Welcome to After Silence - A message board and chat room for rape, sexual assault, and sexual abuse survivors.

Welcome to After Silence, a message board and chat room designed to help survivors communicate in the recovery of rape, sexual abuse, sexual assault, and all types of sexual violence.

After Silence has over 30 different forums, ranging from topics created to discuss specific areas of healing and recovery from rape and sexual violence, as well as forums open to general discussions and lighter topics. Because we value the privacy of our members, most of our forums are private, which means that ONLY REGISTERED members have access to them. Please register for a free account to gain full access to the After Silence Online Support Group.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us at aftersilence.org@gmail.com
Guest Message by DevFuse

Need A Support Group

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_qtchickaj_*

Guest_qtchickaj_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2004 - 12:25 PM

I am a survivor from the South Shore of Massachusetts whose child was also recently abused. I have been unsuccesful at locating a support group or counseling for my child or myself. The last two therapists I had for my daughter quit, and the legal system is yet to press charges against the accused. I am fed up with societies reluctance in this day and age to confront, acknolwedge and stop abuse of woman and children and I am looking for a way to channel some of my anger into something more useful than selfpity. I am tired of feeling alone and tired of anyone who finds out about my history walking away because it's easier than acknowledging the truth. I am interested in starting a support group in the south shore of Mass or I am looking for advice on how to do so.
Thank you,
AJ

#2 Alysure

Alysure

Specialized Catastrophe

• 950 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 12:48 PM

I'm really sorry to hear this hon :/

I think this place can be a good way to start for yourself. It's a very supportive environment. I wish I could offer you some more advice.

I'd try searching google.com and see what you can come up with for your area. I hope you find some good support for yourself and your child. I hate the way society deals with this problem, or well, doesn't deal with it. It's a huge developing problem and no one wants to listen to it or try to find solutions and that is so wrong.

Take care of yourself. Good luck <3

#3 betty

betty

spero melior

• 891 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 12:49 PM

(AJ) hug.gif
welcome to AS!
i'm so sorry for all the pain you and you child have experienced hug.gif
everyone here is really great and supportive and i hope you find what you need here!

emmax

Edited by betty, 18 July 2004 - 12:49 PM.

#4 cervantes

cervantes

ATLAS

• 503 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 01:09 PM

Hi AJ Welcome to AS, I also am in the same area and I have yet to hear of any such thing as far as support groups in the area as I also have searched.. and I think there should be.. I think they should be everywhere! I would love to get involved in such a thing, if it were to be allowed as I unfortanately am a male sad.gif

#5 nickster

nickster
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 01:27 PM

((((aj)))) welcome

#6 Ardatha

Ardatha

Ardatha's Shadow Monster

• 2,781 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 02:13 PM

Welcome, AJ!!!

Wow, I'm extremely sorry to hear about you and your daughter. How old is she? I am not in your area so don't have any suggestions as to how to find a support group there. If there are none and you want to start one, maybe talk to your closest rape/survivor crisis unit? Or call RAINN - they might have some suggestions about starting one. If no rape/survivor center, then talk to some of the people in mental health in your area? Hopefully you'll be able to find someone who can advise you on the best way to go.

hug.gif

Ardatha

PS - To Tim: Hon, your gender shouldn't figure into this. You are a survivor, just like the rest of us and it isn't limited to gener, age, or religion as far as I know. Unfortunately, I realize real life doesn't always line itself up with our expectations and ideals. Sad. mad.gif

#7 Sookie

Sookie

caRISSa

• 699 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 12:45 AM

Welcome,i hope u find wot u need?!?!?

hug.gif & wub.gif
Sookie xoxox

#8 aquapit

aquapit

~Beauty is all around~

• 1,394 posts