Welcome to After Silence - A message board and chat room for rape, sexual assault, and sexual abuse survivors.

Welcome to After Silence, a message board and chat room designed to help survivors communicate in the recovery of rape, sexual abuse, sexual assault, and all types of sexual violence.

After Silence has over 30 different forums, ranging from topics created to discuss specific areas of healing and recovery from rape and sexual violence, as well as forums open to general discussions and lighter topics. Because we value the privacy of our members, most of our forums are private, which means that ONLY REGISTERED members have access to them. Please register for a free account to gain full access to the After Silence Online Support Group.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us at aftersilence.org@gmail.com
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Loving Our Bodies, Loving Ourselves

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#16 Lindy

Lindy

Running Princess

• Administrator
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 01:40 PM

Oh goodie...thanks for boosting this! smile.gif

Since turning 30 last month, I have decided to make time for myself, to do things that I love and would make me feel good about myself.

I stopped going to the gym in July and have gained about 10 lbs. Yesterday, I decided to go back to the gym and do what I love: Spinning, Pilates, Yoga and Running. At least 3 times a week, no less.

I will take my time in the kitchen and stop buying processed foods and enjoy a great home cooked meal. I have found that there's nothing more pleasing than making a favorite recipe and savoring every bite. With a glass of red wine, of course!

It's always been hard for me to make time for reading since I have work and school full-time, but I love to unwind with a good book. Right now I am reading Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontė.

I absolutely love to crochet while watching movies. smile.gif

I have what feels like Body Dysmorphic Disorder and I do believe that working on my image will help tremendously.

Lindy

#17 drowning000

drowning000

carpe diem

• 3,164 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 12:26 AM

Buying new clothes is always a good one too, or ultering your old ones!

#18 Saz

Saz
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:52 AM

I should probably start doing things like this... I started severely neglecting myself a while ago. But the other night I shaved my legs, and then put some moisturiser on them later that smelt nice smile.gif Lol, very simple. But it's a good starting place for me.

I do things to 'look after' myself, but only so I don't stand out. Just to fit in, I don't do it to feel 'good' about myself. Hmmm. I'll try the lipgloss thing tonight smile.gif

What do you do about looking nice to go out, when you have red scars on your arm?? blush.gif I used to wear nice tops but now I can't... because I don't really know what sort of jacket thingy to put with it! It would be nice to feel pretty again for a day.

Saz x

#19 Katia60

Katia60
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 05:46 PM

Hi Nicole and everyone,

What a great thread. I like the idea.

I am not feeling able to post on this subject, but will try to make up a small list of what I have been doing.

Thanks for all the great sharing.

Kate

#20 PinkSky

PinkSky
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 03:19 PM

~ posting a painting by Rubens at my workdesk. It's a wonderful picture of a naked woman and just the back of a man; it's beautiful. But the women does not fit today's media image of beauty. It has really helped me in my quest to feel beautiful. The painting is here.

~ taking long showers and soaping up with my hands, which meant touching every inch of my body. It made me get to know my body.

~ making myself take a long bubble bath and again cleaning my body with my hands.

~ lotioning up DAILY after the long showers; massaging my feet, calves, hands.

~ working out. That made me feel my body alive, blood pumping, sweating.

~ recognizing and not accepting any bad thoughts about my body.

~ telling myself that I am beautiful inside and out and that nobody can tell me otherwise.

~ getting a manicure, pedicure, waxing done once in a while.

#21 Haullie

Haullie

Resurrecting my soul...

• 4,753 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 01:13 PM

Since being diagnosed with PCOS I have gained a tremendous amount of weight that has been difficult to lose despite good eating habits and steady tradmill every day for 20 minutes. I hate to talk about it like that because then I start to dismiss that this is all my fault and maybe I wouldn't even have PCOS if I wasn't overweight to begin with. hmmm...anyway...so I really don't like my body image right now and although I try to stay positive and give myself affirmation, it's still hard for me so I intend on discussing this to my life coach tomorrow and getting some additional insight because I do believe that a positive attitude is what will help me become healthier, it's the negativety that slows me down. I'm constantly wondering what else could be "better" about me, but God made me the way I am so I have a lot of inner work to do still.

