Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Intro: Chess

At least for now, I'll be going by Chess here. I'm in my mid 20s and an avid reader - honestly, I love all forms of escapism. Reading, dungeons and dragons, fantasy shows, art, video games, etc. I've been with my partner for a few years and with his help, I'm slowly recovering and feeling more like myself again. Although sometimes it's hard to know what I feel like without trauma. I joined a support group recently, and I wanted to find some other community as well as I recover and potentially dig up things I'm not ready for. Thanks for listening.

Chess. They/them.

Hi Chess and welcome to the community.

I am very sorry for the trauma you've endured and the struggles you face. It was not fair or deserved that you have been hurt this way. I commend you for working on your healing. I know how easy it is can be to deny it and push it down. I did that for so many years. Healing isn't easy, but we are worth it...you are worth it. So, I am glad you decided to reach out.

Feel free to look around the community and interact where you feel comfortable. You will find tons of support and encouragement from our wonderful members. You are not alone. 

Wishing you the best on moving forward on this path we call healing. 

Mary

:youcanheal:

Hello and welcome to AS, Chess! I'm glad you found your way here. You're not alone. I'm the same way...escapism is my passion! Video games are my main go-to, but I've recently gotten back into reading (fantasy novels). What video games are you playing?

I'm sorry for what you've experienced. It was cruel and undeserved. It's a good thing you have your partner to help support you...and now you have all of us in this community. You'll meet a lot of very friendly and supportive people here. Wishing you all the best on your healing journey. ❤️ 

-Finchy

Hi Chess, welcome to After Silence. I am sorry for what has brought you here. 

There are really great people here who are so supportive, and kind. I hope you find it helpful here. 

Dawn

Thank you all for such a kind welcome, everyone! I'm happy to be here. It sees like such a wonderful, supportive community. 🥰 

Edited by Chess
12 hours ago, Finchy said:

Hello and welcome to AS, Chess! I'm glad you found your way here. You're not alone. I'm the same way...escapism is my passion! Video games are my main go-to, but I've recently gotten back into reading (fantasy novels). What video games are you playing?

I'm sorry for what you've experienced. It was cruel and undeserved. It's a good thing you have your partner to help support you...and now you have all of us in this community. You'll meet a lot of very friendly and supportive people here. Wishing you all the best on your healing journey. ❤️ 

-Finchy

@Finchy I've been playing Hades and Disney: Dreamlight Valley a lot lately (I know, total opposites lol), but I'm really looking forward to Breath Of The Wild 2 coming out in a few months! For books, I've been reading a lot lately but I recently finished the entire grishaverse series. What have you been playing/reading?

5 hours ago, Chess said:

@Finchy I've been playing Hades and Disney: Dreamlight Valley a lot lately (I know, total opposites lol), but I'm really looking forward to Breath Of The Wild 2 coming out in a few months! For books, I've been reading a lot lately but I recently finished the entire grishaverse series. What have you been playing/reading?

Oh that's cool! I have Hades downloaded, but I've yet to try it yet. And I've heard Dreamlight Valley is a lot of fun. :) It's good to play opposites...that's what I do all the time! For example, right now I'm playing (a lot of games lol) Elden Ring, The Smile Alchemist, AI: The Somnium Files, Grow: Song of the Evertree, Triangle Strategy. Again, yes, I'm playing a lot at once. :P It's just what I do lol. I like variety! As for reading, I'm reading the Elder Scrolls novels by Greg Keyes. I'm on the sequel. Lord of Souls. Unfortunately, there's only 2 books in the series! I really love Skyrim/Elder Scrolls world, which is why I am reading the books. After I finish this, I'll read some of Greg Keyes' other novels.

31 minutes ago, Finchy said:

Oh that's cool! I have Hades downloaded, but I've yet to try it yet. And I've heard Dreamlight Valley is a lot of fun. :) It's good to play opposites...that's what I do all the time! For example, right now I'm playing (a lot of games lol) Elden Ring, The Smile Alchemist, AI: The Somnium Files, Grow: Song of the Evertree, Triangle Strategy. Again, yes, I'm playing a lot at once. :P It's just what I do lol. I like variety! As for reading, I'm reading the Elder Scrolls novels by Greg Keyes. I'm on the sequel. Lord of Souls. Unfortunately, there's only 2 books in the series! I really love Skyrim/Elder Scrolls world, which is why I am reading the books. After I finish this, I'll read some of Greg Keyes' other novels.

I haven't played any of those, but Elden Ring is on my list to pick up at some point! In a similar vein to it, I'm deeply in love with both Skyrim and Assassins' Creed: Valhalla. I typically hyperfixate on one game at a time, but I think juggling multiple games also lets you take breaks from heavier games with lighter ones! 

5 hours ago, Chess said:

I haven't played any of those, but Elden Ring is on my list to pick up at some point! In a similar vein to it, I'm deeply in love with both Skyrim and Assassins' Creed: Valhalla. I typically hyperfixate on one game at a time, but I think juggling multiple games also lets you take breaks from heavier games with lighter ones! 

Ooh nice! Elden Ring is great. It's definitely a challenge, but I've heard Hades is a major challenge, too. I hope you enjoy it if/when you get it! :) Yesss Skyrim! ❤️ And I LOVE the Assassin's Creed games, too! Haven't played Valhalla yet though. I think there's nothing wrong with hyperfixating on one game at a time. I just like to hop from one game to another...like you said, balancing and taking breaks from heavier games. Like After playing Elden Ring, I'll play one of the lighter games.

I'm not big on board games, but that is super cool, too! 😄❤️ 

13 hours ago, Finchy said:

Ooh nice! Elden Ring is great. It's definitely a challenge, but I've heard Hades is a major challenge, too. I hope you enjoy it if/when you get it! :) Yesss Skyrim! ❤️ And I LOVE the Assassin's Creed games, too! Haven't played Valhalla yet though. I think there's nothing wrong with hyperfixating on one game at a time. I just like to hop from one game to another...like you said, balancing and taking breaks from heavier games. Like After playing Elden Ring, I'll play one of the lighter games.

I'm not big on board games, but that is super cool, too! 😄❤️ 

Hades IS a challenge, but I admittedly use accessibility functions / easier difficulty options when playing roguelikes because I get frustrated losing my progress every time otherwise. AC: Valhalla is the only AC game I've played before, but I LOVED It, sank way way too many hours into it. My partner who's played a ton of AC games also loved it and we both have played it extensively - I would highly recommend.