Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

What Careers/jobs Are You All Doing?

LUCY

Hi,

I have been on this site awhile now and I find its great finding out peoples ages and countries where they live, its nice to get to know people so... I just wondered what kind of stuff people are doing???

hi lucy, i'm studying to b a medical office manager...i can do anything under my title. like phlebotomy (i used to do that), xray tech, pharmacy tech, ekg's, etc....i work as a supervisor for a cleaning company at the moment. i am a mother. i have one child. she's 1 and her name is jasmine too lol

Jasmine

Hi guys... I am Student at Lake Zurich High School. I babysit a little... lol give me a break i'm only 16. :blush: But I want to go into Adoption or a social worker. *shurgs* not sure yet... I just want to help kids. Hopefully I'll be able to get onto my own two feet to do all that. :unsure:

Well thats what i wanna do....

Liz

Hi everyone.

I have enjoyed reading all your posts, People are doing so many interesting things.

The career choices we have made involve helping people in some way, Like mariposa stated!!!! Yet we are so different in the routes we took i.e. some people went to do nursing, arts, teaching, social work, stay at home parent (probably the most challenging!!) Like mariposa said:-

"how is that for having been given lemons and making lemonade"

Take care lucy

Edited by LUCY

Currently I am a real estate assistant and a business owner. I also work retail part-time and go to Nursing school, though I took the Spring Semester off.

:wub:Lucy,

I am a stay at home wife. I do a lot of RAINN (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network) Charities and basically just do the wife thing. But I have a lot of Hobbies like Astronomy and playing the piano and talking to all of my beautiful on-line friends!

Love Always, Haullie :hug:

My favorite Job is Mommie!! :wub:

To the greatest son on earth.... (I'm a bit bias. :P )

But to earn a buck or two -

I'm a Systems Analyst.

Never went to school for it - it was sorta a nack for me. I have an uncanning ability to take something "unbreakable" and break it - or take something broken and figure out how to fix it. (I'm sure my boss had a though sale trying to take a secretary and promote her to a systems analyst though.)

Those of you who don't know what you want to do - don't pressure yourself - just be true to the things that you have a passion for and chances are - you'll end up with something that makes you very happy. Remember, the job does not have to define you. Life is so much more than what you do for a living.

Wishing you all the best and a year greater than any you've ever had before!

Balue

I work at a customer service desk (which i do enjoy), where it is very very busy at just about all times. Theres more id like to do such as getting into some social sciences but for now this is where it is at.

:)

Donna =)

It's really good to know that you all were able to "pick up" and move on to rewarding jobs. I am a professonal psych patient!!! I work at a mental health drop in for only 10 hours a week. That's all I can do, it's my 1st job and I'm 31 years old!!!  I'm on a disability pension and probably will be for the rest of my life, but oh well!! I'm very sure though that I have kept quite a few psychiatrists gainfully employeed over the years!!

Teardrop

i'm a lineman for comcast ,yeah i'm the cable guy!

I'm a behaviour support worker and before you ask basically I work with 14-16 year olds who have been kicked out of school because of behavioural problems.

Challenging and extremely hard work at times but just so rewarding!

Sonic xx

Guest Kandle

I'm 22 and in the Navy, I work with an Air Wing so I'm on Land about 50% of the time. I work as a Yeoman, which is like a secretary on a power trip. But I've also published three novels and 2 short stories in anthologies.

Guest starlite

I am a special education children. I work with abused and emotionally disturbed children.

Stressful, challenging, but can also be very rewarding.

Hi! I love these type of questions. :) I'm only 15, a freshman at high school. But I want to be either a child counseling psychologist or work for the Humane society, perferably like those animal cops on the animal planet chanel :blush: I also would loovvvee to be a mom :)

:wub: Alyssa :wub:

I can't work. I'm on the permenant sick. I am a mum to a 4-year-old daughter. I share that reponsibility with my mum. Because of my uncontrolled epilepsy and IBS(irritable bowel syndrome) which causes some LOVELY stomach problems I need a bit of extra help.

*Sighs and shrugs* Such is life :hammer::hammer::hammer:

I am a full time college sophomore studying health and counseling psych and minoring in women's studies. I want to go to Lesley or BU after I graduate to get my master's in mental health counseling and work at a crisis center. I also want to get into political activism more.

Lindsay

Guest RarelySane

I'm new to these forums and probably won't post that often since I have little free-time :(

Anyways, I'm stuck in Wal-Mart full-time while also being full-time at a local Community College just doing my general studies. I'm hoping to trasfer colleges and major in Herpetology (Study of Reptiles and Amphibians). My ultimate goal is to open up a duel 'business'... rescuing abused and unwanted reptiles (particularly the bigger ones that many people buy without reading up on what they're in for) and keeping/breeding venomous reptiles primarily to aid U.S. Antivenin supplies. My idea for the rescuing of big, unwanted reptiles came from one man that bought a South American Andaconda (Yes, the BIG 20+ foot snakes!!) from a local pet store without reading up or researching the species whatsoever. Authorities found out about the snake when it got loose in a residential neighborhood and unforntunately the snake was killed. That and it's just plain horrid to abuse and not care for such pretty animals.. :angry:

Heh, hope to talk to some people soon if I can get a day off from work and school :blink:

Edited by RarelySane
  • 2 weeks later...

i am a 25 year old 'super senior' at a state university, i just changed my major from interior design to interdisciplinary studies--hard to explain but dealing with how to make people comfortable in their homes but using recycled resources and meshing with the enviornment instead of wrecking it. the only actual jobs ive had are babysitting and doing community service at the homeless shelter , but now im just trying to finish school.

i have minors completed in art and sociology, so i think when i finally first get out of school i'm going to work for united way--i also am planning to join the peace corps, when i feel really ready--i was supposed to go last august--but i didnt graduate and my life kinda fell apart--as ya know how that goes--but i will go one day soon--either to help aids mission in africa, or water and sanitation/construction somewhere. i kinda want to work at an art gallery too--so i guess really its all up in the air., for now anyway.--

I drive mini-buses for schools and social services, the hours suit me and I contribute towards making kids and adults lives better without any of the major stress !!!

Another lemon making lemonade ............ :hug:

I'm in school full-time too. I guess I'm not quite as generous of myself as you guys all are... I have 3 semesters left and then I am going to grad school. I want to be a linguist, preferably historical. It's a hard field to be a professor in, but I am going to try. I've also though recently about doing some forensic linguistics, which would be helping cops with language. Like, if a serial killer calls the police, I could tell how old he is, where he is from, etc. by his voice and speech patterns. Similar at-trial stuff like saying, yes, that really was his voice, especially if they try to mask their voice or something. Maybe I'll do both. I love being in school, and I'm really good at it. I'm taking 20 hours this semester.

My mom was a probation officer for juvenile girls, and I wanted to be a social worker when I was younger. And then I realized I just can't get away from what I really want to do, it's like my mind is hardwired for it. But you are all so awesome for giving so much of yourselves to the same world that took so much already.

hey everyone, this is so cool reading what everyone does, i was reading through saying things like "wow" to myself and "oh, i never realised you could have one of those" and "blimey thats a challenging job" hee hee, anyway, i have been working in a childrens hospice for 3 years now which i love, my job is so varied and i never know what i maight be doing, i do anything from going iceskating, give massages in the sensory room (with all those pretty lights and bubble tubes), swimming in the hydro pool, to painting and story telling, suctioning a tracheostomy!, resusitating someone!, visits to the farm to playing on the playstation, looking after children with challenging behaviour, special needs and end of life care, to supporting families after their child has died and caring for the child after death up until their funeral in our special rooms and also help to organise funerals and desighn the order of service sheet! i take the lead in organising music sessions every month and love playing the piano! i also have written a book of bereavement poems which i published and sold through the hospice, and am just writing my second book i would love to eventually be a mental health nurse and be a bereavement counciller.

sorry to write so much and go on loads its just i love lovelove my job soooo much!!

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

• 2 weeks later...

I am a mom and a wife, just graduated from Northern Michigan University this past May (with Honors) I am currently working as a desk clerk in the operating room and when I move back to Michigan I will return to my job that I had just after grad at a Medical center as a receptionist/medical records/assistant biller.

This kills some of the curiousity, lol. Not all!! :P

Tira