Love, Haullie

#22 ToLiveAgain

ToLiveAgain
  • 581 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 03:25 PM

Nicole I absolutely LOVE this thread!

One thing I've started doing on a very conscious level, and on a consistent basis is visualizing my hand reaching up, palm outward in the "STOP" sign kind of way, in response to ANY negative thoughts I have about myself (more often than not they are body image related, but sometimes just "stupid" or "lazy" etc).

As soon as I have halted the thought (and the visualization makes for a dramatic halt), I reverse the negative message in my head to something positive, typically the opposite of what I just thought.

For example, if I walk past a window or mirror and see my reflection, and the thought pops into my head that I am a slug and really need to do something about my weight, I visualize the "STOP" sign hand, then I tell myself over and over, "I am thin and lithe and every day I achieve greater and greater health." (Ok, so I'm not really thin and lithe, but my subconscious mind only knows what I tell it... and the more I believe it to be true the more my mind will make it become a reality.)

I also find that showering, putting on makeup, and wearing a smile, even when I don't feel like smiling is often enough to get me over the hump.

I love this thread and am going to work on finding something new every day to add!

Awesome idea, Nicole!

#23 -Nicole-

-Nicole-

Be Still

• Contributing Member
  • 5,474 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:30 PM

Glad you like it Blue!

That is a very good idea you have! To elaborate on that thought, actually saying, "NO" or "STOP" outloud when negative thoughts arise may be equally powerful. It goes back to the power of your voice. I might have to try that!

I had a pretty bad day today, so it was nice to see this thread had been bumped flowers.gif Now I think I will go take some of the advice posted here and try to make the end of the day a little better. Thanks ladies hug.gif

#24 -Nicole-

-Nicole-

Be Still

• Contributing Member
  • 5,474 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:41 AM

Cooking healthy meals for yourself, even if you are cooking for one (which I now am)

Dates with yourself! I have planned nice quiet evenings at home with a movie, book or some good music, cooked a nice dinner and instead of getting dressed up I'll put on my favorite comfy clothes. It really feels good and can be extremely healing. I felt totally spoiled the first time I did it!

#25 AWhisperofTruth

AWhisperofTruth

Mirror in the sky, what is love?

• 2,840 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:09 PM

This is a great thread! smile.gif

I sometimes look in a mirror and analyze myself without judgment. I just desribe my features, and then try to find things I like about my appearance. It helps me not to focus on the things I don't like about myself, like my weight, but to look at myself as a whole, not just the fat person I see.
I do lots of affirmations about myself. I tell myself I'm beautiful. Even if I don't believe it, the purpose is to keep repeating it to myself so I will start to believe it.
I have a chart where I write something negative I feel about myself, and then in the next column I challenge it. I used to have to use positive words that other people have said about me, but I've improved enough to straight-out challenge it with my own thoughts.

I love having "beauty" time. I take a long shower or bath, put on good-smelling lotion, put leave-in conditioner in my hair, use a clay mask that makes me feel refreshed and my face smooth, put on comfy clothes that make me feel good, maybe paint my nails, and relax.
My favorite "feel-good" clothes are just pajama pants (or my yoga pants) and a cute, soft, and comfortable tank top.

I also do yoga and meditate with incense and scented candles. Music is powerful to me, I really listen to it, not just hear it, and it feels like it's pumping through my veins. So listening to music I love makes me feel great and although I do meditate in complete silence, I also do with music.

I have an eating disorder, and my focus has been on calories and losing weight. I've been stopping myself when those thoughts come and I try to redirect my focus to nutrients, strength, and fitness. I love exercise and having a healthy meal makes me feel good. Going running and lifting weights makes me feel more powerful and confident, as well as feeling like I accomplished something when I come back from a run.

