Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Is It Possible To Go A Whole Day Without Thinking About It?

Right now it seems impossible to go a day without it affecting my life in some way. I have tried counselling at my university but they only give 6 free sessions, then you have to go find somewhere else and pay around £25 an hour and I just don't have that kind of money. And I don't even have a support group to go to or anything, where I live it is almost unheard of to have any of these services.

• 3 months later...

I am not sure if I ever manage to go a whole day without thinking about it.. sometimes it will pop into my head just for a few seconds and I manage to distract myself. Other days it will pop in to my head and the more I try not to think about it, the more I end up thinking about it and it will stick around for a few days bothering me. I hope I do eventually get to a stage where it no longer bothers me like that.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I wonder this sometimes.  I feel like I've put a lot of work into healing but it still pops into my head almost every day.  I guess now it's just a question of how strongly I react to the memories, how much it affects my every day life, is that silly?

• 1 year later...

Honestly sometimes I do manage to have a good few days where I’m not thinking about it, but then the ptsd shudders come back and i’m welcomed with unwanted flashbacks. But I think they will become fewer as more time passes *hopefully 🤞🤞🤞

• 2 months later...

I used to wonder that. Then I let myself think about it. I talked to friends. I asked what lies I learned from it. I changed the ending, reassured myself I deserved to be saved. I imagined kid me being saved by my modern day heros, them wiping my face clean and hugging me and taking me to their parents' house for food. I painted and let myself think of the painting. It's still there. I still cry or get angry. IDK if I've ever gone a day without thinking about it. But it's different now. And I think that's enough for now.

• 1 month later...

In my situation with my ex NO it was really really traumatic. I’ve been trying so hard not to use meditation anything else to make me feel normal or be normal. 

• 1 month later...
42 minutes ago, Friendlylife said:

where the thing where everyone is on active on right now?

Welcome to After Silence, Friendlylife! I'm glad you found your way here, but I am terribly sorry for what you've been through that brought you here. Whatever your trauma may be, you are welcome. You will find a lot of friendly and supportive people here. :) 

In case you're unsure, AS is a forum, not a chatroom, so it works a bit differently (I saw your comment on Capulet's profile). You'll post comments in whatever thread interests you, or you can create your own threads with the topic that's on your mind. When you post, people can reply to you. A good first place to write something is the Welcome section, found here: http://www.aftersilence.org/forum/index.php?/forum/15-public-welcome33/

Click the button that says "Start new topic" and introduce yourself. 

Does that all make sense? Wishing you all the best. ❤️ 

-Finch

• 1 year later...