Welcome to After Silence - A message board and chat room for rape, sexual assault, and sexual abuse survivors.

Welcome to After Silence, a message board and chat room designed to help survivors communicate in the recovery of rape, sexual abuse, sexual assault, and all types of sexual violence.

After Silence has over 30 different forums, ranging from topics created to discuss specific areas of healing and recovery from rape and sexual violence, as well as forums open to general discussions and lighter topics. Because we value the privacy of our members, most of our forums are private, which means that ONLY REGISTERED members have access to them. Please register for a free account to gain full access to the After Silence Online Support Group.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us at aftersilence.org@gmail.com
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Essex 1- Me 0, Time To Change That Score. Good, Funny

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#16 Rune Tune

Rune Tune
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:23 PM

I wondered what to add, and decided on this one for today.

Cowboys and Indians - And because we were fortunate enough to have some ponies, we could play it for "real".

Even better was we had a coloured pony - Who was mine! Downside..... The Indians always lost, and because it was my pony I always got made The Indian!

And all I ever wanted was to be the cowboy!

Still, it was great fun!

tongue.gif

Edited by Rune Tune, 08 February 2007 - 01:23 PM.

#17 Rune Tune

Rune Tune
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 02:58 PM

Just wanted to let you know, IHMIT and myself haven't neglected this thread, but we had a little family emergency that has meant we haven't really been online - and when we've had time, it was only enough to go through emails etc and not post anywhere.

We hope normal service will be resumed in the next couple of days.

#18 Survivors sanctuary

Survivors sanctuary

We were beset by conflicts without and by fears within

• Contributing Member
  • 8,273 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 04:31 PM

My next memory involved the coastline again ...

Living on the East coast meant there were a lot of old world war two defensive bunker installations, one of which was situated on the farm where we went for bonfire night .. The centre section had collapsed a bit and we had been banned from going and playing there because of the risk of cave ins .. But of course we ignored that and went and played there anyway, many happy hours playing war games making our way through the circular corridor that led to the central part and to the slits in the front part that would have housed defensive guns all those years ago, we used branches and sticks as our pretend weapons ..

Amazing we didn't kill ourselves there really! Looking back I can see how dangerous the place was, our poor parents must have despaired at times .. laugh.gif

Edited by Ihavemadeit, 24 February 2007 - 11:30 AM.

#19 teazle

teazle

without darkness, we wouldn't see the moon

• 8,914 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 05:07 PM

I remember being on a beach, and chasing waves with my dad. Back and forth we went, in and out, until i was running backwards and tripped over a rock or something. The waves swept over me and when they went away again, I was soaking wet and about ready to cry.

But then my daddy was there, my big strong daddy, and he scooped me up in his arms, even though i was dripping, and hugged me and danced with me. It didn't matter to him, and so it didn't matter to me any more. We laughed and laughed, that day at the beach.

Thats how I'll always remember him. Dancing and laughing.

teazle

#20 Survivors sanctuary

Survivors sanctuary

• Contributing Member
  • 8,273 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 05:17 PM

(((((teazle))))) Thats a lovely memory ... hug.gif

My thought for today ..

Well, I guess it will be ..

Being taken fishing by our Father and a friend, only it was net fishing in a local estuary, they would set up a net at low tide then go and see what had been caught after the tide had been in, they would mostly be after crabs and I can remember taking a big yellow builders bucket back home to our Mother filled with crabs ... We didn't go often, the mud flats were a dangerous place, but we had fun when we did go ..

Happy thoughts everybody .. hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif

#21 Survivors sanctuary

Survivors sanctuary

• Contributing Member
  • 8,273 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 04:42 PM

My thought for today ..

Our parents reading us bedtime stories, especially our Father reading us The Hobbit, when he finished the book we would badger him to start back at the beginning ... Still love fantasy and sci-fi now as a result of that ... If I feel low, I can read that book like a child all over again ..

hug.gif hug.gif

#22 Survivors sanctuary

Survivors sanctuary

• Contributing Member
  • 8,273 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 05:47 PM

My thought for today ..

Another one involving my Father, he used to play Rugby, and was quite good, anyway, I am not sure how old I was (Around 6?) but we were watching him play one day when he was tackled on the opposite sideline, the result was he hurt his knee, at which point I CHARGED onto the pitch shouting "DON'T YOU HURT MY DADDY!"

I think it was the line judge who then had to tackle ME! Quite what a young girl of that age thought she was going to do against 6 foot of pure Rugby muscle is beyond me, but I remember I was furious that my Father had been hurt. I can also remember struggling against the guy who stopped me for quite soon time! Poor man must have wondered what the hell was going on! I suspect he ended up with a few bruises on his shins from my kicking!

It took several people to calm me down, I can remember replying at one point that "I don't care if it is part of the game, he hurt my Daddy". Even now my family can all remember (And still laugh about) the incident!

Recalling that still puts a smile on my face! smile.gif

hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif

#23 Ardatha

Ardatha

Ardatha's Shadow Monster

• 2,781 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 11:12 PM

When I was about 10 years old, my father went to the store with my grandparents, leaving my mother and me with my brothers. We were listening to the phonograph, which was a 'portable' one in those days, and much bigger than a boombox. It was sitting on the floor in front of where I was sitting on the couch. I heard a tapping on the window and looked out to see a Frankenstein face staring through the window at me. I screamed, jumped over the phonograph and headed down the hall, right behind my mother who had been galvanized to action by my scream. For some reason both of us were heading for the bathroom, and trying to get through the door at the same time!

