Welcome to After Silence - A message board and chat room for rape, sexual assault, and sexual abuse survivors.

Welcome to After Silence, a message board and chat room designed to help survivors communicate in the recovery of rape, sexual abuse, sexual assault, and all types of sexual violence.

After Silence has over 30 different forums, ranging from topics created to discuss specific areas of healing and recovery from rape and sexual violence, as well as forums open to general discussions and lighter topics. Because we value the privacy of our members, most of our forums are private, which means that ONLY REGISTERED members have access to them. Please register for a free account to gain full access to the After Silence Online Support Group.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us at aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

"after Silence"

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 phoenyx

phoenyx

Native Spirit in the wind

• 1,249 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 10:33 AM

After Silence is an incredible place of healing full of support,friendship,nurturing and Love.

The phrase we have chosen for our wristbands has had me thinking as I anxiously await my special delivery. .

What does the phrase "After Silence" mean to you?

To me "After Silence" means:

I am growing and becoming stronger. I am no longer silent, I have found my voice. I am the only one of 6 kids in my family speaking out and "After Silence" to me means losing some of my biological family (that I was never close to anyway) and a few friends(who weren't really friends at all). I am a metamamorph in the process of becoming a butterfly. It is a time of self-discovery.

( know I have more to share but blanked out LOL.)

I have become.....
"Drying My Wings In The Warmth Of The Mid-day Sun"
hug.gif throb.gif
Lee

Edited by phoenyx, 21 August 2005 - 10:36 AM.

#2 Guest_Little Miss Happy_*

Guest_Little Miss Happy_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2005 - 10:44 AM

What a great thread.

so what does AFTER SILENCE mean to me?

- i like you am excitedly awaiting my wrist bands which i will wear with pride. I am sure wearing it will provoke some questions of others about what 'cause' it supports.
when these questions are posed i guess i will say it is a band about sexual abuse/rape awareness and then explain this board. That in itself for me will be 'hard' - because i am sure people will piece two and two together and realise that there must be a 'reason' i am wearing it.

i do wonder what after silence means for me, it seemed an apt phrase for the wrist bands because of the forum name. but i haven't really broken the silence... well not much anyway... i have told a counsellor, my mum (knows some of it) my friend also knows, but i would like to break the silence completely ~ im just not strong enough for that right now, one day maybe i will be ~ maybe my new wrist band will give me that strength.

so no interesting accounts of what it means to me just yet, but one day, maybe the meaning will be clear to me.

Dawn

wub.gif

#3 spent

spent

The eyes say it all

• 711 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 12:51 PM

After the Silence for me means survival and support.

Grace

PS Love you all! smile.gif

#4 Survivors sanctuary

Survivors sanctuary

We were beset by conflicts without and by fears within

• Contributing Member
  • 8,273 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 03:43 PM

hug.gif A great thread, I am only going to be quick in my reply at the moment because I have got to shoot off and do other things, but I will come back at some point and answer this more fully ... So for now ..

After silence we have many wonderful beautiful voices ... hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif

#5 Donna

Donna

Liver Schmiver

• Contributing Member
  • 9,726 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 07:38 PM

I could easily write a full page post, but I think I can wind it down to a few words shockingly. smile.gif

AS to me means... wub.gif family wub.gif which is the very first feeling I feel the minute I step foot in here and the very last feeling I feel when I leave for the day.

Alot of feelings & emotions surround the word family for me, so I think that sums it up. hug.gif hug.gif

#6 smilingtears

smilingtears

Becoming who GOD intended me to be!

• 1,911 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 08:38 PM

AFTER SILENCE for me mean... speaking up, not being silent and letting my voice be heard.

and ya know donna you make a great point AS is family. i never thought about it before but you all really are my family. we're a great support system for each other, where we can cry, laugh and just be ourselves and not be afraid of what someones thinking, because we've all been there.

so when someone asks why im whereing it i will say... because im no longer silent, i belong to a sight for survivors and we are all a huge loving family, who have found our voices and want to be heard.

-kristine
hug.gif hug.gif wub.gif hug.gif hug.gif

#7 Guest_-Jennifer-_*

Guest_-Jennifer-_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2005 - 04:45 PM

To me "after silence"

Means...after the storm. Living and being full and alive, "after the silence" as ended. Its all of the pain, hurt, anger that is essentially my aftermath. It is the journey from the day I admitted to myself, to others around me, coming here for support, that I was a survivor of rape. Its the beginning to the end of the rest of my life. After silence can be grey, dim, dusk, sad, unhappy, morbid, sick, red, or you can take power over your after silence and make it beautiful....

