Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

The Healing Quotes Thread!

"While we wait in silence for that final luxury of fearlessness, the weight of that silence will chocke us." -Audre Lorde

"There is no agony like an untold story inside of you," Maya Angelou

"The best thing you can do is realize that there's nothing wrong with you, and that it isn't your fault. Everything around you was the crazy part." -unknown

"When we speak we are afraid our words will not be heard or welcomed. but when we are silent, we are still afraid. So it is better to speak" Audre Lorde

"Ask for what you want and be prepared to get it." -Maya Angelou

"People remain who they are even when their faces fall to pieces" -Bertolt brecht

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song." -Maya Angelou

"From my obscurity came forth a light and illuminated my path." -Kahlil Gibran

"We tell lies when we're afraid...afraid of what we don't know, afraid of what other will think, afraid of what will be found out about us. But every time we tell a lie, the thing we fear grows stronger." -Tad Williams

"What breaks in a moment may take years to mend." -Swedish Proverb

"Like a tiny bird through a storm ccloud sky, a tiny piece winged its way through the chaos." -Katherine Patterson (Bridge to Terabithia)

"We endure so much more than we think we can, all human experience testifies to that. All we need to do is learn not to be afraid of the pain. Grit your teeth and let it hurt. Don't deny it, don't be overwhelmed by it. it will not last forever. One day the pain will be gone and you'll still be here." -Harold Kushner

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." -H Jackson browne

"The walls be build around us to keep out the sadness, also keep out the joy." -Jim Rohn

"Among true friends there are no secrets even if there are no words" -unknown

"The courage to be is the courage to accept oneself in spite of being unacceptable." -Paul Pillich

"The real difficulty is overcoming how you think about yourself. If we don't have that, we never grow, we never learn, and sure as hell we should never teach." -Maya Angelou

"I am not a teacher only a fellow travelor of whom you asked the way. I point ahead, ahead of myself as well you." -George Bernard Shaw

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" Some people are afraid of what they might find if they try to analyze themselves too much, but you have to crawl into your wounds to discover where your fears are. Once the bleeding starts, the cleansing can begin." -Tori Amos

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."

Robert Frost

failure is not falling down but staying down

at the end of the day, the fact we have the courage to remain standing is reason enough to celebrate. -greys anatomy

“Come to the edge.”

“We can't. We're afraid.”

“Come to the edge.”

“We can't. We will fall!”

“Come to the edge.”

And they came.

And he pushed them.

And they flew."

~Guillaume Apollinaire

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anais Nin

“Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light.” –Hellen Keller

Alis Volat Propiis---which means---she flies with her own wings

In the depths of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer

-Albert Camus

"You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated-Maya Angelou

just when the caterpillar thought the world was over it became a butterfly

“When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on!”

“Courage does not always roar. sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow" - Mary Anne Radmacher

“Fall in love or fall in hate. Get inspired or be depressed. Ace a test or flunk a class. Make babies or make art. Speak the truth or lie and cheat. Dance on tables or sit in the corner. Life is divine chaos. Embrace it. Forgive yourself. Breathe. And enjoy the ride…” – Solbeam

“Live in the present. Launch yourself on every wave. Find eternity in each moment…” - Thoreau

It is never too late to be what you might have been – George Eliot

"Life is a series of thousands of tiny miracles." - Mike Greenberg

Never let the odds keep you from doing what you know in your heart you were meant to do. – H. Jackson Brown Jr.

“When one door of happiness closes, another opens: but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us” – Helen Keller

“Happiness is like a butterfly: the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder…”– Thoreau

life isn’t about finding yourself. life is about creating yourself.

go confidently in the direction of your dreams. live the life you imagined. Thoreau

yesterday is history. tomorrow is a mystery. today is a gift. Roosevelt

every blade of grass had its angel that bends over and whispers “grow! grow!” the Talmud

Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail…” – Emerson

“What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?” – Unknown

“Let your light shine. Be a source of strength and courage. Share your wisdom. Radiate love.” - Wilferd Peterson

“when youre going through hell, keep going” Churchill

“The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.” –Helen Keller

“Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.” – unknown

“Be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars. In the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul.” – Max Ehrmann

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places.

Ernest Hemingway

"We cannot do great things in this world, we can only do small things with great love." - Mother Theresa

"Kind words can be short, and easy to speak, but their ehoes are truly endless." -Mother Theresa

"No guy is ever worth your tears, and the one who is won't make you cry." I can't remember who it's by, but I remember that it was a ten year old girl who said it...I think.

"Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up." - Batman Begins (I know, dorky right?)

Edited by Shywriter
  • 4 months later...

