Welcome to After Silence - A message board and chat room for rape, sexual assault, and sexual abuse survivors.

Welcome to After Silence, a message board and chat room designed to help survivors communicate in the recovery of rape, sexual abuse, sexual assault, and all types of sexual violence.

After Silence has over 30 different forums, ranging from topics created to discuss specific areas of healing and recovery from rape and sexual violence, as well as forums open to general discussions and lighter topics. Because we value the privacy of our members, most of our forums are private, which means that ONLY REGISTERED members have access to them. Please register for a free account to gain full access to the After Silence Online Support Group.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us at aftersilence.org@gmail.com
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

um...hi?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Clarissa

Clarissa

Little Dancing Butterfly

• 1,122 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 03:59 PM

hi...i just stumbled on your page trying to get over all this... wanting someone who will understand... It's so lonely and everyone thinks I should have gotten over it by now...all i want to do is scream! Anyways, just wanted to say thank you for all the posts...theyre helping a lot.

#2 Peacegirl

Peacegirl

Searching Soul

• 3,960 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 06:22 PM

Welcome to After Silence. I think that one of the worst things for people to say to a survivor is "just get over it...it was so long ago" Abuse in any form is life altering and changes a person. The key is being able to live with what happened and integrate it with your life. I hope you will find support here on your journey to healing. I'm here if you need anything. Take care

Lindsay

#3 Clarissa

Clarissa

Little Dancing Butterfly

• 1,122 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 04:00 AM

Thank you so much... I know that one day, all this will pass, and I am encouraged by all the support here. I know things will stink too sometimes, but it's a good feeling to know that there are people who really do understand. THanks again. =)

[Edited on 1-5-2004 by Clarissa]

#4 Lindy

Lindy

Running Princess

• Administrator
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 09:45 AM

Clarissa,

Hi and welcome to After Silence. I hope you find all the support and encouragement you seek here.

Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here for you.

Take gentle care,

Lindy

#5 Vera

Vera

She's been gone, have you seen her?

• Administrator
  • 7,349 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 10:57 AM

Welcome to "After Silence".
Please make yourself at home, we are a group of people who all share a common ground and wish to support one another.

The whole 'get over it' thing makes me so mad and sad. To me, it is one of the most invalidating remarks ever. Survivors have enough trouble thinking that they are alone in what they feel and this feeling is often aggravated by people saying things like "things aren't that bad", "think positive", "look at the bright side, you'll feel better tomorrow" and similar invalidating remarks that lead a person to feel very isolated.

We are here for you and I can assure you that no one here will ever tell you to "get over it"....we have been there and we know better!

Hugs,
Verena

#6 Clarissa

Clarissa

Little Dancing Butterfly

• 1,122 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 02:31 AM

wow, i never thought of it that way...always just thought something was wrong with me....i mean, i should get over it, shouldn't i?
THank you for replying to me... to have SO MANY of you care and truly understand and be patient with me is a first!