Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Facebook And After Silence?

I'm pretty sure that it has already been asked about getting a group together on Facebook for After Silence members, I can't exactly remember the response to it but I just thought I would ask again...

If its not possible, I was also wondering what are the rules for creating a group (not called AS or anything like that) just for AS members. I'm sure this doesn't exactly make sense, if not.. sorry.

WiTt!!

I'm in if you want me to join ya.

Love,

Found

I think this is a good idea, my concern is that facebook is a public place, and I'm not public with my abuse and have no intention of going public! So I suppose it would depend on the group name.. although I know there is a way of making a group private so it doesn't appear on the members walls... I don't know how to do that though! If it's private group, I'm in too!

oohh great idea!(:

can i join!?

i just got a facebook.

but i don't feel comfortable having my other friends know about the abuse.

i guess i'll just make a separate account. lol

I'm already a part of a secret facebook froup, connected to the same thing. It's my support group. But you know, if the groups are secret, then nobody can see it, nobody can search for it, and only admins would be able to invite new members. I'm actually an admin in the one for my support group.

What I'm trying to say is that it wouldn't matter if it's name was, for instance, After Silence, because nobody can see anything about it or even see if somebody joined it except the people that are already a part of it.

Then of course you'd have to find a way to get facebook names here from those wanting to join and then invite them through the group.

Oh, and I just wanted to let you know, I just made one, just to see how it works and stuff, and it's extremely easy. Let me know if you guys wanna use that one, or if you want to make a new one. I will delete it if you guys want to make a new one. You could even check out if anybody can see it by searching for it. It's not possible, and members who join the group won't get anything posted on their walls about having joined the group.

Edited by Ingz

I know how to creat groups on facebook and stuff.. I just wanted to make sure that there was no rule against it and how the admins/mods felt about it before going ahead and doing so.

Ahh, of course. Hehe, I just always have to check things out to see how they work. Might be an annoying piece of characteristics. :P

Anyway, I think I might have gotten myself into a bit of a problem. As easy as it was to make it, I can't find anywhere how to delete it.

Anyway, I found a thread where it says that there is/was a myspace group.

Edited by Ingz

We will definitely add a Facebook page for After Silence very soon and will post the link on the board!! It will be a public page, however, similar to the one RAINN and other organizations have on Facebook. :flowers:

For safety reasons, only AS staff can create and monitor any group/activity that is directly associated with After Silence.

It would be a goofy name or something inspirational, pretty much nothing to do with AS, however its only open to those from AS, if that makes sense.

:up:

We will definitely add a Facebook page for After Silence very soon and will post the link on the board!! It will be a public page, however, similar to the one RAINN and other organizations have on Facebook. :flowers:

For safety reasons, only AS staff can create and monitor any group/activity that is directly associated with After Silence.

thanks Vera! :hug: if ok.

Found

I'd worry about the publicness, even to AS members, of everyone being able to see our real names, places of work, photos, educations, families etc.

Whoever is running the group would have to be friends with the others to invite them, which would show to their friends.

We don't know all of the members personally so I'd be scared of a malicious person joining and then contacting my friends or something :s and I'm not going to make a separate facebook account - far too confusing!

But I think if everyone is okay with the risks, then why not? It of course would be up to individuals if they joined.

:-)

Whoever is running the group would have to be friends with the others to invite them, which would show to their friends.

is that so with private groups?

i actually remembered there was a group and looked for it a while ago, but :duh: did not find it. so i think it should be posted somewhere here if other people want to join.... cause since it's secret, well, nobody can know about it.

possum, i understand your concern about privacy. i personally do not want to add just whoever is on AS to my fb friends. i only add those who i feel i know on a personal basis already, and who i would call, well, friends. :flowers:

even if you join such a group, you can still protect your privacy from potentially malicious members. i have my settings so that only my friends can see my friends list, for example. some goes with all other info you mention.

and i think it is definitely time to have some official AS representation on fb. :up:

I mean whoever is running the group would have to be friends with people to invite them, and then their friends could see who they are friends with.

Unless AS had their own account which people could become friends with? I don't know!

xx

I have quite a few AS members on my facebook, but I always make it known that I don't talk about the stuff I talk about on here publicly. Private messages and chat only. . .

Most of my irl friends do know stuff, but there are a few better off not knowingcertain things.

A private group is a good idea if we can make it work.

We will definitely add a Facebook page for After Silence very soon and will post the link on the board!! It will be a public page, however, similar to the one RAINN and other organizations have on Facebook.

Thank you, Vera! Sounds good! :)

• 2 weeks later...

So, has anything been done yet?

• 2 weeks later...

I might join or "like" the after silence fb page......I already have fb "liked" rape support pages, I think ppl just think I am supporting them, not that I necessarily am a survivor.....unless of course, they are one of the ppl that knows..

I won't post any personal info on it but I will join or like the page and read the posts..

• 1 month later...

It would definitely bring awareness to rape/child abuse ect to have a page on Facebook in regards to AS. From my experience I would do a page & not a group, it is easier to like something than to push for people to join.

Can't wait to help push you guys when you decide to create a page! :)