Welcome to After Silence - A message board and chat room for rape, sexual assault, and sexual abuse survivors.

Welcome to After Silence, a message board and chat room designed to help survivors communicate in the recovery of rape, sexual abuse, sexual assault, and all types of sexual violence.

After Silence has over 30 different forums, ranging from topics created to discuss specific areas of healing and recovery from rape and sexual violence, as well as forums open to general discussions and lighter topics. Because we value the privacy of our members, most of our forums are private, which means that ONLY REGISTERED members have access to them. Please register for a free account to gain full access to the After Silence Online Support Group.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us at aftersilence.org@gmail.com
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cussing In Posts?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 riverbird

riverbird
  • 434 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:54 PM

I understand cussing is not allowed in topic titles, but is it now not allowed in posts either? I'm a little frustrated that my venting thread was edited without my consent. I don't cuss often, but sometimes I just feel like it's necessary and it doesn't have the same effect when everything has little * in it. I thought it was ok as long as there is a warning in the title.

Am I misunderstanding something?

#2 ~FOUND~

~FOUND~

Anna is found by God!!! Anna loves Jesus!

• 46,672 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:57 PM

I would be upset too.
Just want you to know you are being supported and heard.
Found

#3 Solameya

Solameya
  • 652 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 01:00 PM

I thought it was ok in the body as well, just not the title, but I just looked at a post I made today, and it's censored as well. I guess there's no point to me putting a trigger warning for cussing anymore.

#4 -Possum-

-Possum-
  • Inactive Member
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 01:16 PM

I'm pretty sure the board does it automatically, just like the chatroom automatically blocks swear words.
No-one went in and changed your words, so it's not really a consent issue.

I'm not a board moderator so I can't really comment on why this is.

Possum

#5 sarka

sarka
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 01:32 PM

yeah I've also noticed that the board automatically puts asterisks in swear words. You can sort of get around it by separating out the letters so the auto-editor won't recognize them.

#6 Kelly

Kelly

Sesame Street Rocks!

• 7,067 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:09 PM

The board does automatically edit certain swear words, but not all of them. We rarely go in and edit them ourselves.

You can sort of get around it by separating out the letters so the auto-editor won't recognize them.

This totally defeats the parameters that have been set by the board and is not recommended.

#7 Solameya

Solameya
  • 652 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:32 PM

I noticed another board I'm on does the same thing. Found out it even blocked the names of certain medications. Kind of freaked me out until I realized it was automatic. I was actually glad there, because I didn't want to cuss there, but posted something without editing, and then looked back at it. Since I'm dealing with emotional issues here, and can put a trigger warning, I wasn't worried about cussing here, but seems like it will still get filtered.

Suggestion for the moderators....there's a notice about swearing in topic titles that specifically says its ok to swear in the post. Could you add to that the bit about the filter? I know if I read that ahead of time, I wouldn't be so caught off guard and upset when it did happen. I could even choose to self-edit rather than have the board do it if I didn't my own words changed.

Thanks!

#8 Kelly

Kelly

Sesame Street Rocks!

• 7,067 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 03:48 PM

Suggestion for the moderators....there's a notice about swearing in topic titles that specifically says its ok to swear in the post. Could you add to that the bit about the filter? I know if I read that ahead of time, I wouldn't be so caught off guard and upset when it did happen. I could even choose to self-edit rather than have the board do it if I didn't my own words changed.

I think it's a good idea. I'll bring it to the mods/admins attention. Thanks. tealribbon.gif

#9 dodo

dodo

before the end

• Newbie Support Team
  • 17,378 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:16 PM

Strangly enough it edits certain swear words out of the posts - but not out of the title

karen

#10 riverbird

riverbird
  • 434 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 05:24 PM

QUOTE (Kelly @ May 15 2011, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The board does automatically edit certain swear words, but not all of them. We rarely go in and edit them ourselves.

Would it be possible to turn that off...at least for the vent folder? I think it would be nice if there was a place to really say what's on your mind. If it was just in that folder and with warnings people could know not to go there unless they're ok with reading it.

#11 Denali

Denali
  • 350 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 05:32 PM

I like River's suggestion about a folder for expletives. As a NON-swearer, I'd appreciate it.
Is there a NO Smoking Sign around, too.. jk.

#12 Denali

Denali
  • 350 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 05:36 PM

Edited by Denali, 16 May 2011 - 08:31 PM.

#13 Vera

Vera

She's been gone, have you seen her?

• Administrator
  • 7,349 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:44 PM

Hey there,

I went to check our "Badword Filters" and did notice a lot more words had been added since the last time I looked, which I believe was done automatically when we last updated the board, so all the common swear words, like the f. one, were included.

I fixed it and the only "bad words" left now are the ones we believe trolls could use to upset people and/or post sexually explicit messages with the intent of upsetting members.

I'm gonna list the only censored words we have now below, in case any of you want to know which one they are. If you are triggered by explicit swear words and/or graphic, for some derogative, ways in which parts of the body can be referred to, please be safe and skip the spoiler tag.

Thank you.

c*ck, c*nt, di*k, p*ssy, motherfuc*er, sl*t, w**re, bit*h

#14 riverbird

riverbird
  • 434 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE (Vera @ May 16 2011, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey there,

I went to check our "Badword Filters" and did notice a lot more words had been added since the last time I looked, which I believe was done automatically when we last updated the board, so all the common swear words, like the f. one, were included.

I fixed it and the only "bad words" left now are the ones we believe trolls could use to upset people and/or post sexually explicit messages with the intent of upsetting members.

I'm gonna list the only censored words we have now below, in case any of you want to know which one they are. If you are triggered by explicit swear words and/or graphic, for some derogative, ways in which parts of the body can be referred to, please be safe and skip the spoiler tag.

Thank you.

c*ck, c*nt, di*k, p*ssy, motherfuc*er, sl*t, w**re, bit*h

Thank you for the update. So just to clarify it is ok to use cuss words in posts without censoring them still as long as we include the trigger warning in the title (and not cuss in the title). I want to make sure I'm understanding this right so I don't accidentally upset or offend someone with my sometimes potty mouth.

Thanks!

#15 Vera

Vera

She's been gone, have you seen her?

• Administrator
  • 7,349 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:02 PM

QUOTE (riverbird @ May 16 2011, 05:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you for the update. So just to clarify it is ok to use cuss words in posts without censoring them still as long as we include the trigger warning in the title (and not cuss in the title).

Yup, you are absolutely correct. It's okay to use full cuss words in posts, but not in titles. And we do ask that members place a triggering warning in the title, so members who are sensitive to cuss words or who are triggered by them can choose not to read.

Whenever possible, we really want members to use their voice as freely as they want, and censoring cuss words would go against it. tealribbon.gif