I've noticed a lot of quotes from musicians on this thread. Lots of Tori Amos and Maya Angelo. For the last 10 years I've relied on words from some of my favorite feminist punk rock groups. While their words might not be as poetic, when you hear them sung you can feel the energy, passion and urgency to your core..........

"Knife through the heart of our exploitation

LADIES ONE TIME CAN YOU HEAR IT

Disassemble our discrimination

When violence rules the world outside

And the headlines make me want to cry

It’s not the time to just keep quiet

Speak up one time TO THE BEAT"

Sleater Kinney

"I've been crawling up so long on your

stairway to heaven

And now i no longer believe that i wanna get in

And will there always be concerts where

women are raped

watch me make up my mind instead

of my face"

Sleater Kinney

The song Reclamation by Fugazi:

"These are our demands:

We want control of our bodies.

Decisions will now be ours.

You can carry out your noble actions,

We will carry our noble scars.

Reclamation.

No one here is asking,

No one here is asking,

But there is a question of trust.

You will do what looks good to you on paper,

We will do what we must.

Return, return, return.

Carry my body."

I also suggest listening to Bikini Kill - their lyrics are unapologetic and (at times) crude but this is a good thing. It'll make you feel your strength.

• 2 weeks later...

Semper fidelis. (Latin proverb meaning "Always lucky/loyal")

Eternity lasts long, especially towards the end (Woody Allen)

Pray that your loneliness becomes the stitch to find something to live for - big enough to die for it... (Dag Hammarskjöld)

We who still labour by the cromlech on the shore, the gray cairn on the hill, when day sinks, drowned in dew, being weary of the world's empires, bow down to you, Master of the still stars and of the flaming door. W.B.Yeats

"A lot of people enjoy being dead. But they are not dead, really. They're just backing away from life. *Reach* out. Take a *chance*. Get *hurt* even. But play as well as you can. Go team, go! Give me an L. Give me an I. Give me a V. Give me an E. L-I-V-E. LIVE! Otherwise, you got nothing to talk about in the locker room." - Harold and Maude

Harold: Maude.

Maude: Hmm?

Harold: Do you pray?

Maude: Pray? No. I communicate.

Harold: With God?

Maude: With *life*.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I just read through this whole thread! I posted before and refound some of my favorite quotes! Here are some new ones:

A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on.

Henry Ellis

"at the end of the day the fact we still have the courage to remain standing is reason enough to celebrate" greys anatomy

“There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle.”

stuart

Albert Einstein quote

fall down seven, get up eight

-proverb

"A person's a person no matter how small"

Dr. Seuss

I have not yet begun to fight!

John Paul Jones

Here is my own:

Time is healing.

• 9 months later...

A Buddhist proverb:

An elderly Chinese woman had two large pots , each hung on the ends of a pole , which she carried across her neck. One of the pots had a crack in it while the other pot was perfect and always delivered a full portion of water , at the end of the long walk from the stream to the house , the cracked pot arrived only half full.

For a full two years this went on daily , with the woman bringing home only one and a half pots of water. Of course , the perfect pot was proud of its accomplishments. But the poor cracked pot was ashamed of its own imperfection , and miserable that it could only do half of what it had been made to do.

After 2 years of what it perceived to be bitter failure , it spoke to the woman one day by the stream. "I am ashamed of myself , because this crack in my side causes water to leak out all the way back to your house."

The old woman smiled , "Did you notice that there are flowers on your side of the path , but not on the other pot's side?" "That's because I have always known about your flaw , so I planted flower seeds on your side of the path , and every day while we walk back , you water them. For two years I have been able to pick these beautiful flowers to decorate the table. Without you being just the way you are , there would not be this beauty to grace the house."

Each of us has our own unique flaw. But it's the cracks and flaws we each have that make our lives together so very interesting and rewarding. You've just got to take each person for what they are and look for the good in them.

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment or the smallest act of caring. All of which have the potential to turn a life around.

"The idea is to rescue myself from the role of a victim. That I have a choice left. Though I can't change what has happened, I can choose how to react. And I don't want to spend the rest of my life being bitter and locked up." :)

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square hole. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.

Steve Jobs

• 8 months later...

It's not what happens to us, but our response to it, that hurts us...in fact our most difficult experiences become the crucibles that forge our character and develop the internal powers, the freedom to handle the difficult circumstances in the future and inspire others to do so as well.Covey

I look at this when I have 'why me' moments and 'when will all this end'....I know I will be the stronger person at the end of all this xx :luck:

• 2 weeks later...

"Anger is healthy, but out of balance if it doesn't have compassion."

Edited by abbywil83

"It belongs to the very substance of nonviolence never to destroy or damage another person's feeling of self-worth, even an opponent's. We all need, constantly, an advance of trust and affirmation." -bernard haring