Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

I'm New

It's taken me to several weeks to go through the process of signing up. Am I opening myself up to more pain? My intention is to learn other's healing strategies, clearly the ones that I have attemtped haven't given me the tools to work through things. I've tried it all. Counceling, anti-depressents, disappearing, putting to much on my plate. I am also hoping that the tools that I have tried might help one of you.

I am not a "jump in feet first" person. Trust is a deal breaker....I don't budge there.

I would appreciate any support, advice, direction on where to start. I am not a computer guru...another reason it took me so long to go through this process....but I am WILLING to learn.

Where would be the best place to start?

Hi there! Welcome to AS! :)
I hope and pray that you find it as supportive and healing and compassionate as I have. My hope it that it aids you in your healing journey as much as it has in mine.

And no worries and how long it takes you to open up. That is the great thing about recovery; everyone goes at their own pace - there is no right or wrong when it comes to healing. :flowers:

Welcome to AS, I'm sorry you have a reason to be here but I'm glad you found us. If you're looking for some healing tools the "take to the sky" forum may have some posts you'll be interested in. The "Healing tips and inspiration forum" definitely has some good things like the post "Emergency Self Soothing Kit and Crisis Survival Strategies". Here is the link to that post:

http://www.aftersilence.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=98862

There is also the "Psychological Well-Being" forum here on AS as well as the "Well-Being" forum. Lots of people seek support in the "Gathering Place" and "Aftermath" forums and the "Share your story" is for when you are ready to break the silence about your story. "Venting" is really popular to let off steam if you need to.

I hope you will get some of the kind encouragement and support you deserve here.

:luck:

Edited by ActivistAlly

Hello lostandalone3,

welcome to After Silence, ActivistAlly has given you good advice there :) My name is Paula,. one of the newbie support team here. If you need any help with the site, please let me know and I will do my best to help if I can

take care, Paula

Thank you to all that responded. As I stated before, I am cautious. Was afraid to see if anyone responded, and if they did, what would be said. Overwhelmed would be a good place to start. So many suggestions....It will take me a while to understand how to navigate this forum. Willing to learn is my mantra lately.

How do I talk to somebody if I am needing support right now? My time is limited (children, husband...life gets in the way) of me being able to spend the amount of time I am sure I need to invest in me.

How do I tell someone that has responded to me "thank you"?

I think you just did thank us all Lostandalone but if you don't know about it, each person has a messenger or private message system (PM for short). If you want to send a message to any member you can either hover over their name and a little box will appear that has the option "Send message" and if you do that the PM window will open. Another way is to click on their icon which will bring you to their profile page and you can choose to message them from there.

Another way that you can talk with somebody here for support is to go to the AS chatroom. To go there you just click on chatroom on the choices in the black band on top of every page, read over the rules and you must agree to abide by them, and then at the bottom of the rule page click enter and you should (computer technical issues willing) enter the chat.

Please keep in mind that the chat is peer to peer support and is not a substitute for crisis intervention if you are in a situation more appropriately handled by law enforcement, emergency, or medical personnel, but it is a place you can get support. :)

I hope this helps answer your questions!

Activist Ally

• 2 months later...

HI there.

Welcome to AS.
I hope you find this site to be helpful.

My first username was yours only without the 3.

Then I changed it to Found.

Found