Welcome to After Silence - A message board and chat room for rape, sexual assault, and sexual abuse survivors.

Welcome to After Silence, a message board and chat room designed to help survivors communicate in the recovery of rape, sexual abuse, sexual assault, and all types of sexual violence.

After Silence has over 30 different forums, ranging from topics created to discuss specific areas of healing and recovery from rape and sexual violence, as well as forums open to general discussions and lighter topics. Because we value the privacy of our members, most of our forums are private, which means that ONLY REGISTERED members have access to them. Please register for a free account to gain full access to the After Silence Online Support Group.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us at aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The Healing Quotes Thread!

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 Haullie

Haullie

Resurrecting my soul...

• 4,753 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 02:08 PM

Post your favorite healing quotes smile.gif

"Turn your wounds into wisdom!" -Oprah Winfrey

#2 Haullie

Haullie

Resurrecting my soul...

• 4,753 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 03:02 PM

"People are hardest on themselves. Vicious. Mad. To feel compassion for others, you have to feel compassion for yourself - somehow."

-Tori Amos

#3 Donna

Donna

Liver Schmiver

• Contributing Member
  • 9,726 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 03:23 PM

I love quotes & spend alot of time looking for them. wub.gif

"The roads are different, but the goal is one. When people reach the goal, all those who yelled at each other along the road, “You are wrong!” or “You are a blasphemer!” forget all possible differences. There, all hearts sing in unison."
~ Rumi

#4 Guest_-Jennifer-_*

Guest_-Jennifer-_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2005 - 05:57 PM

This one is really important to me. It made me cry!

"When you stop putting yourself on the line, and you don't touch your own heart, how do you expect to touch other people." -Tori Amos

#5 Haullie

Haullie

Resurrecting my soul...

• 4,753 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 06:10 PM

One isn't necessarily born with courage, but one is born with potential. Without courage, we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can't be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest. -Maya Angelou

#6 Guest_-Jennifer-_*

Guest_-Jennifer-_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2005 - 07:14 PM

" Some people are afraid of what they might find if they try to analyze themselves too much, but you have to crawl into your wounds to discover where your fears are. Once the bleeding starts, the cleansing can begin." -Tori Amos

#7 teazle

teazle
  • 8,914 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 08:38 PM

People are like stained-glass windows.
They sparkle and shine when the sun is out,
but when the darkness sets in,
their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.

Elizabeth Kubler-Ross

"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us."

Anon

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."
Robert Frost

Edited by teazle, 13 December 2005 - 08:38 PM.

#8 Haullie

Haullie

Resurrecting my soul...

• 4,753 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 01:31 PM

"I sometimes think we expect too much of Christmas Day. We try to crowd into it the long arrears of kindliness and humanity of the whole year. As for me, I like to take my Christmas a little at a time, all through the year. And thus I drift along into the holidays--let them overtake me unexpectedly--waking up some fine morning and suddenly saying to myself: 'Why this is Christmas Day!' "

~ Ray Stannard Baker, pseud. David Grayson (1870-1946), American author, journalist.

#9 Donna

Donna

Liver Schmiver

• Contributing Member
  • 9,726 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 08:46 PM

“Come to the edge.”
“We can't. We're afraid.”
“Come to the edge.”
“We can't. We will fall!”
“Come to the edge.”
And they came.
And he pushed them.
And they flew."

~Guillaume Apollinaire

#10 -Nicole-

-Nicole-

Be Still

• Contributing Member
  • 5,474 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 08:51 PM

"The body says what words cannot" - Martha Graham

I love this quote, because I learned this year how much trauma the body can store and repress, just as our minds can. Martha Graham is also an amazing dancer and choreographer, so this quote has an amazing double meaning for me.

I am glad I ran into this quote, when looking for a good one to add to a customized LJ layout I was building for a friend wub.gif

#11 Guest_-Jennifer-_*

Guest_-Jennifer-_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2005 - 11:12 PM

It is never too late to become what you could have been." -George Elliot

#12 Guest_-Jennifer-_*

Guest_-Jennifer-_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2005 - 11:15 PM

This is my MOST favorite quote and for the longest time I did not know who the author was!:

"Come to the edge, he said. They said: We are afraid. Come to the edge, he said. They came. He pushed them and they flew."-Guillaume Apollinaire

It reminds me of my beautiful butterflies......when they were just catepillars.....*sigh* I miss them. They were such wonderful spirits.

#13 Donna

Donna

Liver Schmiver

• Contributing Member
  • 9,726 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 09:44 PM

You think you have mastered it, but just as you get well underway in following, it turns a back-somersault and there you are. It slaps you in the face, knocks you down, and tramples upon you. ~ Charlotte Perkins Gilman, "The Yellow Wallpaper"

#14 -Nicole-

-Nicole-

Be Still

• Contributing Member
  • 5,474 posts

Posted 25 December 2005 - 04:40 PM

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anais Nin

Edited by -Nicole-, 25 December 2005 - 04:40 PM.

#15 Haullie

Haullie

Resurrecting my soul...

• 4,753 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 03:51 PM

The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire.
~ Ferdinand Foch