Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

The right time for my first post

Hi folks

I've been a member for a short while now, just reading different corners of this forum, it feels I have found a safe space to share my experiences. It has been difficult to find support, especially as some of my most recent experiences involved a long-term friend I thought I could trust. I have been put on a waiting list for counselling support with a dedicated rape crisis service since last November with no signs of a date to receive support yet. This makes me feel forgotten about, or like my feelings don't matter, or that what happened to me is something easy to shrug off and continue on from. Something I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling.

A little about me - I love my cat, saxophone and drag queens. I have started a career in health and social care because it matters to me that people are able to live full lives and reach their potential (something I feel I deserve as well). While I enjoy my job I have noticed its been hard for me to fully engage and be my unguarded, authentic self. I think it has a lot to do with the anger and confusion surrounding what happened to me, and its hard to move on and connect with others when part of me worries if somewhere down the line they're going to hurt me.

I hope I can find support and help here, and one day be healed from these traumas.

Edited by electric.indigo
posted before finishing

Hi electric.indigo,

Welcome to AfterSilence. I am very sorry for the trauma you've endured, the struggles you face, and the time it is taking to receive the help you so much deserve. There is no waiting list here and we do think you and your feelings matter. Your experience is validated and this community is here for you. You are not alone.

I admire anyone able to give back in their chosen profession. Helping others is a worthwhile endeavor, but not everyone feels they can. I applaud you for doing so. I am sure the people you help are extremely grateful to have an understanding person, such as yourself, help them. Good job.

You have looked around and that is usually a good first start that I suggest. Know a little about the place that you are considering to share, before diving in. I am glad you have decided to reach out and wish you well on this path we travel that we call healing.

Mary

:notalone: 

Dear electricindigo

Welcome to After Silence.  I am sorry to hear of the trauma you have been through!

Being here has helped me so much.   Everyone is so caring and supportive here.  I am proud of you for reaching out.  I know that is hard to do.  I also know that you will find that needed compassion and support here within our community.  Know we are here for you and we will listen whenever you would like to lean on us.    

Take care and please do not hesitate to ask for any help if you ever need it. 

Welcome @electric.indigo to After Silence.  I’m sorry for what brought you here but I’m happy you are here reaching out for support.  Good job taking this step in your healing process.  You are not alone and what happened to you wasn’t your fault.  I'm sorry to hear that your friend betrayed you and that you are on a waiting list.  Pleas know your feelings do matter.  Take your time exploring here and post when you are ready.  If you have any questions feel free to message me. 

If your. In.  UK.  Waiting for rape crisis.  Sometimes. It. Helps to  ring.     Say. Where abouts am I on. Your. List. 

All my best,
missfrier

Edited by missfrier
Didn't realised I had replied