Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

New Here

SunGirl

I'm going to try this forum. Lately I've been very sensitive to being triggered. So I'm hoping this kind of supportive environment will help and not make me worse. It seems just talking about the messed up stuff in general terms floods me with memories. I guess the best thing to do is not read posts that say they may be triggering. I'm so glad members are required to say that. I look forward to getting to know each of you better. :hi:

Welcome to After Silence. It can be triggering here, but I've found that the support and encouragement FAR outweigh the triggers. People are pretty good about posting trigger warnings, and you'll quickly learn what sections are more likely to trigger you. I hope being here helps you as much as it's helped me.

Hello Sungirl! :hi:

I'm glad you are giving After Silence a try. I can understand your concern about being triggered and I applaud you for being aware of the need to take care of yourself - that's great that you are doing that! When I joined several years ago I just looked around for a while to get a feel for things. Depending on how fragile you are you may want to stay away from certain forums or topics if they are too "triggering".

Keep in mind that there is no right or wrong about how much or how little you should post about yourself or respond to others. Sometimes members feel guilty
because they don't feel they are in a place to offer much support to others, but let me assure you that AS is for YOU. If you are not in a place to offer support that is totally okay and it is very okay to let others support you for however long you need.

To protect each other, we ask that members post "trigger warnings" such as "TW" or the icon :triggering2: before the post anything that is likely to be "triggering". The TW (trigger warnings) should also help you pick and choose you as you are reading posts so that you can avoid looking at triggering topics or details.

I hope this helps alleviate your concerns about being triggered! Welome to After Silence (AS) and I hope you will find it to be a safe, kind, and supportive place for you to express yourself and be understood.

:flowers::luck:

Activist Ally

Welcome to AS, SunGirl! I hope you find peace and comfort and support here.

If you're looking for non-triggering threads, perhaps

Simply Life http://www.aftersilence.org/forum/index.php?showforum=16

or Humor and Silliness http://www.aftersilence.org/forum/index.php?showforum=26

are some of our least triggering forums on the board.

Take good care :)

Edited by fallenstar

Thank you for the kind words and suggestions everyone. I have a good feeling that this site will be a good support component to my treatment team. I'm sorry each of you have a reason to be here, but I am glad you are here.

Welcome here, sungirl. I'm sorry for the reason(s) you're on After Silence, but know that you're not alone. Just so you know, there is no pressure to talk before you're ready. It's up to YOU to share what, and when. The suggestions that fallenstar gave you as far as non-triggering threads go are fun areas to check out, and to get to know some of us members without fearing being triggered.

Thank you for the kind words reglois and NorskyCourtney!! Norsky I am sorry you are here too and that there are reasons a site like this exists. I know there is no pressure to talk. I'm looking forward to checking out the chatroom as there are times I could see that being very helpful. :ThankYou:

• 1 month later...

Welcome SunGirl.
I'm sorry to hear that you have been struggling lately.
I've spent much of the past few years in the same place.

Hopefully by being here you will at least realize that you are not abnormal for feeling this way and there are plenty of other survivors going through similar struggles.
It's definitely not easy doing it alone.

If you ever need someone to talk to, feel free to privately message me.