Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

An Apprehensive Hello

I am a little apprehensive about joining here. I don't think I am brave enough to tell my story any time soon and I have such a hard time putting a voice to my feelings about it. So, some might wonder why I am here.

Anyway, this is just an introduction and I think I can handle that. I am 33 year old special education teacher for emotionally disturbed children. I have earned two bachelors degrees in psychology and special education. I enjoy reading, crocheting and working in the children ministry at church.

So, I keep myself very busy but, lately, it is getting harder and harder to escape my past. I really believed that if I became a better person I could overshadow my childhood. Make up for it so it would disappear. But that didn't happen and I have finally had to start exploring what happened and how it has affected me.

:wave: Teach, and welcome to AS! No worries about not wanting to post. You don't have to do anything you don't want to here.

It does interest me, though about emotionally disturbed children and their behavior, and how young the children are that you teach? You can PM me with the info if you feel comfortable.

:notalone::youcanheal:

Hi TeachingwithHope,

My name is Lynn, and I am a member of the New Member Support Team. I just wanted to take the time to say welcome to After Silence.

I really believed that if I became a better person, I could overshadow my childhood. Make up for it so it would disappear. But that didn't happen and I have finally had to start exploring what happened and how it has affected me.

I can so identify with your words here. I was the same way until I slipped and so disgraced myself in my own eyes that I have never been able to forgive myself...After Silence has helped me cope though.

I hope that you find comfort and support here too. I am glad that you have joined with us and look forward to getting to know you. If you need anything or have questions about the boards or how something works, please send me a personal message. I will gladly help in any way possible...also if you need someone to listen, let me know.

Take care,

hi TeachingwithHope

I guess I am just as apprehensive as you. I know how you feel in many ways. Feel free to message me at anytime and know you are not alone. I know what it is like to not be able to tell your story quite yet, but at least you are taking the initiative to come to the board and join.... it shows courage and strength.

<3 Jules

Hey!

Welcome to AS.

You can take your time to share your story. No one here will judge you; we are all here to support one another. I have been on here for awhile and have never shared my whole story on the boards. Take your time we're not going anywhere!

PS I love your job! :)

Welcome to the board .. :aswelcomesu:

teachingwithhope,

:aswelcomesu:

I am really sorry for the things that led you here but I am glad that you found your way to AS. Take your time and look around; I am sure that you will be feeling comfortable and at home in no time. There are some great people here who will offer you the support and encouragement you are looking for and deserve. Take good care of yourself and know that you aren't alone.

:bighug::supportu::luck::notalone::bighug:

Welcome! Take your time. Get comfortable. Do as much as you can when you can.

"I am 33 year old special education teacher for emotionally disturbed children. I have earned two bachelors degrees in psychology and special education."

A 4th grader with severe PTSD brought me to where I am now. His history triggered a lot in me. His acting out behaviors left me jealous; I wished I could have said and done what he was saying and doing. I longed for the support he had. He allowed me to care for him and in turn I learned I needed to care/parent myself the way I should have been parented when I was a child….I am very grateful to him and the lessons he brought me.

You too will be blessed with this lessons just give yourself the time you need.

Tears

Welcome to After Silence :flowers: Take your time and when you feel comfortable we are here to listen. :hug::hug::hug:

• 3 weeks later...
So, I keep myself very busy but, lately, it is getting harder and harder to escape my past.

We have many similarities. I am very involved with church, scrapbooking, crocheting, reading and I am an early education teacher with a special interest in special needs field. I have come to realize in the past few months that the business has shielded my pain and memories. The busier I stay, the less pain I feel. Welcome!