Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Essex 1- Me 0, Time To Change That Score. Good, Funny

Maybe someday I'll post a memory about my favorite horse. He was my 'wings.' And an angel, to boot. I still miss him and it's been over 20 years.
Know exactly what you mean, exactly ... :hug:

So, my thought for today ..

Well, I think it will be that British tradition of Fish and Chips ..

We used to go shopping on a Saturday, often ending up at Burnham On Crouch, there were several small fishing trawlers that went out from there and often we would wait for them to return with their catch, then watch as they brought whatever they had caught over the road from the small quayside to the Fish and Chip shop opposite and then have Fish and Chips, of course you never really knew what the fish was going to be until then, it would depend on the catch ..

I loved Fish and Chips, that's how Fish and Chips should be, unfortunately you don't get too many good places .. Even now .. That's the trouble, if it's bad, its bloody awful, but if it's good, then it is the stuff memories are made of .. :)

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thanks: for this topic.

I was around 4 or 5, My grandmother was living with us, as she was not well. In the big bedroom, there was 2 double beds, my mum and I slept in one, and my aunt and grandmother slept in the other. Every night my aunt would make semolina for my grandmother as she was not eating much.

My gran could never finish it, so she would say, here you are little one, you have it, but dont tell Aunty Jane. We used to giggle and have cuddles, it was lovely, I looked forward to going to bed, as I knew My Nain( welsh for grandmother ) and I would have cuddles and share her pudding.

(((Catherine)))

My thought for today ..

A simple one really, watching a calf being born for the first time, the new life with all it's innocence ..

:hug: :hug: :hug:

So, the thought for today ...

Another short one really, similar to yesterdays ..

My sister was at home with the measles, I came back from school on my own and got back just in time to see the cat have her last kitten .. My sister had been lucky enough to see all of them being born, but again, a special moment ..

Although I don't think the bottom of my parents wardrobe was ever quite the same again .. Well, the cat wanted a dark place to give birth and that was nice and cosy thank you very much ... :lol:

Today's thought takes place at another farm, another set of friends ..

We would pair off and attack/defend two 'forts' that were either side of the rick yard (rick yard is a yard that runs along the hay barns, normally at the rear of the main buildings, at least that's what it is in Shropshire.) Anyway, we had to try and take the opposite fort ... And the forts were the two muck spreaders, and the ammo we used was, yep, you've guessed it, the lumps of muck off said muck spreaders .. GREAT! We got quite accurate quite quickly as well ..

One result of all that practice throwing things was the four of us made a formidable snowball fighting team!

:)

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

ROFL Ihavemadeit!!! You reminded me of the horse poo fights we used to have! You start out with the really dry ones that don't have much smell left to them anymore and as feelings become angrier you start looking for the ploppier ones! Hmmm... and they say country kids can't have any fun! LOL (laughing hysterically) We got really creative with horse poo as we were growing up!!!

:hug:

Meg

:outahere:

You start out with the really dry ones that don't have much smell left to them anymore and as feelings become angrier you start looking for the ploppier ones!
Yep, that's it .. lol

Today's thought is a bit more 'serious' I guess, but still means a lot, I can't remember at what age this was. Not very old, but the first time we went to midnight mass at the local church and it was an entirely candle lit service .. magical .. If for no other reason than the candles flames causing dancing shadows inside the building ..

Edited by Ihavemadeit

Hummm, what shall it be ..

Ah yes, our very own haunted house! Well cottage that was abandoned in the grounds of the place were we lived, this cottage had been over-run with trees and undergrowth, inside was amazing because the furniture and toys from the early 1900's were still there ..

All untouched except for dust and cobwebs .. The house was a little the worse for wear, including rotten staircase and floorboards .. Yep, you've guessed it, another place we were banned from, but of course go there we did, and had great fun within our own haunted house .. We (us and friends) often used to wind up the younger children by going there .. We were evil little buggers really! It was a scary place though, and we could never pluck up the courage to there after dark .. Even if we tried to egg each other on, nobody had that much courage!

Looking back on it now .. We were lucky to have such amazing places where we could play .. Even if we were not meant to be there .. :)

I know that after we left the people that moved in (who happened to be friends of my Mothers) removed all the trees and undergrowth and the place virtually fell down on its own once it no longer had all that around it supporting the structure!

