Welcome to After Silence - A message board and chat room for rape, sexual assault, and sexual abuse survivors.

Welcome to After Silence, a message board and chat room designed to help survivors communicate in the recovery of rape, sexual abuse, sexual assault, and all types of sexual violence.

After Silence has over 30 different forums, ranging from topics created to discuss specific areas of healing and recovery from rape and sexual violence, as well as forums open to general discussions and lighter topics. Because we value the privacy of our members, most of our forums are private, which means that ONLY REGISTERED members have access to them. Please register for a free account to gain full access to the After Silence Online Support Group.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us at aftersilence.org@gmail.com
Guest Message by DevFuse

General Age Of Forum

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_queenie_*

Guest_queenie_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2004 - 08:26 PM

I'm 21...yah I think we have all ages tongue.gif I hope I don't feel old when I'm 30! That's sooooooooo young! Actually I hope I don't ever feel old...even if I'm pushin the enevelop and ready to go! tongue.gif

#17 Alysure

Alysure

Specialized Catastrophe

• 950 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 09:45 PM

I'll be 23 in January smile.gif

People tell me I am old for my age, does that make sense :o

#18 Guest_Malt123_*

Guest_Malt123_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2004 - 09:55 PM

I am glad to see all the different ages here because I am feeling very old went to a doc for a physical for work and you wouldn't believe how I get treated. those idiots are just looking for the young women and men treat women my age as ancient. No wonder the younger people treat people my age so poorly. I can't believe our society is so down on people my age.

#19 aquapit

aquapit

~Beauty is all around~

• 1,394 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 10:25 PM

I'll be 29 in October... (dang, I had to ask my husband if I was going to be 28 or 29 next month... pretty sad hu?!) I'm thinking that maybe I have a fear of getting old because some how to me getting old, or older means growing up and I don't ever want to grow up!!!!!!!! Can't I just be 23 forever?! I'll even go for 18... old enough to drive and live on my own... I don't much care about the drinking part... any how, I always thought it was SOOOOO much "cooler" to be able to drink when I wasn't of legal drinking age! Ok... I'll shut up now and take my foot out of my mouth... so yeah, I'll be 29 in October... 30 is waving to me just down the road.

Broken hearted,
Tracy

#20 Alysure

Alysure

Specialized Catastrophe

• 950 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 11:06 PM

Yeah, age is definitely considered a negative thing in our culture.

Which is very sad... because it's like people write off half of their lives. The important part, the part where you know what's going on and what to expect.

Age is very unimportant in my eyes. Old people will always retain some youth and many young people have a certain wisdom that only comes with age. As far as I'm concerned, age is simple a number we attach to ourselves that really has no meaning. smile.gif

#21 Guest_Malt123_*

Guest_Malt123_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2004 - 11:16 PM

Turning 30 was the hardest for me. I wouldn't have a problem with my age now except that I am finding "some" younger people going out of thier way to try to confuse me. But if I get confused it's because I am baffled about why they would put so much time into such stupid things. I have been through a lot like a lot of other people have. dance.gif

#22 Guest_queenie_*

Guest_queenie_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2004 - 11:19 PM

Who cares what people think! You know you are not old!! I mean if you are happy with how you are then tell them how it is!!! Who cares what those men are looking for! I don't think 30 is ancient.!!! In fact I'm 21, the only two people I've made friends with in my area are older then me, one is 31 and the other is 52. I absoultely would never treat them poorly...I think they are great wonderful friends and I love them dearly!!! I think its a little sterotypical to say young people, because I am assuming I'm in that category and I would never disrepect or discriminate against a person because of age.

