Welcome to After Silence - A message board and chat room for rape, sexual assault, and sexual abuse survivors.

Welcome to After Silence, a message board and chat room designed to help survivors communicate in the recovery of rape, sexual abuse, sexual assault, and all types of sexual violence.

After Silence has over 30 different forums, ranging from topics created to discuss specific areas of healing and recovery from rape and sexual violence, as well as forums open to general discussions and lighter topics. Because we value the privacy of our members, most of our forums are private, which means that ONLY REGISTERED members have access to them. Please register for a free account to gain full access to the After Silence Online Support Group.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us at aftersilence.org@gmail.com
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Share Your Truth?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 teazle

teazle

without darkness, we wouldn't see the moon

• 8,914 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 05:57 PM

Hi

Just thought I'd make a suggestion about the title of the 'share your story' forum, please feel free to disregard if not sensible or appropriate.

I was wondering if maybe it might be better for it to read 'share your truth' or something like that....sometimes 'story' could feel like you're telling a tale, not really owning it or its like a fairy story or something.

sorry if I make no sense, I hope you can work out what I mean from this jumble of thoughts.

thanks for reading
teazle

#2 AmyLyn

AmyLyn

free at last

• Banned
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 04:30 PM

I totally get that...I feel the same way..it does make since...I guess we wait and see what the admins think..?

#3 Vera

Vera

She's been gone, have you seen her?

• Administrator
  • 7,337 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 05:27 PM

Hey Teazle,

You brought up a very interesting point. I actually do like "share your truth" more than "share your story." However, one thing we always try to achieve when naming a forum is clarity. We often move posts located in wrong forums and "share your truth", while more effective, is also more confusing because it may include all kind of topics. Given that most people don't actually read the description of the forums, "share your story" is less likely to be confused with a forum for aftermath, venting, or psychological issues... because the title is pretty self explanatory. tealribbon.gif

#4 Haullie

Haullie

Resurrecting my soul...

• 4,753 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:10 AM

I like "Share Your Story" because telling is like a HUGE milestone in your healing and telling your story shoudl be something you honor for yourself as a way of beginning your healing process. Sharing your truth can mean anything and that is what the other forum catagories are for, plus it's amazing to obtain so much information in various areas of our recovery and it keeps us focussed.

#5 AmyLyn

AmyLyn

free at last

• Banned
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:08 AM

QUOTE(Haullie @ Apr 12 2007, 05:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like "Share Your Story" because telling is like a HUGE milestone in your healing and telling your story shoudl be something you honor for yourself as a way of beginning your healing process. Sharing your truth can mean anything and that is what the other forum catagories are for, plus it's amazing to obtain so much information in various areas of our recovery and it keeps us focussed.

That's a good point...Share your truth is kind of too general...The only reason I don't like Share Your Story is because I'm just talking about my life...I don't really like calling it a story...but that's my problem. I can see why it's called that just so everyone knows what exactly goes where. tealribbon.gif