Have a good weekend folks .. :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Edited by Ihavemadeit
the place virtually fell down on its own once it no longer had all that around it supporting the structure!

hahahahahahahahahaha!!! Are you sure it wasn't all the kids in the neighborhood that contributed??? LOL

Speaking of fun places to play... for many years my grandparents lived near Humboldt Bay Nuclear Power Plant. We kids would sneak over their fence to play in this really neat bare field where virtually nothing ever grew. The power company guards would run us out every time the found us in there. Many years later I learned that was the dumping grounds for the nuclear waste. No wonder not much grew there. I suppose I should go check in the mirror to see if I'm glowing in the dark yet!

Nope, not glowing yet!

Meg

for many years my grandparents lived near Humboldt Bay Nuclear Power Plant.
How weird is that, at the time these memories came from we were living very close to the Bradwell Nuclear Power Station, we used to ride the ponies down by there ..

BTW ... I haven't seen any glowing lights yet Meg so I think you may have got away with it ..

So, my thought for today ...

Time for a simple one ... Music ... One of the hit singles at this time was by a group called MUD and the single was called Tiger feet ..... Whenever it came on the radio while we were at our friends house we would all start to dance along, adults and children alike ..

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

for many years my grandparents lived near Humboldt Bay Nuclear Power Plant.
How weird is that, at the time these memories came from we were living very close to the Bradwell Nuclear Power Station, we used to ride the ponies down by there ..

BTW ... I haven't seen any glowing lights yet Meg so I think you may have got away with it ..

Oh, how funny is that? We couldn't get horses across the fence but the bare ground made for some great softball! LOL

I have a music one, too, today. It's more recent but it's a song that never fails to put a smile on my face and get my toes to tapping. It's by Garth Brooks and it's called "It's Midnight, Cinderella" Everything about that song is upbeat and has me giggling before it's over... especially "by the way he's walking we can guess where your slipper's at..." LOL

Meg

I am going to have to google that song Meg, sounds interesting for sure!

So, my thought for today, I think I'm going to keep it simple again ..

We were friends with the neighbours children and would walk over there quite a lot, they had a fig tree growing outside the patio doors and when the figs were ripe we could often be found sitting in the sun stuffing our faces with these figs ...Must have kept us regular anyway!

Watching our Chow Cross Retriever dog going off at a certain time in the day - to sit in the middle of the road when the evening works bus on its way back with a load of workers from the power station (as mentioned by IHMI), stop the bus, wait about 5 minutes with a stupid look on his face, and the mini bus load of blokes sat there petrified of this hairy mutt and refusing to get out and try to move him....... knowing eventually he would decide the fun was over, move out of the way and let them go on home!

Or - I am surprised sis you haven't mentioned this - how about your black cat (Pye) who knew, with unnerving accuracy when we would be back from school (we had different finishing times) and would greet you off the bus!

Okay - two memories for the price of one there, but since I haven't made a contribution for a while decided it would help make up for the lost days I haven't posted!

The farm with the muck fights also had several plum trees at the back of the house, when the plums were ripe they would be sold at the local market, so we were banned from helping ourselves as obviously the money raised was important to the upkeep of the farm ..

So one day we broke that rule, shimmied up the trees and stuffed our faces, only to be caught, we got a slight telling off over that one ..Whoops!

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Down the railroad tracks from where we lived was an apple orchard with the best apples in the world on those trees. We would usually saunter down there for an apple snack several times a week, and the owner didn't seem to mind as there were a lot of trees and only a few of us. And we were never greedy. Then one afternoon, sitting in the apple trees, enjoying an apple we realized there was an addition to the orchard. His bull. Oops. I guess he got tired of us filching the apples after all! LOL We sat there a good long time waiting for that bull to leave. And that was probably our last trip to the orchard! LOL Did you know that bulls get a little annoyed when you throw apples at them?

Meg

LOL Did you know that bulls get a little annoyed when you throw apples at them?
I do now .. :roflmao:

Well, as it's my birthday in about 32 minutes (what me, watching the clock, never!)

I thought I would think back to Birthday parties ... A couple stick out, I think it would have been our fourth birthday, I remember enjoying that, then either the next year or year after that we were lucky and the weather was kind, we just went mad outside, I don't think the adults had to raise a finger as far as keeping all us kids entertained we managed quite well by ourselves!

I have been neglecting this rather, time to put that right and bore you all again!

My parents were very active in the local social circle (in a good way) and there would quite often be parties and things to attend .. Because the one lot of friends farmhouse was HUGE they would often entertain there ..

