Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Coming Soon - Survivor Connections

Hi, everyone!

I am pleased to announce that we have been working on additional ways for our members to connect with each other.  For many years now, we have been without the ability to chat and there have not been any reliable chat clients available that was within our budget.  For the last several weeks, the Admin team has been trying to consider alternative ways that our community members can gather together from all over the world.

After Silence now has a Zoom account and hosting capabilities. :) We would very much like to offer our members opportunities to join scheduled 'gatherings' via Zoom.  We hope to offer gatherings every couple of weeks (to start with) and possibly more if this feature may prove to be a favored member benefit.  We will also work hard to set up gatherings upon member request or during times of struggle - such as the holidays.

We are still working out a few other things and I will be addressing this all-new site feature at a staff meeting that will occur next month (July).  We would ideally begin hosting community gatherings in the beginning of August if all goes well. :) 

For now, I'd like to hear any thoughts and concerns so that we can work together to ensure that our members are as comfortable as possible.  

For now, a few QUICK reassurances off of the top of my head:

1. ONLY active After Silence members (survivors) in good standing (no account restrictions or warnings) may attend these gatherings, and they will be by invitation only.  I will also put out there that we ARE considering asking for a small donation from participants that will both add a layer of exclusivity/privacy and will help us to fund this new site feature that may very well become a staple among community members.  This is not yet set in stone but we will need to raise $25 additional per month (separate from server fees) in order to keep our Zoom feature activated.  

2. You will remain anonymous by using your AS username to join our gatherings.  Cameras are also 100% optional.  Zoom also has a chat widget that can be utilized and members in attendance may send direct messages to one another or to all participants if they are feeling shy.  

3. A staff member will ALWAYS be present for the entire duration of these gatherings.  Board rules will apply and although the Zoom platform is technically off-site, our staff member will have the ability to expel anyone who is not in observance of After Silence's rules while attending our gathering. 

4. As is the case with our boards, these gatherings will not be professionally-run, though we will be looking into inviting guest speakers and professionals to future gatherings.  We will be sure to keep everyone informed on what topics we are planning!  We are also open to member feedback on topics of discussion.

I hope this news has made some of you as excited as I have been!  I think it will be a great extra means of gaining support and connecting with other survivors, especially those friends we have made here.  

There will be more information to follow. :) I'd also love to hear ideas from the community - what would YOU like to see?  How can we help to make this an enjoyable experience for you all?  Any comments/thoughts/feedback is welcomed here.

I am sending you all my best!  Wishing everyone good health and positivity. ❤️ 

- Cap

3 minutes ago, Doll6 said:

Sounds amazing Cap! Thanks to you and all the other moderators for all you do behind the scenes!! 

❤️ 

Of course!!!!  

That sounds great Cap.  Thank all the staff for their hard work and dedication. 

I was wondering for those who can't zoom.  Are there alternatives.   I had a couple of ideas.  If you would like me to share them.

Thanks again.   You all rock.

in general i think it sounds like a really nice idea. i can certainly see the benefits of having more personable interactions for those who are willing.

you wrote, "...and they will be by invitation only." could you explain the reason for that?

10 minutes ago, Sleepographer said:

you wrote, "...and they will be by invitation only." could you explain the reason for that?

Absolutely. :)

This is an AS-exclusive feature, and we would like to ensure that we do not have people in attendance that we did not invite, or who do not meet the requirements for entry.  Privacy is of paramount importance to us, and we want our community members to feel safe.  The link to the Zoom meeting/gathering would be e-mailed to the participant via the e-mail address provided at registration (unless otherwise specified by the member).  Anybody we are not expecting to attend will not be granted entry and links cannot be shared with others.

Zoom requires invitations, anyway - for we would have to send out links to anyone wanting to attend and there is no other way to 'join' these gatherings than by invitation. 😉 

Hope that makes sense! 

28 minutes ago, Patti72 said:

I was wondering for those who can't zoom.  Are there alternatives.   I had a couple of ideas.  If you would like me to share them.

Of course, Patti, please let me know what you have in mind!

I hope this isn't a stupid idea.  Could we have pen pals and/or pm buddies.   Maybe connect a survivor further in their healing.   With someone who might be new to the healing process.

Just now, Sleepographer said:

i guess i'm misunderstanding something. would there be a way for active board members to request to participate before invitations are sent out?

Yes, there would!  :) We will plan these gatherings out in advance - (perhaps two weeks is enough notice) and we will release boards letting the community know about any upcoming gatherings.  Participation is entirely optional but if someone is interested, then we will have members send us a request via PM. 

Absolutely no problem @Sleepographer! :)  

@Patti72 - 

11 minutes ago, Patti72 said:

I hope this isn't a stupid idea.  Could we have pen pals and/or pm buddies.   Maybe connect a survivor further in their healing.   With someone who might be new to the healing process.

This is not a stupid idea at all, friend.  I kind of had the same thought when we did the Holiday Buddies, which I know you enjoyed participating in.  Unfortunately, we have had interest dwindle over time and we had difficulty matching people up - so this was discontinued last year.

I will definitely look into developing something that might be similar, though!  I am sure there are others who might not be able to Zoom either, and would like another means of connection. ❤️ 

Just in case you were not aware, Zoom is accessible through computers, phones and tablets.  Any device that can connect to the internet can run Zoom, for you are just clicking a link to get in.  It is also free to download. :) 

Ok cool, I just have a cell phone.   No computer or tablet. 

• 2 weeks later...

every now and then i think about this and the idea pleases me. i figure it might not be a sure thing yet, so i won't count on it. i think it could do a lot of good though, even as i think it would be good for me.