Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Hi :).

My name is Risha. I am of Indian descent. I love to play soccer and am intrigued by anything mathematics related. Joining a support group has been very outside of my comfort zone because Indian culture is typically not the most open culture.

I am a survivor. I am an over comer.

I am going to turn 21 this year and honestly, I never thought I'd make it this far with everything that has happened. It has taken me almost 2 years of numbing myself from the pain to have the strength to open up about it. I am choosing to open up because I want to help others heal. I can't help others who went through similar things unless I allow myself to soberly walk through the healing process first.

You all inspire me. It takes courage to get up every morning and willingly decide to attempt to put the pieces of our lives back together. I look forward to having friends who understand and will not judge, ridicule or belittle the hurt I have experienced.

Anyway, happy Friday :). Let's be stronger today than we were yesterday.

Sincerely,

Risha :)))

Hi Risha ...its nice to meet u ... u really found an amazing very supportive site ...

I'm Indian and British descent ...hope to get to know u more ..it took me a long time to seek help too as I had to maintain an everything is perfect front ...seeking help treatment has been very freeing ..and trying to open up more .....Take care of urself

Welcome!! I look forward to hearing your story when and if you are ready to tell. I love your positive outlook. I still get afraid of nightmares or thinking too much so I take Valium at night. You are reminding me that this is delaying healing. It's another form of hiding. I will taper this off. Thank you.

Thank you all for responding. I cannot tell you how much it means to me to have an insightful, restorative, compassionate conversation about being sexually abused.

I have tried so hard to reach out in the past... to tell others what I am going through-- but all I have felt in the past is judgement, criticism, or indifference. I didn't feel like anyone cared or took what I was saying seriously so instead of talking about it anymore-- I shut up and shut down.

But I have been blessed to find this website. To find people like you who not only read and relate with what another person is going through but you reach out to that person.

Thank you. I know God has great plans for you because of the heart you have shown me responding :).

My name is Risha. I am of Indian descent. I love to play soccer and am intrigued by anything mathematics related. Joining a support group has been very outside of my comfort zone because Indian culture is typically not the most open culture.

I am a survivor. I am an over comer.

I am going to turn 21 this year and honestly, I never thought I'd make it this far with everything that has happened. It has taken me almost 2 years of numbing myself from the pain to have the strength to open up about it. I am choosing to open up because I want to help others heal. I can't help others who went through similar things unless I allow myself to soberly walk through the healing process first.

You all inspire me. It takes courage to get up every morning and willingly decide to attempt to put the pieces of our lives back together. I look forward to having friends who understand and will not judge, ridicule or belittle the hurt I have experienced.

Anyway, happy Friday :). Let's be stronger today than we were yesterday.

Sincerely,

Risha :)))

Welcome to AS (After Silence) Risha! :hi:

I am sorry that you have a reason to belong to such a community, but I'm glad you found us! I am glad you have come to the point of breaking the silence about what you've endured and I hope you find that being able to express your pain will help you move forward on your healing journey. What a courageous step to speak out here!

I hope you find AS to be a kind and supportive place of encouragement as you go about the task of picking up the pieces of your life and creating a future filled with promise!

With support,

Activist Ally

Hi Risha.

You are not alone, stepping out of a comfort zone in hopes to find healing from your experience. You will find AS a supportive and safe community to be in. We are all here for you.

I like how you say that you are a survivor and a over comer. :) It is a strong thing to say, and you are. That inspires me. :)

Mary

A long road, Activist Ally, Anya and Mary---

Thank you for your genuine hearts in supporting me through this journey. I am ready to vocalize my struggles and move past my unhealthy coping mechanisms. I pray God gives me the strength to be stronher tomorrow than I was today. Today was not a good day. I returned to my binge eating behaviors because I felt very alone.

Please pray for me. Thank you again for your belief in me :).

Im sorry u went through that ...I know that feeling sometimes even though surrounded by tons of people I feel so alone because its so hard for me to share .... U r not alone ...fully supporting u here and u do have all the tools to heal ....u r very mature smart girl and u will heal and all ready on ur way to it ... Hang in there ...Hope ur day is better today ....

