Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

New Forums

Here is an idea who's time has come. Tell me what you think?

The idea is for 2 new forums. One for women (or men) over 30.

The other is for teens.

I have seen this work at other message boards and perhaps we should give it a try. Powers that be in AS, let me know what you think.

thank you

I am not a power that be but I think that would be a good idea so long as there were other joint forums as we can all learn from and support each other whatever our ages but there are some issues which are just different as you get older.

Hope that makes some sense.

XXX

personally i dont think having seperate adult forums is such a good idea..cos..where do ya draw the line!!

i think a teen section is a good idea..for like kids from 14 to 18 say..after that tho, i dont think things should be spilt up more..cos well, where do ya draw that line...i am 25..so i woulndt have acess to the adults forum....yet, i am a grown up, i contribute to society, i am inteliegent enought to be able to discuss things is a calm rational matter and respect other peoples views...yet..im not adult enough to get into the private adults forums....

ok..so if thats the logic...well...is a 30 yr old then adult enough to be in a forum that a 6o yr old could also use...

only way i can see things working is if we had a forums for teens, then 20somthings, then 30 somthing, then 40 somthing, then 50 somthings ....ya get my point!!

would take up too much space and be under used.

i do agree that a forums for the kids might be a nice idea tho (by that i mean a teens forums) as they do have very differing needs from adults members..however, the adult members...i dont think its fair to say only when your over 30 can you be encapsulated into a seperate group that needs to discuss adult issues...

cos well..as i say, im 25..i work, teach special ed, i pay my taxes, i own my home and pay my morgage, i contribute to society, i help out charities...im..an adult ya know.

Well heck 20 and up. It can work, I know it can because it works at other websites. I would go there, but my community is here.

I mean we do have separate forums for different types of ppl here.

Does anyone have any ideas on how this could be modified to make everyone happy?

I see what you mean too sonnet, but I also like the idea of a separate place for teens(or minors). The only reason I feel this is a good idea is because of the mention of drug use and explicit details shared here. Although I feel everyone could benefit from reading this stuff, it could also be harmful to those youngin's that might not have been exposed to these things yet.

Sometimes I don't realize that I am talking to a 13/14/15 year old when I mention things in my current sex life with hubby and sometimes that might not be a good thing, ya know?

If a separate forum won't work, what if the ages of each of us is next to our screen names so we know if someone is very young.

(Sonnet, what you were saying reminds me of the idiocy of this country that at 18 you can die for your country, but you can't have a beer. lol )

Edited by azazo

Thank you all for the suggestions and comments. I will take it to the other mods and we will come back to you all.

Keep them coming :flowers:

Thanks for making a suggestion tuliptorn :flowers: I'm going to pass it onto the administrators.

The decision as to if these suggestions will be a reality on AfterSilence, ultimately rests with the administrators, personally I believe there are strong reasons both for and against the uptake of this new suggestion. Obviously, anything that will benifit the community as a whole and enchance the overall healing experience that can be obtained here at AS, and is technically and stratigically possible, has a good case for being uptaken, however personally I don't know if this is the case or not, and ultimately it's not my call anyways :)

I personally can see the reasons, both for and against such forums, such as:

For:

* People can often relate to people of the same age better than those whole are of different ages and generations

*Age specific issues, such as menopause, and puppetry can be discuss with the relative age groups

* Networking with members of the same generation can be health

Against:

* Age isn't, by any respects, a measure of maturity, or readiness to discuss certain issues, and at AS, I know there are many teenagers, and young people, who have manurity beyond their years, and as such, I wouldn't see it as fair to have them excluded from adult discussions simply because of a social classification such as their age group.

*Administration and moderation of such forums such prove a very difficult task, because, A) all the site's moderators are over 20, and all forums need moderation, by more then more than one moderator (incase of unavailability), so in many generations, and age groups, we have no, moderators falling within that age group

*We already have a minimum joining age of 14 here at AS

*How would we setup, and administer, who gets access to what forum? It's not a requirement to have your birthday recorded at AS, and many members don't enter their birthday onto their profile, so how would access to the relative forums be given?

*Growing up, is a tranistional thing, e.g. someone could turn 20 tomorrow, meaning that, they could instantly lose access to a teen forum, and be thrown into a 20+ forum, however the amount they've grown up in that 24 hour period, isn't going to be greatly different to any other 24 hour period, and growing up, isn't a instant thing, is's tranistional. Then as Sonnet flagged, where do we draw the line?

