Welcome to After Silence - A message board and chat room for rape, sexual assault, and sexual abuse survivors.

Welcome to After Silence, a message board and chat room designed to help survivors communicate in the recovery of rape, sexual abuse, sexual assault, and all types of sexual violence.

After Silence has over 30 different forums, ranging from topics created to discuss specific areas of healing and recovery from rape and sexual violence, as well as forums open to general discussions and lighter topics. Because we value the privacy of our members, most of our forums are private, which means that ONLY REGISTERED members have access to them. Please register for a free account to gain full access to the After Silence Online Support Group.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us at aftersilence.org@gmail.com
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Liberation Was There...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Vera

Vera

She's been gone, have you seen her?

• Administrator
  • 7,337 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 09:49 PM

This post is in reply to Dawn's struggle to free herself from the darkness. hug.gif

I find this story very inspiring, in fact, it inspired the title of my personal website.

From the book Healing The Shame That Binds You by John Bradshaw

A Parable:

The Prisoner In The Dark Cave

There once was a man who was sentenced to die. He was blindfolded and put in a pitch dark cave. The cave was 100 yards by 100 yards. He was told that there was a way out of the cave, and if he could find it, he was a free man.

After a rock was secured at the entrance of the cave, the prisoner was allowed to take his blindfold off and roam freely in the darkness. He was to be fed only bread and water for the first 30 days and nothing thereafter. The bread and water were lowered from a small hole in the roof at the south end of the cave. The ceiling was about 18 feet high. The opening was about one foot in diameter. The prisoner could see a faint light up above, but no light came into the cave.

As the prisoner roamed and crawled around the cave, he bumped into rocks. Some were rather large. He thought that if he could build a mound of rocks and dirt that was high enough, he could reach the opening and enlarge it enough to crawl through and escape. Since he was 5'9", and his reach was two feet, the mound had to be at least 10 feet high.

So the prisoner spent his waking hours picking up rocks and digging up dirt. At the end of two weeks, he had built a mound of about six feet. He thought that if he could duplicate that in the next two weeks, he could make it before his food ran out. But as he had already used most of the rocks in the cave, he had to dig harder and harder. He had to do the digging with his bare hands. After a month had passed, the mound was nine and half feet high and he could almost reach the opening if he jumped. He was almost exhausted and extremely weak.

One day just as he thought he could touch the opening, he fell. He was simply too weak to get up, and in two days he died. His captors came to get his body. They rolled away the huge rock that covered the entrance. As the light flooded into the cave, it illuminated an opening in the wall of the cave about three feet in circumference.

The opening was the opening to a tunnel which led to the other side of the mountain. This was the passage to freedom the prisoner had been told about. It was in the south wall directly under the opening in the ceiling. All the prisoner would have had to do was crawl about 200 feet and he would have found freedom. He had so completely focused on the opening of light that it never occurred to him to look for freedom in the darkness. Liberation was there all the time right next to the mound he was building, but it was in the darkness.

#2 Donna

Donna

Liver Schmiver

• Contributing Member
  • 9,723 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 10:53 PM

hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif

That was an amazing story hun that took my breath away, thankyou for sharing it. wub.gif

#3 Becky

Becky

There is Hope

• Contributing Member
  • 9,929 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 10:55 PM

Amazing story! I had a dream this reminds me of. Actually, it puts the dream into perspective.

Thanks for sharing that.

I hope it helps Dawn!! hug.gif

Becky

#4 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2005 - 06:33 AM

Thanks Vera for sharing that wub.gif

It outs things into perspective ~ certanly given me something to think about

Dawn hug.gif

#5 Jessie

Jessie

I've done my sentence, but committed no crime

• 3,131 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 11:46 AM

smile.gif Wow Vera I loved that story..thanks for sharing. wub.gif hug.gif

#6 -Nicole-

-Nicole-

Be Still

• Contributing Member
  • 5,474 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 10:53 PM

I don't think I ever saw this thread before! It really is wonderful and I couldn't have found it on a better night.

Thanks, Vera hug.gif hug.gif

#7 Peacegirl

Peacegirl

Searching Soul

• 3,960 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 01:17 PM

This story is very much needed right now. Thanks for posting this so it was able to be rediscovered smile.gif

Lindsay

#8 tuliptorn

tuliptorn

Still blooming after all these years.

• 5,528 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 10:11 PM

Whoa that was deep. Ty.

#9 momothedude

momothedude
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:13 AM

that was a good read, thanks