My father came through the front door, laughing hysterically at us trying to get through the door together, holding a rubber Frankenstein mask in his hand!!! He had decided it would be fun to play a joke on us, but we weren't laughing at all!!! Both my mother and I were so pissed at him! Years later, it is funny, but at the time, I nearly died of fright. And the record didn't even skip a beat when I jumped over the phonograph, which meant I cleared it with my leap!!! Amazing what fear will do for you!!!

The next day my father put on a Yogi Bear mask and rode my brother's 'Stingray' bicycle around in the street, looking just like the bike riding bears you see in the circus. He had us all in stitches. While all his practical jokes weren't always funny, sometimes he could be hilarious. smile.gif

hug.gif

Meg

outahere.gif

PS - I do like this thread. It's so much fun to read and participate in! hug.gif

Edited by Ardatha, 17 February 2007 - 11:13 PM.

#24 Survivors sanctuary

Survivors sanctuary

• Contributing Member
  • 8,273 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 04:36 PM

I screamed, jumped over the phonograph and headed down the hall, right behind my mother who had been galvanized to action by my scream. For some reason both of us were heading for the bathroom, and trying to get through the door at the same time!
laugh.gif

I love this story, thanks for sharing Meg ..

And I have to say I'm glad you have enjoyed it so much, I've been having fun recalling things as well .. Scary how some memories have been similar though, all I can say is thank God a continent separated you and your friends and us and our friends, I fear we would have not left the planet intact if we had ever managed to get together ..

So, my story for today ..

Well, it has to do with my first love, horses, well my second pony to be exact, we went to see this pony and he was fairly wild, but something clicked .. I can remember my Mother trying to talk me out of wanting him after I had taken him for a ride, but I was in love with him, he turned out to be the best EVER! After only a couple of years everybody wanted to ride him.

I look at the photos we have from those times and I can still feel my heart fill with the love that I felt that first day! If God wanted me to have wings he provided them in that little New Forest pony ... He turned into an angel that I have never managed to come across since ..

hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif

#25 Ardatha

Ardatha

Ardatha's Shadow Monster

• 2,781 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 05:12 PM

LOL My first love was horses, too!

In fact I think my earliest memory is of being on my aunt's horse. I know I was less than a year and a half old because that's when we moved to Alaska. This would have been before then as my aunt lived in California, where I was born and lived the first year and a half of my life. I was sitting in the saddle, with my father beside the horse, holding onto me in case I should fall. I was both thrilled and terrified. Although I was terrified of being up so high, I was delighted to be sitting on a horse. Evidently, I have truly loved them "all of my life." LOL Maybe someday I'll post a memory about my favorite horse. He was my 'wings.' And an angel, to boot. I still miss him and it's been over 20 years. (sigh)

hug.gif

Meg

outahere.gif

Edited by Ardatha, 18 February 2007 - 05:14 PM.

#26 Survivors sanctuary

Survivors sanctuary

• Contributing Member
  • 8,273 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 06:56 PM

Maybe someday I'll post a memory about my favorite horse. He was my 'wings.' And an angel, to boot. I still miss him and it's been over 20 years.
Know exactly what you mean, exactly ... hug.gif

So, my thought for today ..

Well, I think it will be that British tradition of Fish and Chips ..

We used to go shopping on a Saturday, often ending up at Burnham On Crouch, there were several small fishing trawlers that went out from there and often we would wait for them to return with their catch, then watch as they brought whatever they had caught over the road from the small quayside to the Fish and Chip shop opposite and then have Fish and Chips, of course you never really knew what the fish was going to be until then, it would depend on the catch ..

I loved Fish and Chips, that's how Fish and Chips should be, unfortunately you don't get too many good places .. Even now .. That's the trouble, if it's bad, its bloody awful, but if it's good, then it is the stuff memories are made of .. smile.gif

hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif

#27 Catherine

Catherine

Clarity Seeker

• 731 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 07:39 PM

thanx.gif for this topic.

I was around 4 or 5, My grandmother was living with us, as she was not well. In the big bedroom, there was 2 double beds, my mum and I slept in one, and my aunt and grandmother slept in the other. Every night my aunt would make semolina for my grandmother as she was not eating much.
My gran could never finish it, so she would say, here you are little one, you have it, but dont tell Aunty Jane. We used to giggle and have cuddles, it was lovely, I looked forward to going to bed, as I knew My Nain( welsh for grandmother ) and I would have cuddles and share her pudding.

#28 Survivors sanctuary

Survivors sanctuary

• Contributing Member
  • 8,273 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 05:06 PM

(((Catherine)))

My thought for today ..

A simple one really, watching a calf being born for the first time, the new life with all it's innocence ..

hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif

#29 Survivors sanctuary

Survivors sanctuary

• Contributing Member
  • 8,273 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 07:07 PM

So, the thought for today ...

Another short one really, similar to yesterdays ..

My sister was at home with the measles, I came back from school on my own and got back just in time to see the cat have her last kitten .. My sister had been lucky enough to see all of them being born, but again, a special moment ..

Although I don't think the bottom of my parents wardrobe was ever quite the same again .. Well, the cat wanted a dark place to give birth and that was nice and cosy thank you very much ... laugh.gif

#30 Survivors sanctuary

Survivors sanctuary

• Contributing Member
  • 8,273 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 05:30 PM

Today's thought takes place at another farm, another set of friends ..

We would pair off and attack/defend two 'forts' that were either side of the rick yard (rick yard is a yard that runs along the hay barns, normally at the rear of the main buildings, at least that's what it is in Shropshire.) Anyway, we had to try and take the opposite fort ... And the forts were the two muck spreaders, and the ammo we used was, yep, you've guessed it, the lumps of muck off said muck spreaders .. GREAT! We got quite accurate quite quickly as well ..
One result of all that practice throwing things was the four of us made a formidable snowball fighting team!

smile.gif

hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif