Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Newbie From Sydney Australia

Hi everyone,

I hope you are all well? :blush:

My name's Lisa and I'm 23 years old. I'm still in a state of shock, I think. I was sexually assaulted last night on the way home from the train station by a stranger. So far at this point, I haven't cried... is this normal? I've pretty much felt quite numb. I still can't believe what's happened. It feels really surreal.

Because I feel I didn't stand up for myself enough, I wasn't going to call the police when I got home but when my mum got home and I told her the whole story, she opened my eyes and I realised that calling the police needed to be done.

I realise what he (the stranger) did was wrong, he knew I wasn't happy about it, but it never really dawned on me (or did it register in my mind) he sexually assaulted me. I only went along with him because I was scared of provoking him. My friends and my mum have said to me that I shouldn't feel stupid or silly. These things just happen, I guess.

I'm happy to be here. I'm looking forward to chatting with you all. :wub:

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to After Silence. I'm sorry for the reasons that brought you here, but I'm glad you've found us. I hope you find the support you deserve here.

It is normal not to cry; sometimes it takes a while for our body and mind to be able to process what has happened. Don't feel like you didn't stand up for yourself enough. It was not your fault, Lisa.

Take gentle care,

Lindy :tealribbon:

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to AS. I'm glad you are here for your sake, but terribly sorry that you have had an experience that has made it necessary.

I'm a newbie and also in Sydney, Aus.

I was sexually abused for 6 years and have cried about it once - 2 weeks ago. The abuse ended about 10 years ago. So I think that not crying is perfectly normal. I would berate myself for not standing up for myself, but it is (I think) a survival instinct in us that kicks in. I guess that is why people consider us 'survivors'. Try not to be too hard on yourself.

It is great that you have support from your mum and friends. It will make a massive difference to your healing.

Never feel stupid or silly about it. It was not your fault.

Feel free to PM me at anytime.

Have a gentle day and take care of yourself,

Moreta :notalone:

Hey Lisa,

I'm also from Australia, the Hunter Valley region about 3 hrs from Sydney, and I'm a regular there because alot of my friends go to uni there. I'm sorry for what happened to you at the train station it was very wrong, but your mum and friends are right you've done nothing to be ashamed of, or silly about, however I would also understand if those feelings happened, because I felt that way when it happened to me.

It's also normal to not cry, as Lindy said, sometimes it takes a while for your body to react, however if you do cry that's also normal, each persons experience is different and each person involved in these bad experiences is different also, so the way each person reacts is different, so just react in whatever way you feel is right for you.

We're here to support you no matter what feelings and reaction you have as a result of this :hug:

Hi Lisa, and welcome to AS. :)

I'm sorry for you guys have gone through. I cannot believe how many people are out there who have gone through, rape, sexual assault and abuse. It's so much to comprehend.

Hi everyone,

I hope you are all well? :blush:

My name's Lisa and I'm 23 years old. I'm still in a state of shock, I think. I was sexually assaulted last night on the way home from the train station by a stranger. So far at this point, I haven't cried... is this normal? I've pretty much felt quite numb. I still can't believe what's happened. It feels really surreal.

Because I feel I didn't stand up for myself enough, I wasn't going to call the police when I got home but when my mum got home and I told her the whole story, she opened my eyes and I realised that calling the police needed to be done.

I realise what he (the stranger) did was wrong, he knew I wasn't happy about it, but it never really dawned on me (or did it register in my mind) he sexually assaulted me. I only went along with him because I was scared of provoking him. My friends and my mum have said to me that I shouldn't feel stupid or silly. These things just happen, I guess.

I'm happy to be here. I'm looking forward to chatting with you all. :wub:

hey i from qld australia good to see another aussie here...

im glad ur mum is being very supportive its good that you have her. hope things work out for you and the bastard get what he deserves i have been attacked by strangers ten times and the first one is always the scariest stay strong girl. and dont let him win

welcome to as!

With the not crying part i had the same reaction. After being raped by my uncle two years ago i have only cried a few times. but do not let things build up inside of you. It is extremely hard to do, but talk about it! I did not come forward for 11 months after so I admire how much courage you had to come forward right away! :flowers:

Thanks for the welcome midnight, kitty, gola and dopey!!!! :):throb:

hey i from qld australia good to see another aussie here...

im glad ur mum is being very supportive its good that you have her. hope things work out for you and the bastard get what he deserves i have been attacked by strangers ten times and the first one is always the scariest stay strong girl. and dont let him win

I know, I see there are quite a few Aussies in here. :)

I couldn't agree more. I don't know what I'd do if mum weren't here for me atm. My brother is coming home from holidays with his girlfriend on Thursday, so it should be nice to see him. I've got my sister nearby also which is nice. And my dad calls sometimes to chat so that's good also. I chatted with him today.

I do hope the guy gets what he deserves also. The fact he told me his name and gave me an idea of where he lived (around the corner), hopefully it will be easy for the detective and the police to catch him.

I'm so sorry to hear you've been attacked so many times. Do you have a support base? :flowers:

I won't let him win... that's why I'm trying my best to think positive. It's kinda hard at the moment, but I'm trying. :)

welcome to as!

With the not crying part i had the same reaction. After being raped by my uncle two years ago i have only cried a few times. but do not let things build up inside of you. It is extremely hard to do, but talk about it! I did not come forward for 11 months after so I admire how much courage you had to come forward right away! :flowers:

Sorry to hear what you went through with your uncle... :(:flowers: The fact it happened with family, that's terrible. :!: I'm glad that you came forward eventually. :flowers: