Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

May Be A Silly Question...about Chat

I was wondering, what exactly is a "crisis"? I mean, I know the obvious like threatening to harm or kill yourself, but what else? I've been feeling kind of confused about that is all.

If someone could clear this up for me I would really appreciate it! :flowers:

I think this is a really good question - but also a question that is very hard to answer - ask 10 people and you will get 10 different replies.

I think that perhaps it is down to the person themselves to know if they are in crisis - rather than going into chat and having someone say 'it sounds like you are in crisis - perhaps you should leave' which must be hugely upsetting for the person in crisis -

But I would say if you are going through that kind of heart racing, fast breathing, mind racing stage - then perhaps writing on the message baord or doing any of the things that calm you first is the best idea. Once you do feel calm then you can go into chat and perhaps talk about what happened.

Going into chat when you are in crisis can make you very vulnerarble - you may say something that you would not normally say - you may be much more easily upset and end up even further into a crisis if the topic is triggering and you may not be thinking straight and say things that can be very upsetting to others in the room.

Others - espcecially chat mods might have different views on this - but that is mine!!

karen

I agree with Karen, a crisis is a state of mind on the person in the crisis truly knows. That makes it hard for us as moderators, because we can only pick up on those who are obviously in crisis, such as being suicidal or threatening any sort of self harm or abusive behavior.

A crisis could also be someone threatening to do something intentionally that may not necessarily be life threatening, such as seeking revenge on a person, perpetrator or using substances such as drugs and alcohol.

Having a bad day, feeling really down and going into chat for support is one thing and is obviously allowed and encouraged, but going into chat in a precarious mental state, where perhaps you are extremely sensitive to triggers, anger etc... should be avoided and those are the time where a hot line with trained professionals would be the better place to turn for support.

Hope this helps!

Nicole