Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Hello

Guest firefly8

Guest firefly8

Hi everyone~

I'm really glad I found this site, it seems like there is a lot of support here. I think its important to share stories and learn from one another. It helps SO much to know that I am not alone. I was a victim of rape (but I'm not a victim any more, or at least trying not to be), and I was also sexually abused as a child by my father and potentially a friend of his. I have posted my story under "share your story." I just moved out of state to go to a different college, and I left my entire support system in New York, although I didn't really speak up until right before I left, but still. I'm grateful for the on-line support and that there are websites like this that offer information and support. I think our society needs to deal with these issues much more, the hush hush attitude that seems to go along with words like rape is horrible. Last year I skydived for sexual abuse awareness through SOAR and it really helped to open the door for conversation regarding such issues. Anyways, I feel like part of my healing is going to be trying to prevent abuse and raise awareness for it. I never want anybody to have to go through what we've been through. Thats a little bit about me...

Thank you all for being here!

Welcome to After Silence :hug:

It's really admirable of you to try to help others and raise awareness. I too believe that helping others as well as ourselves can be very beneficial for our healing. I try my best to speak out and to do all I can to prevent abuse from happening again. It's a long, difficult road but I'm grateful to share it with so many other survivors who fight everyday, not only for their healing but for the healing of every survivor.

We are here for you :hug:

Hugs,

Vera

:inn: Welcome Firefly

You sound like a strong survivor, and I admire you for that. I think it is hard for victims to talk about, because we feel either ashamed, guilty, dirty, confused, afraid, all of those things. People don't want to hear it, because it is taboo. Even when you do decide to talk about it, you must be very careful about who you decide to talk to, because it puts one in a very vulnerable situation at a time when all h*ll is breaking loose around you. Sometimes people don't know what to say, so they say the wrong thing, no harm intended, but the road to h*ll is paved with good intentions. If you are a kid, it seems that because this has happened to you, all of a sudden you are not treated like a kid, but like a side show, or the hottest juicyest gossip. I admire you for your determination not to continue to be a victim.

I think we all have a responsibility to try to prevent continued rape, incest, and sexual abuse. which I do whenever the opportunity arises. However I don't know what we can do about society's attitudes about sex, rape, incest and sexual abuse, however I am interested in any suggestions.

This is a good place to be, because it is very important to have a support group that understands. I hope we can help, and I look forward to hearing more from you. :throb::wub::greet::hug:

welcome to the boards and im sure you'll find all the support you need here.

:throb::hug::throb:

Welcome to AS, we are lucky to have a wonderful place here, and I hope you like being a part of it .. :hug: