Welcome to After Silence - A message board and chat room for rape, sexual assault, and sexual abuse survivors.

Welcome to After Silence, a message board and chat room designed to help survivors communicate in the recovery of rape, sexual abuse, sexual assault, and all types of sexual violence.

After Silence has over 30 different forums, ranging from topics created to discuss specific areas of healing and recovery from rape and sexual violence, as well as forums open to general discussions and lighter topics. Because we value the privacy of our members, most of our forums are private, which means that ONLY REGISTERED members have access to them. Please register for a free account to gain full access to the After Silence Online Support Group.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us at aftersilence.org@gmail.com
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Logging In Privacy

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 whitedove

whitedove
  • Contributing Member
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 07:13 AM

Hi there,

I have just noticed that when you log in, it stays signed in as my name until I press the log out button. I generally do not log out. Is there anyway to say that you have to log in each time you visit the site - I share a computer and think this would be safer. I have seen other boards say login temporily. Other people may not realise this issue and it may cause problems regarding privacy issues.

Thanks.
Whitedove.

#2 foxy

foxy
  • 603 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 07:29 AM

QUOTE(whitedove @ Nov 29 2006, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi there,

I have just noticed that when you log in, it stays signed in as my name until I press the log out button. I generally do not log out. Is there anyway to say that you have to log in each time you visit the site - I share a computer and think this would be safer. I have seen other boards say login temporily. Other people may not realise this issue and it may cause problems regarding privacy issues.

It's back to the cookie jar... when you login you are given a cookie. The cookie is like a secret flag that allows you to browse from page to page... each page checks that you have the flag and then when your browser waves ot it allows the page to be displayed. These cookies bahave in a variety of ways... sometimes they have a short life, sometimes they don't die (yes, sometimes cookies never get eaten), sometimes they get scrambled and the flag waving bit doesn't work.

Back to your question... you want your browser to realise that you have walked away from the computer and to prompt for a username and password again. Hmmm. I'll have a peek at the login options in a moment. Sometimes you can set your own expiry time on a cookie eg. 30 minutes. Sometimes the expiry time needs to be set at the server end.... but cookies expiring on people left right and centre would cause problems. I'll tell you what I do though...

I use Firefox as my AS browser. That browser allows you to set privacy options to automatically delete all cookies, history and saved passwords every time you close the window or exit the application. If you walk away and leave it it will not answer your question but it's easy to be confident that the necessary bits are removed each time. Great if you need to make the occassional swift exit. Internet Explorer can delete them but it's a manual process and ... oops, I forgot to do it and got caught. I'll never fall for that one again.

I'm waffling and probably talking gobbledegook. I'm sure one of the admins will jump in with a better answer.

Edited by foxy, 29 November 2006 - 07:32 AM.

#3 Lindy

Lindy

Running Princess

• Administrator
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 09:59 AM

When logging in, check the 'remember me' box off and next time you come to the board, it will prompt you to log in.

#4 foxy

foxy
  • 603 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:15 AM

Ah, I've had some sugar and have reread your message... as Lindy said, yes the remember me checkbox. A session that would expire if left idle too long would be a useful feature (that's what I thought you meant on first reading). Does the system allow you to set an idle time on the session?

Edited by foxy, 29 November 2006 - 10:24 AM.

#5 dodo

dodo

before the end

• Newbie Support Team
  • 17,378 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:31 AM

you mean sometimes ... cookies ... just ... die???

karen

Edited by dodo, 29 November 2006 - 10:32 AM.

#6 foxy

foxy
  • 603 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE(dodo) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you mean sometimes ... cookies ... just ... die???

LOL karen... you're right... there should have been a

WARNING
This post contains information which the nibblers amongst us may find upsetting...

Edited by foxy, 29 November 2006 - 01:37 PM.

#7 whitedove

whitedove
  • Contributing Member
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 06:58 PM

Hi there,

Thanks for this - the remember me box does not appear everywhere where you logon so I did not see it.

Whitedove

#8 Donna

Donna

Liver Schmiver

• Contributing Member
  • 9,726 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 11:31 PM

At the top of the page below the AS banner it says 'Welcome Guest', under that it says log in, click that and as you type your name and pw to the right just a bit there is a box that says 'Remember me', don't click it and make sure it is not clicked.

In the area directly above the forums is considered a fast log in, if you click that then it will show up as you have mentioned.

Does that help more?

#9 Kalonice

Kalonice

I'm finally Daddy's Little Girl

• 857 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 09:14 AM

I have been wondering for a while if there was a way to change the default to NOT "remember me." I log on from school quite often, and sometimes it's hard to remember to click that log in button instead of using the quick form.

#10 foxy

foxy
  • 603 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 09:20 AM

Well, if you use Firefox and configure it to delete cookies automatically on exit then it will not remember you.