#26 AWhisperofTruth

AWhisperofTruth

Mirror in the sky, what is love?

• 2,840 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:57 PM

Oh, someone said something about buying new clothes. I really don't like shopping for clothes at the weight I am right now, but today I decided I should get clothes that make me feel pretty, cute, or just nice. I got some really comfy pajama pants and 2 really pretty dresses, that are sort of bohemian which I can wear pretty much anywhere. They suit my current figure and I'd even go so far as to say they are flattering. I love them and feel so nice when I put them on. smile.gif One of them is really flowy and would look really cute if I wore jeans with it.

Edited by AWhisperofTruth, 02 June 2008 - 07:59 PM.

#27 -Nicole-

-Nicole-

Be Still

• Contributing Member
  • 5,474 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 10:08 PM

Great ideas! I have also been spending more "beauty" time. Instead of rushing to get ready (which I do because I am always late - working on that one too) I allow more time so I can really be in the moment of washing my hair, shaving, washing my body, putting on lotion etc... My newest is the lotion. I bought a nice bottle of it and I take time to put it on my body and touch my body parts like I love them. I sort of say affirmations as I do this as well, complimenting myself on different body parts instead of thinking negative thoughts about them as I am used to (I also have an eating disorder).

I also bought myself some new clothes recently, partially because I have gained weight with my recent medical issues. I purchased some new things that flatter me at whatever weight I might be at. No more fat/ skinny clothes! I also bought myself two new pairs of shoes!

#28 athenaxena

athenaxena

The rest is still unwritten...

• 306 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 12:14 PM

I love using nice smelling lotion. I bought this great body butter from bath and body in this new scent, "Dancing Waters" it makes me smell good, which makes me feel better.

Taking long bubble baths. I have a jacuzzi tub in my bedroom (came with the apartment, seemed strange at first but I love it). I get some coffee, a few good books and my ipod and just sit and read and enjoy the warmth and the jets.

Doing my makeup. On a daily basis I just use a light layer of foundation, bronzer and mascara. But sometimes, just for fun, I'll do myself all up with eyeliner and eyeshadow, just to make myself look "pretty."

Working out. I always feel better after a nice hard run. When I'm all sweaty and tired and I collapse on my floor, I just feel good about myself.

This is a great thread Nicole! I'm really glad you started it!

#29 John

John

We're all stories in the end....make yours a good one

• Administrator
  • 7,633 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:05 AM

Loving myself or my body is something that I think I struggle with, I am constantly tense and I always push my body to the limits, I can easily stay awake for days if I want to get something done urgently, mind of matter, when I am studying I won't eat for days sometimes, and I am really unsure how to love my body, I think personal grooming etc, in society is generally seen as a womens thing, but I think that this is just not true, men also have concerns about their body, and their self image, I know personally I do, I have no mirrors in my room because I don't like how I look, and always angle the car rear view mirror just at the right angle so I can't see myself, something I had always been conscience of is my hair, I have always wanted very long hair however I never do because I don't like to stick out, well now I am, I am growing my hair long, long enough to have a pigtail, and to have my hair touch my back, and to be able to tie it back, I have always wanted to look like the achery guy with blonde hair from lord of the rings, well that is my aim now, hehe. I guess another think I do for loving my body is hygenie, I am very hygenic, but other then that I do find it hard to do things which are loving for my body or myself. I just have this feeling of undeserving, however I hope with time I can overcome this.

John flowers.gif

#30 whimsical1

whimsical1

love child

• Contributing Member
  • 7,567 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 11:07 PM

Great thread!

I always feel best during a run, and I feel great for a while afterwards. I try to always eat healthy. I drink alot of cold green tea with ginseng and honey. I use moisturizer everyday after showering. I love to get my hair done, and a mani/pedi on occasion. I use glycolic products to keep my face looking as young as possible, for as long as possible. I love the feel of a great pair of hip-hugger boot leg jeans. That's all I can think of right now.

smile.gif