To give a picture of what I would think it is....Imagine the outdoors....right after a strong rainstorm, or hurricane (for us Floridians). Its got that "just rained tint" The color of the green grass is exemplified, the sounds of the birds chirpping-exemplified....A long stretch of beautiful green field, with a few bushes....on those bushes a few blossoming beautiful pink flowers....*sigh*

And while there is all of this plush life, buzzing around, everything is completely silent, as if it is in awe at the miracle of surviving the storm...Anyhow.

Oh I feel happy now.

Warm Feelings.

#8 -Nicole-

-Nicole-

Be Still

• Contributing Member
  • 5,474 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 06:43 PM

I don't know where I heard it, but whenever I think of the words "After Silence", I think of the quote, "After Silence, the healing begins."

I found this message board while I was reading the book, After Silence, it was also around the time I did break my silence successfully (yes, there were unsuccessful times). The path that lead me to this board was interesting, but I know there was a reason I found it and stayed here. After Silence holds a special place in my heart and my healing.

"After Silence" means a lot to me in so many different and wonderful ways. I do feel comfortable, like I am coming home when I log on every day. hug.gif

throb.gif wub.gif Nicole wub.gif throb.gif

#9 drowning000

drowning000

carpe diem

• 3,164 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 12:01 AM

great idea!!!

getting these wristbands are gonna be a great boost for me.. to me, its going to bring courage support and i no its been mentioned before but the feeling of family, closeness and compassion i guess. looking at the wristband will give me hope and comfort knowing i have u guys here whenever i need, and when im low, i can look at it and know that im not alone, not at all.

racheal

#10 Jessie

Jessie

I've done my sentence, but committed no crime

• Consultant
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 07:46 PM

I came across After Silence one evening having hit rock rock bottom. I believe it saved me in alot of ways. I had totally given up and just wanted to end the pain. I read for hours and for the first time since my attack I felt a small glimmer of hope that I may actually be able to get through this. Reading about others who were further along in their healing gave me so much hope.
AS will always hold a special place in my heart. I feel it saved my life in so many ways. I'm not sure where I'd be today without it. It gives me the strength to get throught he hard times. Without AS I'd never have met the wonderful amazing people I have been lucky enough to get to know and I'll be forever grateful for it. smile.gif

throb.gif throb.gif wub.gif

#11 Vera

Vera

She's been gone, have you seen her?

• Administrator
  • 7,373 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 12:31 AM

Without AS I'd never have met the wonderful amazing people I have been lucky enough to get to know and I'll be forever grateful for it.

((((Jess))))

we are the lucky ones!

Since we have this brand new "Well-Being" forum, I moved this topic here as it seems to fit pretty well smile.gif

#12 -Nicole-

-Nicole-

Be Still

• Contributing Member
  • 5,474 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 06:43 AM

After Silence is one of the very few things in my life that I'm proud of throb.gif

Vera - you are so amazing. AS is just the first in many amazing projects you will touch so many with. Well, I guess your website itself would have been first, which is an amazing resource for survivors! You should be proud!!!

Nicole hug.gif

#13 shivedheart

shivedheart

Finding My Way

• 887 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 08:31 AM

To me, "After Silence" means finding my voice and realizing a few things. It was never my fault and more importantly, I am no longer alone. I am no longer a victim, but am a survivor. I have met some wonderful people here!

PS how do I get a wrist band?!

Kelly

#14 Jane

Jane

Fighting for it all

• 1,273 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 11:37 PM

After Silence means exactly that. This is the first time except my hubby that I broke the silence and I'm keeping it broken. EVeryday I break it!

I've met many wonderful people and I'm so lucky to have met each and every one of them.

hug.gif wub.gif

#15 luv2dance

luv2dance

Finding My Way

• 1,452 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 11:53 PM

To me After Silence means me being able to be true to myself and to others. I am free to be me and I dont have to keep anymore secrets. It means that after all these years of being alone in silence that I can now face what has happened to me and deal with it. It means that I have met some wonderful, helpful and very caring people who have helped me out so much. Breaking my silence has made a big difference in my life in many ways. And I cant thank everyone that has helped me and supported me enough. Before this site, I never wouldve thought that a web site could have such an impact on my life and make me realize that I'm not alone, and I'm not such a weirdo after all. And that even after all that I have been through I am still a good person and I can do something good with my life. I love you all, thanks so much. It is truly a wonderful thing that we are all here for each other and support one another. wub.gif

hug.gif throb.gif hug.gif throb.gif hug.gif throb.gif hug.gif

Jessica