Welcome to After Silence - A message board and chat room for rape, sexual assault, and sexual abuse survivors.

Welcome to After Silence, a message board and chat room designed to help survivors communicate in the recovery of rape, sexual abuse, sexual assault, and all types of sexual violence.

After Silence has over 30 different forums, ranging from topics created to discuss specific areas of healing and recovery from rape and sexual violence, as well as forums open to general discussions and lighter topics. Because we value the privacy of our members, most of our forums are private, which means that ONLY REGISTERED members have access to them. Please register for a free account to gain full access to the After Silence Online Support Group.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us at aftersilence.org@gmail.com
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Facebook And After Silence?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#16 RiseAndShine

RiseAndShine

♥ reclaiming my life ♥

• 3,364 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 07:27 AM

QUOTE (-Possum- @ Nov 26 2010, 10:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whoever is running the group would have to be friends with the others to invite them, which would show to their friends.

is that so with private groups?

i actually remembered there was a group and looked for it a while ago, but duh.gif did not find it. so i think it should be posted somewhere here if other people want to join.... cause since it's secret, well, nobody can know about it.

possum, i understand your concern about privacy. i personally do not want to add just whoever is on AS to my fb friends. i only add those who i feel i know on a personal basis already, and who i would call, well, friends. flowers.gif

even if you join such a group, you can still protect your privacy from potentially malicious members. i have my settings so that only my friends can see my friends list, for example. some goes with all other info you mention.

and i think it is definitely time to have some official AS representation on fb. thumbsup.gif

#17 -Possum-

-Possum-
  • Inactive Member
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 09:03 AM

I mean whoever is running the group would have to be friends with people to invite them, and then their friends could see who they are friends with.
Unless AS had their own account which people could become friends with? I don't know!

xx

#18 NurseMandi

NurseMandi

Queen of Everything

• 635 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 09:25 AM

I have quite a few AS members on my facebook, but I always make it known that I don't talk about the stuff I talk about on here publicly. Private messages and chat only. . .

Most of my irl friends do know stuff, but there are a few better off not knowingcertain things.

A private group is a good idea if we can make it work.

#19 philkay

philkay
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 04:10 PM

I'm not even comfortable with social networking sites such as Facebook.

#20 Becky

Becky

There is Hope

• Contributing Member
  • 9,929 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:47 PM

We will definitely add a Facebook page for After Silence very soon and will post the link on the board!! It will be a public page, however, similar to the one RAINN and other organizations have on Facebook.

For safety reasons, only AS staff can create and monitor any group/activity that is directly associated with After Silence.

Thank you, Vera! Sounds good! smile.gif

#21 yankee123

yankee123
  • 72 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 05:14 PM

so is there a group? i wouldnt mind joining if its private

#22 ~FOUND~

~FOUND~

Anna is found by God!!! Anna loves Jesus!

• 46,672 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 05:51 PM

So, has anything been done yet?

#23 Becky

Becky

There is Hope

• Contributing Member
  • 9,929 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 08:06 PM

No, not yet.

#24 Invalid

Invalid
  • 193 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 11:46 PM

I might join or "like" the after silence fb page......I already have fb "liked" rape support pages, I think ppl just think I am supporting them, not that I necessarily am a survivor.....unless of course, they are one of the ppl that knows..

I won't post any personal info on it but I will join or like the page and read the posts..

#25 Donna

Donna

Liver Schmiver

• Contributing Member
  • 9,723 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:45 AM

It would definitely bring awareness to rape/child abuse ect to have a page on Facebook in regards to AS. From my experience I would do a page & not a group, it is easier to like something than to push for people to join.

Can't wait to help push you guys when you decide to create a page! smile.gif

#26 whitedove

whitedove
  • Contributing Member
  • 3,360 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:01 AM

I know I have done a page and a group for the survivor organisation I am, because of the easiness of the individual page. Face book however, were urging a group for organisations.

Looking forward to seeing the FB page and joining in.

Whitedove.

Edited by whitedove, 21 February 2011 - 04:03 AM.

#27 phoenixgirl

phoenixgirl

Trying...Trying to keep my head above water

• Contributing Member
  • 2,092 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:55 AM

Hmmm... I can't do it. Can't join anything like this on FB. Too out of my control for my liking...

If others feel comfortable, then that's great.

Just can't do it..... sad.gif

#28 strawberrycookie

strawberrycookie
  • 684 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 05:06 AM

I like the idea, but I couldn't do it publicly

#29 fairypirate

fairypirate
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:17 AM

QUOTE (strawberrycookie @ Feb 21 2011, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like the idea, but I couldn't do it publicly

Same here

#30 Donna

Donna

Liver Schmiver

• Contributing Member
  • 9,723 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:41 AM

Anyone does what their comfy with of course but also remember whatever you like does not necessarily show that you survived it, it shows that you support it.