Welcome to After Silence - A message board and chat room for rape, sexual assault, and sexual abuse survivors.

Welcome to After Silence, a message board and chat room designed to help survivors communicate in the recovery of rape, sexual abuse, sexual assault, and all types of sexual violence.

After Silence has over 30 different forums, ranging from topics created to discuss specific areas of healing and recovery from rape and sexual violence, as well as forums open to general discussions and lighter topics. Because we value the privacy of our members, most of our forums are private, which means that ONLY REGISTERED members have access to them. Please register for a free account to gain full access to the After Silence Online Support Group.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us at aftersilence.org@gmail.com
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Why No Thumbs-Up Or Equivalent Feature?

thumbs up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 somerandomguy1985

somerandomguy1985
  • M. Member
  • 395 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:32 PM

Hi,

Just wondering why there's no thumbs-up type of feature on After Silence?  A lot of forums will have a feature like a thumbs-up which will allow you to thank a particular poster for their helpful post.  The individual users collect these thumbs up's and get some title displayed under their avatar as an award for achieving a higher score.  It's a way to help encourage and recognize good behavior in the forum environment.  In After Silence if you write a crappy post you get nothing and if you write something helpful... you still get nothing.  

Is this by design and for some specific reason?

Thanks for your time and attention

#2 Samii

Samii
  • M. Member
  • 511 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:12 PM

Think this is bad idea in forum that is suppose be about support.  Will make many person feel put out.

#3 sonnet

sonnet

I didn't lose my mind, it was mine to give away!

• 3,377 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:44 AM

yea, i don't really see the point of it either...and also, it seems kinda patronizing....like, I am 30 years old, I don't want a reward chart for good behavior.  I have seen it on other forums, i just don't "get it" 

#4 philkay

philkay
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:12 AM

i have to agree with Samii and Sonnnet. The thumbs up feature is a popularity contest to incourage posters on a social network or forums to post the best post. It's not about gaining brownie points for good behaviour. I've never paid attention to that sort of thing.

This site is a community support board which aims to allow members to break their silence. It's sort of self help therapy and mutual support. It allows us to say as little or as much as we are able in any manner in accordance to the forums' guidlines. It is not a social forum. There are no contests. We all agree to abide by the rules when we join, if we break those rules then we will be asked to leave. That's all the behavioural management needed.

Edited by philkay, 06 November 2013 - 06:14 AM.

#5 reglois

reglois

Reglois

• 3,434 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:11 AM

:agree2:  this forum is all about healing and mutual support nothing else is needed

Edited by reglois, 06 November 2013 - 10:13 AM.