Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

So I've been browsing some similar sites to After Silence, and I've noticed that a lot of them seem to have a "quick escape" button on their pages. When this is clicked, it takes you instantly to Google, which would be nice for those of us who have family members/roommates unaware of our experiences. I think it would be helpful to have too, just to help preserve privacy.

Can you not just put Google as a favourite and click it if you need to do that? Firefox and Chrome also have private/incognito browsing which don't save your history when you use them. IE may also have this but I don't use it!

Rosi

I just quickly click minimise or the X - I am lucky that husband does not know how to maximise stuff - or even that you can minimise!

karen

The only issue is a technical one -- it's hard to implement such a link onto every AS page, my advice would be as follows, update yourself to latest version of your favorite web browser with tabs, then always have Google as the first tab, and have AS open in the second, if you quickly need to close, then click CTRL + W

It's always best to test this works on your individual computer before in a real situation. Also by doing this, it mean people can't click the back button to see what you've been viewing, where a Quick Escape button would allow this.

Hope this helps :flowers:

John

Good idea.

But I think all you have to do is x out at the top right.

Found

Thanks for the CTRL+W I didn't know about that!!!! Handy :)

The only issue is a technical one -- it's hard to implement such a link onto every AS page, my advice would be as follows, update yourself to latest version of your favorite web browser with tabs, then always have Google as the first tab, and have AS open in the second, if you quickly need to close, then click CTRL + W

It's always best to test this works on your individual computer before in a real situation. Also by doing this, it mean people can't click the back button to see what you've been viewing, where a Quick Escape button would allow this.

Hope this helps :flowers:

John

Here's a tip that might help people who don't know about it. If you live with other people or share a computer, the best way to hide it is to use Private Browsing. That means that the browser does not save any history, so nobody can see the pages you've been looking at.

I use Firefox and Internet Explorer, and all you have to do is click the tab at the top left of the page and you will see an option that says "Start InPrivate Browsing." You can also do this if you right click on the shortcuts for Internet Explorer and Firefox. The option should still be there. This has been a real lifesaver for me when I have used public computers or the computer over a friend's house to access this site!

One thing to keep in mind if you are using the 'private browsing function': Cookies, history etc are indeed not stored. However, if you close the window without logging out of AS while having another window open, you are not automatically logged out from AS. When you then go back to the AS website you will see that you are still logged in. At least that how it is for Firefox. (I was really surprised when I noticed that).