Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Question On Share Your Story Forum

I have a question about the Share Your Story forum. Here is what one of the guidelines says...

... we have decided to implement an addendum to our Share Your Story guidelines which discourages frequent postings of the same incident in this forum. The reason for this is three-fold:

1. Telling your story is extremely difficult. This forum is one of the least populated in terms of both posting and replies, and many members here avoid this forum because of how much trigger material each post is likely to contain. This means that the posts made in this forum are already at a disadvantage of not being read as frequently as threads in the "Aftermath" or "Simply Life" forum, and we want every post to be read and responded to;

2. Frequent postings of the same event by the same members often take over the posts of other members, who may never venture back into the forum after their initial post due to a lack of replies to be interpreted as a lack of validation of their story. This pushes down their post to where it isn't read or replied to as much as serial, blog-style posts by other members.

and

3. A major concern to reasonably be had by newer members is that the frequency with which one posts directly correlates to the severity of their story. We do not quantify or compete here at AS to have "the worst story," and a member who only has one story to tell may be intimidated and prohibited from doing so when viewing multiple posts from the same person, potentially dismissing and minimizing themselves in the process.

So we ask that each member limit themselves from excessive posting in this forum. Instead of frequent posts looking for support here, we hope the many other forums on this board can be used to communicate your feelings and receive the support you need, or encourage you to add on to the posts that you have already created, especially if you have posted within this forum as recently as the last three months.

I think I understand the purpose of the Share Your Story forum - it's just what it says it is. But I'm unclear on how many posts is "excessive." What if we start off by posting our story as a new Topic in the forum, but want to tell it in stages or chapters? It may take a few posts within that topic to get the whole story out. When you say "add on to the posts you have already created" did you really mean "add on to the Topics you have already created"?

Are you also trying to discourage day-to-day ramblings and stuff that doesn't really have much to do with actually telling one's personal story? That makes sense.

Sorry for all the questions - I am new here and just want to make sure I understand the rules.

The guideline contains the necessary info, but has a lot of long words and sentences. What if you started the guideline by saying "This forum is intended for members to tell their stories. It is not meant for discussing day-to-day events. We recommend you start a new Topic for your story if you are new here. You can add as many posts within that Topic as it takes to share your story. We realize this often takes a while and that is OK. But we ask you to avoid starting new Topics in this forum if you have already started a new Topic recently (within the last 3 months)"?

Thanks.

Thank you for asking for the clarification.

Basically, we don't want the story forum to turn into a blog section, with epic posts. Not only is that not what the forum was intended for, but adding on to a story post continuously bumps the other stories down the forum and many do not get looked at or replied to. Sharing stories is one of the hardest things to do and we don't want stories getting bumped and forgotten. The story forum is also the least viewed and replied to because it is so sensitive.

By asking not to continue to reply to a topic, instead we ask that you edit the original post, the very first post in the thread. If when this is done, you would like for one of the mods or admin to edit the title to show it has been updated, that is fine as well and we have already had requests for that.

I hope this helps?

In an effort to make things easier we have decided to edit the previous guidelines for the "Share Your Story" forum and modify the settings so that stories will appear in the order in which they are posted by the original author. Basically the order of the topics is based on the date the topic was started rather than on the date of the last reply.

This will keep new stories at the top of the forum and hopefully help new members receive the support they deserve. You are free to update your story by replying to your own topic. We only ask that you don't start a new one, but add to the one you have already started. :tealribbon:

• 2 weeks later...