Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

I'm New

Welcome ... :hug::aswelcomesu:

Hello and welcome to After Silence. Glad you joined us :flowers:

I am also new. I am so glad I found this website. I have been looking for a support group and there are none close to me. The closest is about an hour away from me.

It is an answer to a prayer

Thank you all for your welcome. It is hard choosing a screen name. I choose one from a little story I read on another forum.

Some guy-type buddies of my youth lived for a time in a veritable garden spot that they lovingly, if misguidedly, referred to as The Ranch. If you've ever been to the South and taken a drive down a country road, you'd have spied out in the middle of a field an old abandoned shack.

This place was an absolute hovel. I have no idea if they even paid rent; there's an excellent chance they were merely squatting. But it suited them just fine. They held huge wild parties, thinking themselves to be invisible out there. I guess they didn't believe anybody would think it curious that there were a couple hundred cars parked around this shack in the middle of nowhere.

Anyway, a stranger came to their door one day. He was singularly unattractive -- very little hair covering his hideous sore-wracked skin, just generally ratty and nasty looking. But, as is often said of the unbeautiful of the world, he had a great personality. He came to be known as "Funkdog," because he was, in fact, a dog, and he was really funky.

He came around regularly, and the boys would feed him and talk to him, but no one could quite bring themselves to actually touch him. And so they started this thing of petting Funkdog with a small stick. He would come and sit at a respectful distance, I guess knowing himself to be unclean, and eagerly await being petted and scratched with his stick.

That image always just made me want to bawl, and now I think I know why.

I think Funkdog being petted with his stick is a perfect metaphor for what can happen to any of us in this life if we don't pay attention. In any area of our lives, things can go from great, to not so hot, to downright unspeakable, and do it so gradually that we keep downshifting our expectations to correspond with our current situation.

We settle for less and less and tell ourselves, "It's not so bad," until finally one day we wake up and we are, in effect, hairless and scabby, just hoping to get petted with a stick for a little while.

I am no longer a Funkdog.

that s cool ..... i have been here for like 4 days or so. this is an awsome place of support! i am glad you found us! i found it by surfing the web .... kinda funny when you find what you have needed for a long time after you have stopped searching for it.