Welcome to After Silence - A message board and chat room for rape, sexual assault, and sexual abuse survivors.

Welcome to After Silence, a message board and chat room designed to help survivors communicate in the recovery of rape, sexual abuse, sexual assault, and all types of sexual violence.

After Silence has over 30 different forums, ranging from topics created to discuss specific areas of healing and recovery from rape and sexual violence, as well as forums open to general discussions and lighter topics. Because we value the privacy of our members, most of our forums are private, which means that ONLY REGISTERED members have access to them. Please register for a free account to gain full access to the After Silence Online Support Group.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us at aftersilence.org@gmail.com
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How Can We Improve The Public Resources Lists?

public resources

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 somerandomguy1985

somerandomguy1985
  • M. Member
  • 534 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:00 PM

Hi,

I'd like to start a conversation about what we can do to improve the public resources in this forum, specifically the lists of local crisis centers.  

Here are my concerns:

1 - Lists go out of date and have to be remedied by good samaritans who, lacking the access to revise the original posts, simply tack things onto the bottom in their own post.  If Person A posts the old phone number for XYZ Crisis Center and Person B posts the new phone number, then we are stuck with 2 contradictory pieces of data until somebody notices and corrects the problem.

2 - Lists are inconsistent, sometimes containing information about individual services and areas offered and sometimes not. I realize that sometimes information can be lacking for one organization or another, but if there was a standard format for entering this information with fields that were required, it would make for a more complete, consistent, and reliable source of information.

3 - There is generally no indication of whether an organization take the following into consideration:

A - Age

B - Gender

C - Criminal background and personal history

D - Insurance coverage

I think that we need to capture this information wherever it is known, and we should encourage people to investigate wherever it is not known.

What I propose:

To me the most logical way to control completeness of any of this information is to house it not on the forum but rather on the Aftersilence.org parent site.  This would require coding changes, but don't let that scare you.  I've talked to many people on this site with web design and development experience.  I have a background in web design, and although I'm not a hotshot developer I do have a knack for creating site demos, screenshots, and things of that nature.  I think that if we were to get some techy types to lead this conversation we could come up with an idea that can truly work.

Questions for the admins:

1 - What are your concerns for starting such a conversation?

2 - What are your concerns for implementing these changes?

3 - What are your requirements for managing such a tool?   <---This is the critical piece.  I want to find a way to do this in a way that can be effectively maintained by someone without significant technical knowledge.

I welcome any feedback.

Edited by somerandomguy1985, 23 February 2014 - 05:28 PM.