My mom is the same way and she is only 51. I think my mom is absoultely beautiful....but she just doesn't believe it.! I don't understand...maybe because I'm ignornat to it because I don't see the point in the worry, but I don't see the big deal in being 30, 40, 50, 100. My sister is 30 and her and I are inseparable. I have more older friends then friends my age. I just want to enjoy life no matter what age I am. I don't think people should worry about what others think....I think it is all in how your attitude is about yourself. I think if somebody is treating you poorly...if you thought it was b/c of your age...I'd tell them where to stick it! But I'm pretty awnry person.! tongue.gif

I just think we should appreciate each other based on who we are as people, not anything more. Please don't think that all "young people" see or treat what some may consider as "older people" in a negative way because that's just not true. I guess I'm just one of those people that think age is just a number, not anything more. I don't think wisdom comes with age, I think it comes from experience. But life could always prove me wrong. hug.gif

Edited by queenie, 23 September 2004 - 11:24 PM.

#23 Guest_Malt123_*

Guest_Malt123_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2004 - 11:32 PM

I'm not 30 I'm 51 and it doesn't bother me except when I need to get a job. unfortunately I let my sef go and have arthritis and age is showing up more with a dragon's fire

#24 Guest_queenie_*

Guest_queenie_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2004 - 11:55 PM

Sorry I know this is a little off topic....I have Lupus, which is an immune definency disease...I have arthritic pains too. (its a symptom of lupus....actually at any point, given if I don't take care of myself, my bones can break...and I can be crippled) I have a pretty good idea how painful it can be. I can relate to how sometimes you feel people treat you poorly. When I first found out about my lupus I was a junior in high school and I lost a lot of friends. Later on when I was at work, somebody I actually went to high school with told a coworker, and if he walked by me and accidently touched my, or my suit, he would scream that he was infected. He would scream at me not to touch him, or the pens that he "might write with"...but its his problem not mine. Anyhow You can tell me you 10,000 years old and I don't think it makes a difference. I think people here are very accepting of everybody here. I hope you don't ever feel that disrepect from anybody here, and if you ever feel that you are (at least from me) I want ya to call me out on it! B/c that's not ever going to be my personal intention. I'm really glad you have come to AS and I truly hope you find the support you are looking for here and the happiness you deserve. Welcome to the family. hug.gif

#25 Guest_Malt123_*

Guest_Malt123_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2004 - 12:02 AM

I had a major accident when I was 23 when I finally started walking again one year later some one asked why I limped up to that point I had no idea that I limped. now I have people quesationing my ability to do a job that I have been doing for 24 years. go figure

#26 Guest_butterfly_*

Guest_butterfly_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2004 - 07:25 AM

I'm 38. I am so glad to see that there are others over 30....I wasn't sure.

Butterfly thumbsup.gif

#27 Vera

Vera

She's been gone, have you seen her?

• Administrator
  • 7,339 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 12:54 AM

QUOTE(aquapit @ Sep 23 2004, 08:25 PM)
dang, I had to ask my husband if I was going to be 28 or 29 next month... pretty sad hu?!

Tracy that happened to me too...two years ago I had to ask my mother which age I was because I couldn't remember if it was 24 or 25.....man that was so weird blink.gif and it made me sad too because it's when it hit me how I developed a serious problems with dates and times after my rape. I often get confused and I think it is strictly related to my story....somehow I must have felt (and still do) that I have lost a year...

Btw 'm turning 27 sooooon and it makes me so freaking depressed...... mad.gif tongue.gif

#28 baillie

baillie

Afraid of shadows

• 102 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 08:34 PM

I turned 42 on the 22 of this month...Guess I'm one of the "old" ones here. blush.gif Sometimes I feel every bit of my 42 years, and other times I go back to my childhood, which I missed out on and wish I could relive it and be a "kid" again.

Edited by baillie, 25 September 2004 - 09:24 PM.

#29 betty

betty

spero melior

• 891 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 03:49 AM

i'm 24 smile.gif

#30 Ardatha

Ardatha

Ardatha's Shadow Monster

• 2,781 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 12:38 PM

Actually, I'm 18 with 33 years experience!!! ;) I guess I should be pretty good at being 18 now, huh?