Welcome to After Silence - A message board and chat room for rape, sexual assault, and sexual abuse survivors.

Welcome to After Silence, a message board and chat room designed to help survivors communicate in the recovery of rape, sexual abuse, sexual assault, and all types of sexual violence.

After Silence has over 30 different forums, ranging from topics created to discuss specific areas of healing and recovery from rape and sexual violence, as well as forums open to general discussions and lighter topics. Because we value the privacy of our members, most of our forums are private, which means that ONLY REGISTERED members have access to them. Please register for a free account to gain full access to the After Silence Online Support Group.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us at aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Essex 1- Me 0, Time To Change That Score. Good, Funny

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#46 Survivors sanctuary

Survivors sanctuary

We were beset by conflicts without and by fears within

• Contributing Member
  • 8,273 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 04:27 PM

I wanted to start posting on this thread again, It's been a sad day for us because my Aunt died, but it brought up some wonderful memories of this time as she lived near us in Essex, so in her memory I wanted to try and do a memory a day again for a little while ..

Please feel free to add your own memoires if you want to ..

So, a simple one to start, at my Aunt's house we were playing tennis, only we hadn't got a tennis ball so we decided to use a small stone instead, one of us, not sure who! Put the stone through the sitting room window and it hit with enough force that it didn't shatter the pane of glass but put a small perfectly neat round hole in the glass .. It looked like a bullet hole! We did get a telling off for that one ..

smile.gif

#47 Survivors sanctuary

Survivors sanctuary

• Contributing Member
  • 8,273 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 05:32 PM

Memory for today:

Dogs, we had two dogs, Pluto and Patch and we also would look after another dog at times, now that dog was not called Crackers without good reason ... We used to put the dogs in the kitchen when we went out, Crackers always seemed to manage to escape from the kitchen! Not only that he almost always managed to jump up at the front door and knock the catch on the door lock so we couldn't open it from the outside, so me being the smallest used to have to shimmy in through the small kitchen window (that we could unlatch from the outside) .. And Pluto would always think somebody was breaking in and miss biting me by inches!

No wonder we never got burgled!

laugh.gif

#48 Survivors sanctuary

Survivors sanctuary

• Contributing Member
  • 8,273 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 04:03 PM

A memory today involves dogs again ..

In fact two of the dogs mentioned above ..

Patch was younger than Pluto .. And Pluto would often lead them out into the big wide world then abandon Patch!

One such day my Father was doing his usual walk round the fields to see if he could track Patch down .. Only to realize the field contained not just cows but one very hissed off bull who promptly charged my Father ... My Dad just managed to get too and vault the field gate in time! He was rather white by the time he got home and of course we all just laughed! smile.gif

hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif

#49 melissa

melissa

Let the butterflies roam free...

• 1,347 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 04:18 PM

wow...this is a great thread!

Okay, so a positive memory (my abuse happened in a school, so for this to work, I guess it's got to be a positive memory from school):

Once we took a field trip to my favorite (at the time) teacher's house. We shot bottle rockets in his back yard ALL day. He let his dogs out to play, and we hung out there all day. At the time, it was the most awesome thing, and I talked about it for weeks.

Melissa

#50 Survivors sanctuary

Survivors sanctuary

• Contributing Member
  • 8,273 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 03:07 PM

Melissa. that sounds amazing .. Thanks for sharing ..

So, my thought for today ..

My sister and I swimming at some friends house (who were lucky enough to have their own pool), the guy there used to practise chipping golf balls across the pool and we would go and dive to retrieve any that missed the other side ...

We learnt to dive properly there as well thanks to somebody else my parents knew who had been a county champion swimmer ...

Loved swimming then and still love it now ..

I will be away for a few days, but hope to pick this thread up again on Friday ..

hug.gif hug.gif

#51 Guest_crazybeautiful_*

Guest_crazybeautiful_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2007 - 04:23 AM

Great thread! Nice to focus on a positive memory.

-It was new year's eve. My dad turns to me and hands out this stick...that was the first time i was allowed to play with firecrackers. It was the happiest night of my life i think.

-Also, the first time i saw fireworks light up the sky. It was a truly magical moment for me.
Minutes earlier i had just been fighting with my bro, my dad was shouting instructions as usual, mum was panicking...then come the sudden burts of color in the evening sky...and everyone falls silent and just watches the fireworks display. It was an awesome experience for me to have the whole family shut up and be one in those rare moments of silence.
Now when i see fireworks it brings me back to those days when i still had simple pleasures.

#52 Survivors sanctuary

Survivors sanctuary

• Contributing Member
  • 8,273 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 06:33 AM

Nice to focus on a positive memory.
Glad you like the idea .. hug.gif

One memory from my childhood .. I know that in the US you have different words for some things, so have put the US word in brackets ...

In the 70's we had a car that could only be described as a brick on wheels, an Austin Allegro! Now in the UK at that time Austin cars were fairly dire!

Anyway, on a pretty regualr basis if you slammed the boot (trunk) lid shut the front door would fly open! It's true and if video cameras were around then we could have made money selling that clip to one of these TV programmes!

hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif

Edited by Survivors sanctuary, 15 November 2007 - 06:33 AM.

#53 Survivors sanctuary

Survivors sanctuary

• Contributing Member
  • 8,273 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 06:05 AM

Learning to ride a bike and remembering having the stablizers finally removed by my Father ..

hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif

#54 Survivors sanctuary

Survivors sanctuary

• Contributing Member
  • 8,273 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 06:20 AM

Walking down a path to go to a friends house and the spiders webs in the bramble bushes shining like diamonds in the moring dew ...

#55 Survivors sanctuary

Survivors sanctuary

• Contributing Member
  • 8,273 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 06:18 AM

Maybe for Christmas, some nice positive Christmas stories, I know a lot of people find Christmas hard because of their past and I hope that they can join in some happy memories ..

So, I think I will go with presents ...

Monopoly .. Used to love playing that and enjoyed gettting the game when I was younger .. I don't play now, but moved on to Scrabble ..

#56 dodo

dodo

before the end

• Contributing Member
  • 17,378 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 07:11 AM

I have never read this thread before!! Where was I when this one was going??

I have a xmas memory - not sure of the year - but it was when we had a really bad winter - even in the south east! It ight have been 1973 or so - I was about 11/12 and I opened the front door early one morning to find a wall of snow - the whole door way was full!! Luckily it didn't all just fall on me - I would have been buried! - I remember pushing my way through it and stepping out into this world transformed - everything was buried in about 3 foot of snow - it was magical.

Karen

#57 Survivors sanctuary

Survivors sanctuary

• Contributing Member
  • 8,273 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 05:21 AM

A Christmas memory ..

Candle lit church services and carols .. smile.gif

Edited by Survivors sanctuary, 27 December 2007 - 05:21 AM.

#58 Survivors sanctuary

Survivors sanctuary

• Contributing Member
  • 8,273 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 04:59 AM

SNOWBALL FIGHTS! Oh yes!

#59 Survivors sanctuary

Survivors sanctuary

• Contributing Member
  • 8,273 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 05:11 AM

Watching the winter storms throwing the waves up against the sea walls, was fairly amazing stuff ..

#60 nomoretears

nomoretears
  • 141 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:20 PM

I just found this thread and it seems like a lot of fun. Let's see, good childhood memories... my sister and I had these two really good friends and we used to play together all the time. Okay, I'm actually embarrassed to admit this, but we used to play "Home Improvement"...you know, like the TV show. I was Jill, my one friend was Tim, our sisters were the kids (I can't remember their name's anymore lol) and our friends mom was Al. LOL!!! Wow...I loved playing that hehe.