Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Suggestion For Chat?

I doubt it is possible for them to make different color groups this way.

Also, creating division in gender is going to cause issues, not solve them. People will see a male and run rather than actually take the time to talk to them. Also, men are vastly out numbered. We'd stick out as some random color and when someone asks "Why are you grey/purple/neon yellow" we have to say "Oh, because I'm male and obviously a minority...so feel free to be careful about what you say around me and treat me differently." Pass.

I know none of the the above is your intention with the idea and understand that you suggest it without these considerations in mind, I just see it turning into more discrimination for us.

Great idea Shortcake. :up:

Also may a color for males and females.

I really don't like to guess.

And I don't wanna make any gender feel bad.

Found

Generally genders are listed in member account profiles. And one can always simply ask. There are quite a few members with ambigious names, so it's not an uncommon thing.

I think for newbies, if it is even possible for them to have their own color, it should be a choice. Maybe an option in their profile or the chat itself that is set for a month or so. If the mods decide to give it a try, I honestly think the newbies should have a choice in the final decision. After all...they're the ones who will be "colored". If they decide, I say make a new topic asking the newbies to weigh in. Would they find it too discriminatory or actually helpful?

As for the male-female colors...I agree with Shido. I think it would become a form of discrimination or even unintentional segregation. I know when I go into chat, I don't think about the gender of the members....I just know I'm talking to other AS members.

I'm pretty new, I don't have enough posts yet to get into chat, but I think your idea is really good. I have never been in a Survivor chat and even after reading the rules and everything I am still a bit nervous. I don't think it is a good idea to seperate genders though because it does not matter if you are male or female your a Survivor all the same. :flowers:

Edited by FairyWings1986
I doubt it is possible for them to make different color groups this way.

Also, creating division in gender is going to cause issues, not solve them. People will see a male and run rather than actually take the time to talk to them. Also, men are vastly out numbered. We'd stick out as some random color and when someone asks "Why are you grey/purple/neon yellow" we have to say "Oh, because I'm male and obviously a minority...so feel free to be careful about what you say around me and treat me differently." Pass.

I know none of the the above is your intention with the idea and understand that you suggest it without these considerations in mind, I just see it turning into more discrimination for us.

True. I never thought about that. But, I would never run. Men and boys deserve the same amount of support as the females. Thanks for your imput.

My new member color idea was more intent on like..its only a different color for the first month or 2 of joining, and then changes to regular member color.

I had no intent of being discriminatory, I just thought this would make things easier for newer members (male OR female) who may feel uncomfortable first entering chat and not feeling welcomed right away because some members don't know they are new, that's all. :)

Sorry I didn't mean to sound discriminating, never my intention. :cry:

Could you please delete my original post on here. It was a terrible idea. I'm REALLY SORRY.

I'm not sure this would be possible to do. The chat is provided by a chatroom source and they usually just have different colours for mods and regular members.

A problem with new people having a different colour is that someone who may have been on AS for years but is new to the chat would appear as a new member, and a new member who comes in every day would still be like a newbie and people may start welcoming them and explaining to them about the chat room every time they go in.

The chat mods are looking to start hosting some chats for people new to chat to orientate them, so hopefully this will help too.

Possum

HI, im a newbie and i think this is a great idea.

when im in chat i sometimes i feel like im sayin the wrong thing and maybe this could help the other member not take as much offence, seeing that im only starting of.

and alot of the abbrv i dont get and feel stupid askin, so it could help there to.

New members may not want to be bombarded with welcomes and insight. They may want to sit back and abosorb and maybe ask questions when they are ready. To me, its really about empowering a person to take control of their own path here. The survivor should have control over when he/she wants to step forward and be active as opposed to being an observer for a bit. A lot of us on here are very much into helping each other. If a newbie has a different color, I could see where they could possibly be inundated with greetings/advice/guidance when first appearing in chat.

As always, thank you for the suggestions. However, we are unable to do this with the chat program we are currently using.

Take care,

Becky