*It may mean issues, which other age groups may have a greater understanding of then original thought, maybe excluded from such discussions, e.g. generally it's considered an 25 year old wouldn't know anything about menopause, however, this doesn't take into account specific situaitons such as that 25 year old maybe a doctor and may have alot of valuable insight into such issues.

*We're all survivors, and that's the reason we're all here at AfterSilence, and regardless of our different circumstances, and social groups (e.g. our age or generation), we all share the common goal of healing from the experiences that we have unfairly had bestowed upon us, and as such, a unified approach, and community, allows for that to effectively occur.

I am sure, we can all come up with more reasons both for and against, such forums, and, I am sure the administrators will take into account of all these issues when making a decision (decisions making at AS is very thorough to ensure the best outcomes) as to if they implement such a system or not, and will let you all know their decision when they've made it :) I trust their judgement and I am sure they'll make the best decision for the community.

Tulip, it was a good suggestion weather it is accepted or not. Like I said, I feel irresponsible talking about the sexual experience I had that was good when I know there are youngsters reading. I KNOW they have been forced to grow up too soon and know about this stuff anyway. I just feel guilty for saying some things.

Tulip It is always good to put ideas out there :). Jessy said she will pass it on to the other mods/admins. So we shall see what they say :)

Either way ideas are always good :flowers:

:hug: :hug:

Sad

One way to implement this kind of idea and not exclude people is to have the age-specific forums accessible to all members. This way, teen members can discuss issues that deal more with teen-things, but if an older person wants to add to the discussion they can; the forum is just geared more towards teens, not exclusively for teens. The same thing goes for the a forum for greater-aged :wink: members; it wouldn't need to be exclusively for them, but the topics discussed would be geared more towards those members. This way, there is no issue with moderation because the forums do not have limited access, there is no issue with the ages of members posting in the age-specific forums, and no one would be excluded from any of the discussions in these forums if they didn't wish to be.

Edited by Melzie

I kind like the teen idea...

One way to implement this kind of idea and not exclude people is to have the age-specific forums accessible to all members. This way, teen members can discuss issues that deal more with teen-things, but if an older person wants to add to the discussion they can; the forum is just geared more towards teens, not exclusively for teens. The same thing goes for the a forum for greater-aged :wink: members; it wouldn't need to be exclusively for them, but the topics discussed would be geared more towards those members. This way, there is no issue with moderation because the forums do not have limited access, there is no issue with the ages of members posting in the age-specific forums, and no one would be excluded from any of the discussions in these forums if they didn't wish to be.

YES!!!!!

Thank God somebody knows what I mean!!!!

Excellent!!!!

That's just the way I've seen it done on other forums, and it seems to work well. :)

The decision does rest ultimately with the wonderful people who run this place, so we'll just have to see what they decide.

Edited by Melzie

At first I was going to say that I didn't like that idea, because I'm only 16, yet I am mature, much more than most kids my age. And the things about "adult" topics, sex/drugs/etc. I think most of us have been exposed to that at an early age. Kids in school talk about drugs and sex, anyway. Thanks to my abuse I was pushed into those things early, and I would think the same might be true for many of us. Abuse makes us "grow up" earlier than most would think. Plus, some of the people I've bonded with here are adults; our age hasn't been much of a barrier at all.
But, I think Melzie made a great distinction, because my first thought (actually, worry) was that each one would be "off limits" from each other. I like AS as it is, but I could definitely go for that. :)

Edited by AWhisperofTruth

No whisper, I don't think anyone would want anything to be 'off limits' but some topics important to teens like school and stuff is something some of us older peeps don't relate to anymore or aren't interested in, and at the same time, a teen who doesn't want to read about someones sex life has the chance to know that that is what may be in a thread, ya know? I would want everything to be accessible to all, just in a different forum.

I think personally, this is a good idea as long as their isn't anything off limits for other members, I believe it's a really good idea, because their are many issue which are age specific, and also it will give members an opportunity to connect with, and bond with people of similar age groups, which in society is quite normal, and as long as their is no exclusion of other age groups from the forums then I'm all for it. Also by having it open for all, and as Melzie said, having the forums geared towards but not exclusive, would addresses any of the "against" points I brought up previously. Just my persons view :)

The mod team are discussing it currently, and I'm sure they'll get back to you once they've decided what to do :)

Thanks

John :flowers:

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. We have decided that this idea is a go, therefore I will get these up and running in the next few days and see how they work here.