Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Not Sure If I'm Ready, But Trying To Be

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and am eager to begin the healing process after four years of denial. Not completely sure what that process will look like, or really what "healed" looks like in the end, but I think it's about time to began to find out. I look forward to meeting you all and learning how to be as supportive to others here as everyone else I've seen post.

I'm a little nervous about being in the right place or not, but I hoping to make some friends, so please message me! I'm a teen who loves hiking, reading, yoga, and playing guitar (country, rock, and the best band of all time, Rush) for starters.

Talk soon!

Mailee

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and am eager to begin the healing process after four years of denial. Not completely sure what that process will look like, or really what "healed" looks like in the end, but I think it's about time to began to find out. I look forward to meeting you all and learning how to be as supportive to others here as everyone else I've seen post.

I'm a little nervous about being in the right place or not, but I hoping to make some friends, so please message me! I'm a teen who loves hiking, reading, yoga, and playing guitar (country, rock, and the best band of all time, Rush) for starters.

Talk soon!

Mailee

Hi Mailee and welcome to AF (After Silence)!!! :hi:

I'm glad you've reached out for support here and I hope you find it a kind place full of compassion as you discover for yourself what healing means for you and what it will look like for you. :)

Wishing you much support..

Activist Ally

Hi Mailee,

Welcome to AS. I'm sorry for the trauma that you have suffered, but you will find this a very supportive site. I was nervous, too, in the beginning, but everyone here is very kind. The great thing is that this is a place where we all understand and no longer have to feel so alone. I wish you well on your healing journey.

Mary

:supportu:

hi Mailee

welcome to After Silence,

I hope you are finding your way around okay, if you have any questions, please let me or any member of the Newbie support team know,

take care, Paula

Hi Mailee—

I'm new too—just recently started understanding where a host of symptoms have been coming from over the years, and uncovered memories in therapy that brought me here. I'm in my late 30s now, so it's good that you are looking for help and healing at this early stage of your life!

I'm so sorry for the pain that you are in, and I too am trying to understand what healing looks like.

Here here to RUSH—I was just rocking out to Moving Pictures yesterday in my car on my way to therapy. It helped. I learned how to play drums by air drumming to Neil's amazing playing. Music is now my profession, but before I was a professional, it was the perfect escape/coping mechanism/way to make friends. Getting lost in music is the most healthy drug I think there is—not just the sound, but the physicality of it. People who have experienced trauma, especially as children/teens, need to connect to their bodies and regain a sense of agency (your body is YOURS completely). Anything physical will do this, but you have the right idea: yoga, hiking, and playing an instrument will all help with this. I'm a runner, I swim when I can, and I play tennis when I can. Tennis and drumming were great for me in high school (I mean, you get to hit stuff as hard as you want in a really focused, meaningful way).

Anyway, good to see you here—take care of yourself.

More hugs.

Edited by DamagedButNotBroken

Hi Mailee—

I'm new too—just recently started understanding where a host of symptoms have been coming from over the years, and uncovered memories in therapy that I was sexually abused when I was very little (2-6). I'm in my late 30s now, so it's good that you are looking for help and healing at this early stage of your life!

I'm so sorry for the pain that you are in, and I too am trying to understand what healing looks like.

Here here to RUSH—I was just rocking out to Moving Pictures yesterday in my car on my way to therapy. It helped. I learned how to play drums by air drumming to Neil's amazing playing. Music is now my profession, but before I was a professional, it was the perfect escape/coping mechanism/way to make friends. Getting lost in music is the most healthy drug I think there is—not just the sound, but the physicality of it. People who have experienced trauma, especially as children/teens, need to connect to their bodies and regain a sense of agency (your body is YOURS completely). Anything physical will do this, but you have the right idea: yoga, hiking, and playing an instrument will all help with this. I'm a runner, I swim when I can, and I play tennis when I can. Tennis and drumming were great for me in high school (I mean, you get to hit stuff as hard as you want in a really focused, meaningful way).

Anyway, good to see you here—take care of yourself.

More hugs.

Hi DamagedButNotBroken,

Glad to see I have a fellow Rush fan here! I'm actually wearing my Clockwork Angels Tour T-Shirt as I write :) Their music has certainly gotten me through a lot. My father drums and Neil Peart is his idol, so I suppose I have him to thank for introducing me. Whenever I start feeling overwhelmed, I start playing Hope and it really helps. Being trapped inside lately, learning 2112 for guitar has also really helped keep me distracted. I'm glad you've been able to turn music into something more than an outlet, but a profession. What a great thing to share with the world.

I'm sorry for the circumstances which made you find your way here, but I'm glad you did. I really appreciate your welcome. Hopefully we can both find out what healing looks like.

Thanks again for the welcome.