Welcome to After Silence - A message board and chat room for rape, sexual assault, and sexual abuse survivors.

Welcome to After Silence, a message board and chat room designed to help survivors communicate in the recovery of rape, sexual abuse, sexual assault, and all types of sexual violence.

After Silence has over 30 different forums, ranging from topics created to discuss specific areas of healing and recovery from rape and sexual violence, as well as forums open to general discussions and lighter topics. Because we value the privacy of our members, most of our forums are private, which means that ONLY REGISTERED members have access to them. Please register for a free account to gain full access to the After Silence Online Support Group.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us at aftersilence.org@gmail.com
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Quick Escape?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 crimsonprincess89

crimsonprincess89

~*~Hayley~*~

• 24 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 01:44 PM

So I've been browsing some similar sites to After Silence, and I've noticed that a lot of them seem to have a "quick escape" button on their pages. When this is clicked, it takes you instantly to Google, which would be nice for those of us who have family members/roommates unaware of our experiences. I think it would be helpful to have too, just to help preserve privacy.

#2 -Possum-

-Possum-
  • Inactive Member
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:24 PM

Can you not just put Google as a favourite and click it if you need to do that? Firefox and Chrome also have private/incognito browsing which don't save your history when you use them. IE may also have this but I don't use it!

Rosi

#3 dodo

dodo

before the end

• Newbie Support Team
  • 17,378 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:37 PM

I just quickly click minimise or the X - I am lucky that husband does not know how to maximise stuff - or even that you can minimise!

karen

#4 John

John

We're all stories in the end....make yours a good one

• Administrator
  • 7,633 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:05 PM

The only issue is a technical one -- it's hard to implement such a link onto every AS page, my advice would be as follows, update yourself to latest version of your favorite web browser with tabs, then always have Google as the first tab, and have AS open in the second, if you quickly need to close, then click CTRL + W

It's always best to test this works on your individual computer before in a real situation. Also by doing this, it mean people can't click the back button to see what you've been viewing, where a Quick Escape button would allow this.

Hope this helps flowers.gif

John

#5 ~FOUND~

~FOUND~

Anna is found by God!!! Anna loves Jesus!

• 46,672 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:35 AM

Good idea.
But I think all you have to do is x out at the top right.
Found

#6 sunshinee

sunshinee
  • Newbie Support Team
  • 5,167 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:30 PM

Thanks for the CTRL+W I didn't know about that!!!! Handy smile.gif

QUOTE (John @ Jul 31 2011, 11:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only issue is a technical one -- it's hard to implement such a link onto every AS page, my advice would be as follows, update yourself to latest version of your favorite web browser with tabs, then always have Google as the first tab, and have AS open in the second, if you quickly need to close, then click CTRL + W

It's always best to test this works on your individual computer before in a real situation. Also by doing this, it mean people can't click the back button to see what you've been viewing, where a Quick Escape button would allow this.

Hope this helps flowers.gif

John

#7 John

John

• Administrator
  • 7,633 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:39 AM

Your welcome! smile.gif

#8 rainwoman21

rainwoman21
  • 223 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:21 PM

Here's a tip that might help people who don't know about it. If you live with other people or share a computer, the best way to hide it is to use Private Browsing. That means that the browser does not save any history, so nobody can see the pages you've been looking at.

I use Firefox and Internet Explorer, and all you have to do is click the tab at the top left of the page and you will see an option that says "Start InPrivate Browsing." You can also do this if you right click on the shortcuts for Internet Explorer and Firefox. The option should still be there. This has been a real lifesaver for me when I have used public computers or the computer over a friend's house to access this site!

#9 John

John

• Administrator
  • 7,633 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:24 AM

That's a very good tip from Rainwoman! Thank-you Rain flowers.gif

#10 JenD

JenD
  • Contributing Member
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 04:13 PM

One thing to keep in mind if you are using the 'private browsing function': Cookies, history etc are indeed not stored. However, if you close the window without logging out of AS while having another window open, you are not automatically logged out from AS. When you then go back to the AS website you will see that you are still logged in. At least that how it is for Firefox. (I was really surprised when I noticed that).