Thank you Just Broken (I don't like calling you that. You are not broken. You are simply learning to see yourself as whole again)

and thank you Anya.

I have been pursuing more avenues to allow my voice to be heard. I am realizing that I only binge/ use bad coping mechanisms when my voice is craving to be heard. My inner voice desires a mature, wise response from others. I feel that my only option is to numb myself when I don't feel that anyone has a wise ear to give (the majority of people I associate with on a daily basis are unwilling/ uncomfortable talking about "sensitive issues" like SA or EDs).

It is really frustrating that all the people in my life are uncomfortable talking about SAs or EDs.

Honestly, 30% of women have been sexually abused.

30% of women who have been sexually assaulted, have eating disorders (not to mention the countless other women have not been sexually assaulted but that are constantly conditioned by global society to have distorted body image)

THAT MEANS 1/6TH OF THE FEMALE POPULATION HAS BEEN SEXUALLY ABUSED AND USES EATING DISORDERS AS COPING MECHANISMS!!!!

1 in 2 overweight people have Binge Eating Disorder or a variation thereof (compulsive eating disorder, bulimia, etc.)

The population of people with both Sexual Assault history or Eating Disorders or Distorted Body Image is HUGEE!!! And yet the general consensus is to push it under the rug, pretending like sexual assault or eating disorders are only applicable to a small percentage of the population.

THIS LUDACRIS IGNORANCE IS INFURIATING!!!!!!!!!!!

okay. Thanks for letting me vent :) lol. I'm not sorry for telling the truth but I am appreciative of whoever has an open ear to listening to my position.

Today, we will be strong. Today, we will fight. Today, we will choose to be the warriors we are asked to be. And we will defeat this bull****!!!

Much love to all survivors :).

Hello Risha :) I read your post a couple of days ago and was inspired, just now getting the chance to reply. You sound like a very intelligent and strong woman, and I am glad you are here! I am also looking to help others but need to help self first, helping others is one of the best feelings in the world! And it helps you too. I am sorry to hear you have an ED, I had one too for six yrs and it started with abuse. I stopped when I was 21, im 23 now. I would binge, throw up, or just binge or just not eat, all of these for days. I'm sorry you are still struggling. I just wanted to welcome you, I am also very new here, I joined about a week ago. I am proud of you being an "over comer" esp coming from a family and even a culture that down not understand. I can relate.

Nice to meet you Risha, my name is Callie :)

Looking forward to hearing what you have to say.

Edited by moonpeye

ur welcome ! Im sure u know u have been very supportive to me the short time u have joined here and I am so amazed at ur maturity and how u handle things ... U r a star ...bigger and better things ur way for sure ....

Thats really good and interesting info u posted ...very eye opening .....I know about no one around u wanting to talk about these things ... I go through that ....a lot of my family just wants me to keep up appearances but think Im done with that ! I could so see u helping others and doing so much ....well u all ready have been the short time u have been here !

Take Care

Callie nice to see u here too ...Sorry u went through that and sure u r finding tons of support here ..I joined 3 weeks and this forum has been so helpful ....Seems we r all int he path of healing ....ur so right helping others is therapy in itself for ourselves ...I hope to do that too

It is very nice to meet you Anya27! I think Risha is a star too.. In fact those exact words crossed my mind, I think about replying so much then I forget all my words, but there must be some reason we both thought of that! It is good to meet another new member, its difficult for me to meet people on here or talk to people, I'm sometimes hesitant so thank you for saying hi Anya! You are one of the first people i noticed on here in fact, because i like the name Anya and my favorite number is 27.. Looking forward to coming to know you both, and sharing this healing :)

Lol that's funny we thought the same ...Yes me too ..before joining I spent weeks just reading posts ....I don't share with many but here I'm finding amazing support so have been sharing and connecting with some ...it does feel good to talk finally ! Its a part of healing I realise ....u r very strong as well and sweet to reach back to me ...I can see.... u have a lot going for u and r very friendly ..anytime u need to talk am here ..I know Ur on Ur way to healing ....

....fully supporting u !! Take care