Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

How Do I Get Through The Emotions?

One of the many problems I am having now is I do not know how to deal with all the emotions I am feeling. I feel like I am on a rollercoaster ride of emotions. Some of what I am feeling I can't even express in words. I feel like they are eating me up inside. I am not even sure exactly what I am feeling sometimes. I also find hard to get through each day because I keep reliving the attack; I keep having flashbacks. I can't even sleep at night because of the anxiety and fear of the nightmares. At least here I can start to get it out.

In am so sorry that you have a reason to be on AS, but I am glad you found it. You are not alone in how you are reacting; I have been right where you are now, been riding the rollercoaster for a very long time, and I have so much compassion for what you are going through. It's anything but easy.

If there is anybody supportive and present in your everyday life, use that. The support of others helps so much, and people in these forums understand what you went through and the trauma it created. Therapy helps some people as well, if you see that as a viable option.

I took things to force myself to sleep, but I would not advise that. As far as the emotions...I sometimes make a list of identifiable emotions throughout the day...when I am feeling particularly upset. Writing helped me in the aftermath of my attack. So did an attempt at lucid dreaming and studying meditation, but my reactions were anything but positive in the long run, mostly from a lack of support (I didn't tell a soul for years after).

I don't know if writing or listing or meditation will help you; personally I believe support is the most important at first and I truly hope you have somebody in your life who can physically be with you when you need a rock to help steady the emotional eruptions.

I pray that you will find a gentle path to healing. PM me if you like. *hugs if okay*

Hi there, I'm really sorry you are going through so much pain. Like Shadowed said, having support of someone who will listen to you, I journal every day, just write about the day and accomplishments, or upsetting things, meditating breathing helps, crying and letting it out. Just know you are not alone ok? "That was a big thing for me, I felt like I was the only one feeling like this. You are a strong brave person! Therapy will help to process all of this, I pray for your suffering to ease.

I've just recently started journaling as well, and it is quite helpful. Having a person is also wonderful. You have a lot of people behind you praying and supporting you on this site though.

• 1 month later...

DBT has helped me immensely through the emergency phase. I use it in my job, so luckily I had some experience with it when I ended up needing it. Google it. Specifically what helped the most was recognizing and validating every one of my feelings and memories, no matter how crazy. Then remembering that even though feelings hurt really badly, I probably won't die from them. And when I do feel like I will surely die from feelings, distract and escape (tv shows, video games, and exercise for me.)

Something else that helped was trusting someone I knew with it. My person was kind and loving and supportive and said everything right, and I still regretted telling immediately. It hurt so badly to have someone know and still does regularly. However, because he knows he can tell me "You are not a bad person and you didn't make this happen or deserve it."

I agree with writing, though I have so much shame and fear of exposure that it is difficult to have a record hanging around.

What helps me is finding things I like to do. Like read, draw, etc, etc. Journaling also helps.

Found