Welcome to After Silence - A message board and chat room for rape, sexual assault, and sexual abuse survivors.

Welcome to After Silence, a message board and chat room designed to help survivors communicate in the recovery of rape, sexual abuse, sexual assault, and all types of sexual violence.

After Silence has over 30 different forums, ranging from topics created to discuss specific areas of healing and recovery from rape and sexual violence, as well as forums open to general discussions and lighter topics. Because we value the privacy of our members, most of our forums are private, which means that ONLY REGISTERED members have access to them. Please register for a free account to gain full access to the After Silence Online Support Group.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us at aftersilence.org@gmail.com
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Looking In A Mirror

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 determined 1

determined 1

determined 1

• 3,896 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 12:35 PM

Last night I couldn't sleep so I lay there thinking about us, my friends,and fellow survivors and something really struck me.
Why is it that us survivors feel so much pain over the abuse inflicted on us?
I've heard wonderful people call themselves sick, freaks, perverts, unworthy,deserving of pain, deserving shame, and self-loathing.
When talking about letting others know of our abuse I've heard, they won't love me as much, they'll be disqusted with me,they'll think I'm crazy, they'll think that I deserved it, they'll think I'm weak. Now I could go on and on but , you get it.
So , I ask myself "why?"
Why are we sick or freaks or perverts, we didn't hurt anyone, our abusers did. So why not lay the blame where it belongs? They are the sick ones, the freaks, the perverts. They should be the ones hiding and scared and riticuled by others.
As for the other statements, they won't love me as much. Why not? Your still the same beautiful person you were, your not the monster he/she is.
They'll be disqusted with me. Why? You didn't ask to be raped because you get off on those things, your abuser did. So doesn't HE deserve the disqust?
Well,I deserved it. Why do you deserve it? Because you were in the wrong place at the wrong time? Because you stupidly were born around a pedaphile? Or because God was just bored and decided "she looks bad, I'll F*ck her life up?"
Of course not!
Our abusers are the only ones who should be hiding in shame, and being ostricized by society, and hunted until they die.
My sisters and brothers, when you look at the blame, your looking through a mirror backwards, stop looking in, and start looking out.
Blessings to you all."D"

#2 dodo

dodo

before the end

• Newbie Support Team
  • 17,378 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 02:17 PM

I read!!!

I understand totally what you are saying - I wrote something similar myself a while back - why aren't we shouting to the world what was DONE TO US - not what we did because we did nothing.

And I don't understand why so many put so much of the blame on themselves - and I include myself in this too - I wish I could wave a magic wand - so that eveyone knows and understands they were not to blame = ever = for what happened

best wishes

karen

#3 determined 1

determined 1

determined 1

• 3,896 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 02:23 PM

Yes, Karen, exactly. So many survivors are beautiful, loving, giving souls, and none of us deserves this self hatred.
The most awesome day for me is the day I saw that. I am not ashamed or quiet about my abuse now simply because I did no wrong.
That's such a gift from above .
Blessings! "D"

#4 Marty

Marty
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 02:30 PM

I hope I get to that place some day. I can talk about it in general and my brain knows it was not my fault but that feeling of shame is still there lurking in the background. I think I still have work to do.

Blessings to all of you who give us hope for the future! thanx.gif

Marty

#5 joss

joss
  • Inactive Member
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 02:45 PM

Thanks D.

Edited by joss, 25 December 2008 - 06:18 PM.

#6 angelic

angelic

Gra, Gaire agus Sonas

• Newbie Support Team
  • 8,184 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:08 PM

hug.gif D, you are so right, we are too busy focussing on what is wrong with us, we seem to miss all that is right with us. We have so much to offer the world, and each other , but we have become so brain-washed by our experiences, that we cant see past that. Thank you for making us see the other side.

best wishes. Paula hug.gif

#7 shelfies

shelfies
  • 659 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:24 PM

What can I say? I love the way you think D! Wow! What a pep talk! I like your style.
Thank you, thank you, thank you. hug.gif

All the stuff you said about the wrong way we think of ourselves is in a chapter of a book I'm reading right now. It tells how to change our wrong thinking that was damaged by the abuse.
But hey, who needs a book when we have you to tell us. lol

Quote - My sisters and brothers, when you look at the blame, your looking through a mirror backwards, stop looking in, and start looking out.

Our abusers are the only ones who should be hiding in shame, and being ostricized by society, and hunted until they die.

So true and well said my sister.
~Erin~

#8 blossums

blossums

Sausages.

• 3,351 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:37 PM

RAH!

I agree with you!

I heard something recently that was interesting to me, something about if something / anything happens to us when we a re children, we automatically feel responsible because young children can't explain the world around them any other way - so eg I thought my mum's illness was my fault

Am only recently getting to see that I'm really not so bad after all (said with fingers crossed and looking over shoulder for the next bad thing)

but really i agree with you!

clapping.gif

#9 mawa

mawa

mawa

• 307 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 04:10 PM

What can I say. YOU ROCK, no- WE ALL at AFTER SILENCE ROCK!!!!!!!!!

blush.gif kitty.gif supportu.gif loveas.gif youcanheal.gif bubble01.gif penguin.gif ditto.gif lindybear.gif friends2.gif love-smiley-024.gif cloud9.gif chocolate.gif agree2.gif chat.gif

#10 Mom_of_5

Mom_of_5
  • 161 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 04:50 PM

gonna print this out if that's ok, every time i get into the "self-hatred" mode, i will look at this and remind myself........it was NOT my fault!!!!!

#11 determined 1

determined 1

determined 1

• 3,896 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 05:02 PM

That is most definetely alright. And guys, the ones who aren't there yet, I just tried to remember the "Day" it sank in, and it was after joining AS and seeing myself and my pain reflected through your eyes in every hurting post I've read. So, hang in there, and support each other because everytime you tell another that they weren't to blame your telling yourself too!
Blessings, "D" hug.gif

#12 struggling

struggling
  • 148 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 06:13 PM

Thanks for that!!! I hope someday I can be in that place where the self loathing is gone. And I know until I open up more it won't happen. I have been trying to open up but my feeble attempts aren't enough. I just to find a way to work through everything. I was thinking a lot about fear last night since that is the basis f everything for me. And I thought....why am I so scared?? I was watching my little puppy who, with the help of the neighbor puppy, dug his way over to play with the Bull Mastiff next door. Bear in mind my puppy only weights about 17 lbs and the Mastiff puppy is already around 90lbs. He had no fear and when I went out and found him over there he was just running the yard playing with the other puppy. He could have sat in my yard and been scared and therefore bored..instead they worked together and dug a hole and had a blast!!!

I guess I need to learn from my puppy and try to open up more.

Thanks,

Kerry

#13 determined 1

determined 1

determined 1

• 3,896 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 06:38 PM

Struggling, stop struggling quite so hard and accept that you do have a friend and are worthy of love already. All you have to do is accept it. hug.gif
Blessings my friend, you ARE needed! "D"

#14 ButterflyRose

ButterflyRose
  • 261 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 06:48 PM

People are judgemental, I've heard people say "she was asking for it", "she deserved to be raped", " She liked getting raped", "She got what was coming", etc..

People love it to see other people suffer and in pain, not everyone but alot of people,

Also if they know the rapist and are his friend, he will be defended.

#15 determined 1

determined 1

determined 1

• 3,896 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 07:04 PM

Yes Love, there will always be idiots in this world. But, that makes us no less innocent.
It simply means that evil does still exist in this world, but everytime a survivor is able to break through their lies and raise their head proudly it destroys that evil a bit at time.
Blessings, "D"