Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Hi Everyone

I'd like to add all kinds of exclamations and be cheery but I'm too heavy for that at the moment.

My girlfriend told me about this site. We have both been through some stuff and she thinks this site might help me in my healing process. Even with her, so lovingly, staying by my side. I feel isolated and alone much of the time.

I hope to accomplish rediscovering the once, bubbly, fun and loving person that I used to be.

Cheers to all who are here to heal, help support and walk through this process together!

Here's to a brighter future!! :butterfly:

I've just read a new members post. I have felt so ashamed because I have mistreated others along my path of being abused.
Is it a fairly normal occurrence that an abused becomes an abuser?
I have shamed myself over and over for being abusive after suffering from so much. It pains to think how much I have hurt others and it's impulsive. I feel like I can't control it sometimes, though I try soooo hard, I just can't seem to keep it under control. Then I cry and self shame again.

Is this normal for someone who has been abused? I feel crazy sometimes and even blame myself (because of the above) for having experienced abuse.

Hi shewolfe,

Welcome to AS. I am sorry for the trauma that both you and your girlfriend have suffered. You ask if it is common for the abused to become the abuser. I believe it does happen, but there are so many different after effects of trauma. You did not specify what type of mistreatment you were referring to, but I do suggest, if you believe that it is beyond normal acting out (being angry, picking fights, etc), please seek professional help. I know the last thing you want is someone to be hurt, as you have been. If I made any wrong interpretations, I apologize. You do deserve to heal, and I do support you in this endeavor.

Mary

:supportu:

• 3 weeks later...