Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Hello

Hi, I am new here and already thankful for this space. I have not spoken to anyone about my history of sexual assault in more than 20 years and I am finally entering therapy. “After Silence” is particularly poignant for me given how long I have survived in near silence. I feel like many of you, that while it seems such a small thing, having the courage to make this post is a huge step for me. I’m finally breaking the silence, not just in a therapist’s office, or with a select few, but with a community of people that have shared experience. 

Thank you all so much for being here!

Edited by kannheals

Hi  kannheals,

Welcome to AfterSilence. I am very sorry for the trauma you have endured. It was not fair or deserved. You have found a very supportive site with many understanding and kind people. You are not alone. 

I know how it can be, holding on the pain and struggles for far too long. When I found this community, I was just passed 3 decades. No matter how you try to ignore it or blame the struggles on other things, the real reason was there...just under the surface. It may take each of us a different time frame to finally come and face our abuse, but I do believe that facing it...it helps the healing process. The courage to make this post? I agree completely. It's a huge step. We will never minimize that for you. 

Feel free to look around the community. Read, reply and interact at a pace that is comfortable for you. We are here for you, whatever your starting pace may be. 

Wishing you so many more steps down this path that we call healing.

Mary

:aswelcomesu:

Kannheals  I am sorry that you endured trauma in your past, but I am very glad that you found your way to therapy and to here.  There are many here who will be able to relate to your experiences.  

2 hours ago, kannheals said:

Hi, I am new here and already thankful for this space. I have not spoken to anyone about my history of sexual assault in more than 20 years and I am finally entering therapy. “After Silence” is particularly poignant for me given how long I have survived in near silence. I feel like many of you, that while it seems such a small thing, having the courage to make this post is a huge step for me. I’m finally breaking the silence, not just in a therapist’s office, or with a select few, but with a community of people that have shared experience. 

Thank you all so much for being here!

Hello kannheals and welcome to our community! I am Wanna :flowers:

Yes, breaking your silence is a BIG step. You're finally claiming your voice and facing your trauma, which is both courageous and necessary. We all eventually need to heal, as trauma affects us in so many ways. You are not alone, whatever lays ahead. This is a safe place for us survivors to connect and exchange support. You can come here to vent, chat, discuss healthy coping and much more! You can use this place in many ways. I am wishing you the very best with therapy :youcanheal:

Please don't hesitate to contact someone from us staff with questions, for assistance or some company. I am only one PM away. 

All best W ☀️

Welcome :aswelcomesu: 

I like your screen name! And you have such a positive attitude. We could use some positivity here. Don’t rush into things. Take your time and learn from others stories/posts. When your ready we will be here for you. :)