Hell, this place was big enough for two staircases, I think it even had a small ballroom ..Anyway, at one such party we did our usual trick and stayed overnight .. The food for the party was in the back room that the back stairs led into and we (the 4 of us kids) spent a fair amount of time rigging up a communication system using string and doorknobs as pulleys so we could signal when the coast was clear to raid the food .. And yep, in true fashion we got caught!

Whoops!

Still, it was fun though, worth being told off .. :)

:hug: :hug:

I have been neglecting this rather, time to put that right and bore you all again!

My parents were very active in the local social circle (in a good way) and there would quite often be parties and things to attend .. Because the one lot of friends farmhouse was HUGE they would often entertain there ..

Hell, this place was big enough for two staircases, I think it even had a small ballroom ..Anyway, at one such party we did our usual trick and stayed overnight .. The food for the party was in the back room that the back stairs led into and we (the 4 of us kids) spent a fair amount of time rigging up a communication system using string and doorknobs as pulleys so we could signal when the coast was clear to raid the food .. And yep, in true fashion we got caught!

Whoops!

Still, it was fun though, worth being told off .. :)

Added to that - we also were in the back bedroom that had the one set of stairs leading up from the kitchen area another day - and we were jumping about on the bed.

From our point of view - Bed collapsed, we ran.

From adults downstairs point of view - heard crash, ran upstairs to see children hightailing it out of the bedroom, trying to pretend it wasn't us!

Actually, I don't think there were quite as upset by it as they made out at the time lol

Well, my thought for today ..

I have been away from the PC a bit the last couple of days due to a couple of bashed up fingers that needed resting and typing wasn't helping, but it did remind me of an incident!

We were helping our friends muck out the stables and I managed to put the fork through my big toe! I still have the resulting scar on my toe, but I can remember being almost as upset that my wellies had been ruined as by the injury itself!

When I recall all the bumps and scraps it is a miracle that some of us every managed to survivor our childhood!

:lol:

• 4 months later...

I wanted to start posting on this thread again, It's been a sad day for us because my Aunt died, but it brought up some wonderful memories of this time as she lived near us in Essex, so in her memory I wanted to try and do a memory a day again for a little while ..

Please feel free to add your own memoires if you want to ..

So, a simple one to start, at my Aunt's house we were playing tennis, only we hadn't got a tennis ball so we decided to use a small stone instead, one of us, not sure who! Put the stone through the sitting room window and it hit with enough force that it didn't shatter the pane of glass but put a small perfectly neat round hole in the glass .. It looked like a bullet hole! We did get a telling off for that one ..

:)

Memory for today:

Dogs, we had two dogs, Pluto and Patch and we also would look after another dog at times, now that dog was not called Crackers without good reason ... We used to put the dogs in the kitchen when we went out, Crackers always seemed to manage to escape from the kitchen! Not only that he almost always managed to jump up at the front door and knock the catch on the door lock so we couldn't open it from the outside, so me being the smallest used to have to shimmy in through the small kitchen window (that we could unlatch from the outside) .. And Pluto would always think somebody was breaking in and miss biting me by inches!

No wonder we never got burgled!

:lol:

A memory today involves dogs again ..

In fact two of the dogs mentioned above ..

Patch was younger than Pluto .. And Pluto would often lead them out into the big wide world then abandon Patch!

One such day my Father was doing his usual walk round the fields to see if he could track Patch down .. Only to realize the field contained not just cows but one very hissed off bull who promptly charged my Father ... My Dad just managed to get too and vault the field gate in time! He was rather white by the time he got home and of course we all just laughed! :)

wow...this is a great thread!

Okay, so a positive memory (my abuse happened in a school, so for this to work, I guess it's got to be a positive memory from school):

Once we took a field trip to my favorite (at the time) teacher's house. We shot bottle rockets in his back yard ALL day. He let his dogs out to play, and we hung out there all day. At the time, it was the most awesome thing, and I talked about it for weeks.

Melissa

Melissa. that sounds amazing .. Thanks for sharing ..

My sister and I swimming at some friends house (who were lucky enough to have their own pool), the guy there used to practise chipping golf balls across the pool and we would go and dive to retrieve any that missed the other side ...

We learnt to dive properly there as well thanks to somebody else my parents knew who had been a county champion swimmer ...

Loved swimming then and still love it now ..

I will be away for a few days, but hope to pick this thread up again on Friday ..