Welcome to After Silence - A message board and chat room for rape, sexual assault, and sexual abuse survivors.

Welcome to After Silence, a message board and chat room designed to help survivors communicate in the recovery of rape, sexual abuse, sexual assault, and all types of sexual violence.

After Silence has over 30 different forums, ranging from topics created to discuss specific areas of healing and recovery from rape and sexual violence, as well as forums open to general discussions and lighter topics. Because we value the privacy of our members, most of our forums are private, which means that ONLY REGISTERED members have access to them. Please register for a free account to gain full access to the After Silence Online Support Group.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us at aftersilence.org@gmail.com
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cussing In Posts?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 RiseAndShine

RiseAndShine

♥ reclaiming my life ♥

• 3,364 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE (Vera @ May 17 2011, 12:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yup, you are absolutely correct. It's okay to use full cuss words in posts, but not in titles. And we do ask that members place a triggering warning in the title, so members who are sensitive to cuss words or who are triggered by them can choose not to read.

Whenever possible, we really want members to use their voice as freely as they want, and censoring cuss words would go against it. tealribbon.gif

vera, thank you for checking the filter and taking out the swear words that are not especially sensitive in our context! it makes total sense to me to leave the ones that you left. and i am really glad that you are making it possible for us to express our feelings in an uncensored way.

flowers.gif ThankYou.gif flowers.gif

riana

#17 Reyzl

Reyzl
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:36 PM

Thanks for that Vera thumbsup.gif hug.gif !

River, I appreciate you raising this as many of us feel frustrated not being allowed to let rip when we need to without *'s making us look coy about it!! There's a hilarious thread somewhere way back in the venting section about just this topic if you do a search for it.

Lol, if you think *'s are bad, you should have been on a forum I used to use ~ that one was programmed to replace swear words with nonsense phrases, so for eg. the word "b*tch" would appear in your post as "Pregnant dog" (wtf?? That isn't even the definition of the word, lol!!), any rude word for male body parts came out as "thingy" and female parts = "girl thingy", cocker spaniel = "thingy er spaniel" (!!!), sh*t = "nuts", wh*re = "sleeper".
Imagine the embarassment, not to mention concern for your own sanity, when you re-read your own post a day or two later and found for some inexplicable reason you seemed to have written "I was pregant dog ing about my boss the other day and ...." LOL duh.gif !!

Reyzl

p.s Just to reassure you, I added the *'s myself this time, it's not that the new adaptations are malfunctioning!!

#18 riverbird

riverbird
  • 434 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:57 PM

QUOTE (Reyzl @ May 16 2011, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for that Vera thumbsup.gif hug.gif !

River, I appreciate you raising this as many of us feel frustrated not being allowed to let rip when we need to without *'s making us look coy about it!! There's a hilarious thread somewhere way back in the venting section about just this topic if you do a search for it.

Lol, if you think *'s are bad, you should have been on a forum I used to use ~ that one was programmed to replace swear words with nonsense phrases, so for eg. the word "b*tch" would appear in your post as "Pregnant dog" (wtf?? That isn't even the definition of the word, lol!!), any rude word for male body parts came out as "thingy" and female parts = "girl thingy", cocker spaniel = "thingy er spaniel" (!!!), sh*t = "nuts", wh*re = "sleeper".
Imagine the embarassment, not to mention concern for your own sanity, when you re-read your own post a day or two later and found for some inexplicable reason you seemed to have written "I was pregant dog ing about my boss the other day and ...." LOL duh.gif !!

Reyzl

p.s Just to reassure you, I added the *'s myself this time, it's not that the new adaptations are malfunctioning!!

LOL that's awesome!!! I've actually been to a forum that used "nuts" or something like that...and I think also "darn", but the female dog and thingy are new to me and hilarious! I almost want to go rewrite my swear-a-thon rant and add in the replacements just for the comedy of it. Thank you. You've made me laugh out loud for the first time in a while!

I agree that sometimes you really just need to say what you think and i'm glad to know I'm not the only one. I was starting to worry that I was the only one that thought that dropping an f-bomb or two (or other such words) isn't a big deal and feels necessary sometimes to write about the level of evil so many of us have been through.

I'm also glad to know it was a filter thing...as I just couldn't figure out the logic behind anyone wading through my incredibly graphic rant to remove the i's from my sh*ts. (I'll be good since ppl have said on this thread they don't like cussing).

Thanks for your support Reyzl, and thanks for the help Vera!

#19 MortalGoddess

MortalGoddess
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:27 PM

Thanks so much for getting the filter fixed. I'd noticed it...but hadn't really thought about it.