Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Hi, new to the forum

Hi all, I had thought that I was pretty much over what Ive experienced in the past, but just recently I was triggered again,  and I wonder if there is such a thing as being over it, or if there is some deeper acdeptancd I could find, or if there will always just be ups and downs.

Hi @positivevibe

Welcome to AS. I'm sorry for the trauma you have experienced, but I'm glad you found the site and decided to join. This is a kind and caring community and we are all here to support each other and help each other heal. 

The healing process is not easy and it is filled with ups and downs. It is common for survivors to feel "good" for a while only to be triggered by something and find themselves struggling. Overtime as you learn your triggers and gain more coping skills, there won't be as many "downs" or at least the "downs" won't last as long. Healing really is a life long process. Unfortunately, we never really get over trauma. We just learn to process in and manage it in an healthy way, so that it does not consume every minute of our days. Healing takes time and a lot of work, but it is worth it and we are all here to support your through it. 

Feel free to take some time looking around the site. You are welcome to post on the forums whenever you feel comfortable. Wishing you the best. 

Hi positivevibe,

Welcome to AfterSilence. I am very sorry for what you have experienced and the struggles you face. This was never fair for you to experience. Nobody had the right to hurt you. You have found a supportive community tho, with many understanding and kind members.

I agree with @snmls . Sadly, the trauma that is endured is nothing we can change. Healing is more of the discovery of what works with coping and managing these struggles better. Taking steps to find more better days, than not. It isn't always easy, I know. 

I am glad you reached out tho. I do feel that it helps to be able to interact with those who truly do understand...to support one another, share ideas, and ask questions. You will find this here. 

I do wish you many steps forward as you work towards making progress on this journey of healing. 

Mary

:notalone:

Welcome to AS, @positivevibe:aswelcomesu: I'm glad you found your way here. I'm sorry about what you've experienced, though. You didn't deserve any of it. I'm also sorry that you're having some flashbacks and extra bad moments lately with triggers. You'll find a lot of people here that can relate and that are super kind and supportive. You're not alone. I'm still very new to the healing process, and I can say that there are definitely moments when things are way more difficult than other times. When I think that I'm doing fine, and then BAM, triggered. So yeah. It's not strange to have that happen, unfortunately.

I wish you all the best. Take your time exploring the forum. ❤️ 

-Finch

Dear positivevibe

Welcome to  AS.   I am sorry to hear that you've had to find us, but  glad you did.  I am sad to hear that someone you care about has experienced trauma.  It is always wonderful to see someone willing and wanting to help their family member or friend through this   difficult time.   Just being there for them and letting  them talk without fear of judgement is the absolute best gift you can give them.  Please know and understand that we are also here to support you.  I hope that being here will help you to be able to support your loved one as best as you possibly can.  Please lean on us for support if you need.  

Wishing you all the best!!!

missfrier

Hey, 

You asked a very important question. Is it? Possible to “get over”. I’m sorry that you are going though this, that you have to wonder about this. I do, too, and I have no idea how to answer that. 
I believe the replies from other users are true and helpful. Patience and self-care is the best we can do, let ourselves feel all the emotions and trust that it time there will be fewer and less intense triggers. 
 I wish you strength and support for this journey of healing. 

Edited by galaxxxy

Welcome @positivevibe to After Silence.  I’m sorry for what brought you here but I’m happy you are here reaching out for support.  Good job taking this step in your healing process.  You are not alone and what happened to you wasn’t your fault.  Take your time exploring and post when you are ready.  If you have any questions feel free to message me.