled others for many yeares (not in a professional capcity) It just has never appled to myself somehpw...

I am sure I will be seeing you on the boards and again thanks for the welcome and invite. Oh and your photo quote is wrong, if you are here you a survivor, we just have to work on the thriving parts,

Thanks,

Sara

Hi and thank you for your response,

I am truly glad you have your sister to share this with but also because so many survivors lose parts of their familes in the effort to bring the truth to light. Good for both of you for sticking together and assissting eachother in this, the bond between you must be great and beautiful. :)

Sara

Hi Sara,

We don't necessarily think of ourselves as victims. However we do have a place of love and understanding. A place with a common thread of experience which helps us compare our experiences.

I have found it enormously helpful to review my childhood with my sister. We both do so without much emotion, yet we often come on unexpected insights in how these experiences have shaped who we are and molded such similar struggles in our lives. Without her, I wonder if I'd be able to stumble on these insights, or be able to understand forgive and love myself in the same way. I think that this board is similar for the things we've experienced... in a way we are all bound in the same way siblings often are- common experience and from that we have a natural compassion for one another that is hard to find elsewhere. While we give to each other we also recieve the benefit of self-reflection and understanding through comparison.

Thank you,

Sara

Donna,

You're my kind of girl,

straight to the point, short and sweet.

Thank your reply made me smile a lot and I do feel welcome thanks.

Oh, and I love that song....Aint no mountain high enough aint no valley low enough....I'n going to have it going through my head all day.

I'll see you around thanks again,

Sara

You do belong, welcome to AS. :bighug:

Karen,

Thank you for your repsonse,

as I have mentioned I don't know that this will be the thing for me but I do think at the very least I can be helpful and I can certainly support others and the fight against violence.

I have not yet had the chance to check out the url you posted but I promise that I will.

Thank you,

Sara

Hi and welcome to AS

Other than my T I don't have any support than AS.

I do not find it eay to talk but I can write - I alsolike to off suport to others as well

best wishes

karen

Katherine,

Thank you for wrtiting me...

I have been to AA and I understand how veery powerful a support group can be but even tehre I did not fit in not because I was an alcoholic because I am but because while some of the others were crying and talking about their lives I could emphathise, I could support and assist, hug and love them I can't speak like they did. I would say what I had to to help myself but there is a wall I just can;t get beyond and that is where all those emotions are...just dont have them for me. I do believe that I can of assistnace here and maybe that in itself would help me and that would be more than enough of a reason to be here. :hug:

Sara

:hug: Welcome to AS, Sara. I'd definitely say I get a lot out of this "support group" including caring and understanding support from other people who can relate to what I've gone through. It's a place of safety, a place of comfort; a place to vent or cry and a place to read and understand other people's experience in order to help them as well as better understand your own experience. I've only been on here a little while but I love it! Rarely before have I met such caring and wonderful people. I hope you like it here and get as much out of it as I have. We're here for you! :hug:

Love and hugs,

Katherine

:hi: Welcome Sara

THANKS,

:dance:

Sara

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sarah,

W e l c o m e :hi:

George